paul31

New career CCTV installer

hi,

I work in IT, but i am looking to get out of it. i work for a small company, mainly do small business, repairs, small networks, schools etc. the money is very poor and i need a change, from speaking to some people they say that the pay is pretty ok in CCTV.I am thinking of doing a CCTV course here in Ireland, and was wondering after I finish it would companies consider me for employment, or would i need to spend more time learning etc. Also I have a ceft in electronics and comptuters 2 years like a hnd in the uk , I am 31 and have 5 years IT experience. would this help me more with looking for work in this field?

thanks

Paul

Hey, who told you they pay is Good and were is this person?

I thought you IT Boys had the Mansion / Bentley / Girls on each arm !

Seriously thought, If you do a CCTV course this will certainly help and give you a grounding of the basics. Problem in the UK is that most security companies are desperate for installers that are multi skilled e.g they can install CCTV, Intruder Alarms and Access Control. A better option would be to sub contract to various companies, you are more likley to get CCTV work that way.

One thing in your favor is new developments in CCTV, especially Networked Cameras and Recorders, you would be surprised the amount of people that are good with analoge CCTV but stumble when it comes to Network configuration. Perhaps you should could persuade your current employers to offer simple networked CCTV, this way you can gain experience whilst getting payed!

There are some very good threads that are worth reading and experienced people on this Forum that are always willing to help.

Good Luck

^Excellent advice, there... I got into CCTV coming from the IT field, just as my employer was getting into PC-based DVRs, so my skills were particularly attractive for him. Now that we've been moving into megapixel IP cameras, my networking experience has been even more valuable... to the point that we've "stolen" at least one major customer from my friend's employer, because the client wanted IP cameras, and the systems they sell don't have IP-cam support and nobody there (at least, nobody who has a say in things) cares to get into IP-based video.

Access controls and alarm systems are more and more getting network support as well, so if you're making a jump from from IT, this is the perfect time to be doing it, because your current skillsets will be particularly valuable.

Paul31,

I would say YES. Look at telephone on your desk - its probably IP phone, look at the fingerprint readers now and access control - they are IP as well, look at the CCTV now - its moving your way. I think you can easy go for basic CCCTV course to get basic stuff what is CCTV etc, but try to become ip/megapixel installer and technician. More money/very little competition.

Dont forget - its not rocket science, you can get lot of books online, use google for ANY topic about CCTV, optics, networks. And you already have bit of it - 5 yrs IT experience.

IMO - it is right time to do such a move right now.

P.S. Books, books, reading, reading, forums, articles, free seminars.

Good luck.

TRUE!!

After been into 6 Yrs in to Analog Security systems with major system Integraters... today I am capable of install/ commission Analog CCTV , ACS , Fire Alarm , Intruder Alarm , FM200,VESDa etc. aspiration systems , PA System , water Leak Detection..............with some 5-10 diffrent maks in each domain....

Thus I was fullly saturated and then I decided to Migrat @ Ingram , distribures IP based Systems as well . Thus got opportunity to work/design on IP cams, servers , networks , storages etc...

certainly you should stick into your field of networking and explore the new trend of IP serveillance..... you will get best opportunity in N/w.ing itself..

Good Luck!

Kalpesh

Test Test Test - get some cameras and spend every night and day putting them up and down out in the pitch dark and the rain and the .. well you get the idea .. just get some cheap cameras for now and test them out, make sure to get at least one box camera so you can learn to focus and setup properly, and some infrared and true day night ones, some RG59 Siamese and some BNCs, come to the forum if you have questions, you might fry a couple or mess things up on your way to becoming a professional CCTV installer and technician, but experience is not just a word.

Then when you start to mess with IP cameras, you will be way ahead of the other IP companies.