G22

Panasonic WJ-HD500A vs WJ-HD220

Given the two options, which would you choose for home use?

Aside from having more HD space (incl. the Extension Unit option), lack of HD fans in the WJ-HD500A, what other pros/cons are there?

Do they both use the same internal software, incl. the built-in web server?

Smart-recording on both? Can allocate ~ 30fps for any one cam on motion for example

Also, what does the 'A' represent on the WJ-HD500? I have seen a 'B' version, and also a 'BV' version I believe.

When they both first came out, which one was first? I see they are still offering the WJ-HD220, so that must say something about it.

Thx for any info.

If I had to make the choise I would use the HD220. Smaller, less power consumption. The HD500 series used to swallow Hard Drives due to Heat Issues. The newer HD309 and HD316 would be a better comparison depending on how many cameras you need. They are pricey.

They are both browser based but the internal "Web Pages" are very different. The HD220 is cleaner than the HD500.

The 500, 500A usually means there was a hardware revision change between units but they usually have the same functionality or the later une had more functionality. This is true with most of the Panasonic CCTV stuff.

The HD500 was the first reliable DVR solution (Compared to PC running Windows 98). For it's time it was awesome. The HD220 came later.

New install? Why not go IP and use an ND300A or ND200?

WJ-HD500A has been discontinued for a while and was replaced by WJ-HD316A... If you have this HD500 model, it is a 16 channel recorder...

As for HD220 model, it is a 8 channel recorder... much less in feature and according to Panasonic, it is capped to maximum 320GB (we have taken it up to 1TB with no problems)...

HD220 series systems are what Panasonic like to call, "entry level" systems.. Works fairly well considering all its features... and mainly designed for small businesses and even homeowners (still very expensive in many cases compared to more cost effective DVRs from different manufacturers)...

Here is where you can find most of HD220 pertinent info: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=95250&catGroupId=14463&surfModel=WJ-HD220/160&displayTab=O

Here is where you can find pertinent info for HD316A: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=88391&catGroupId=14463&surfModel=WJ-HD316A/250

HD316 model was designed for mid-range and for high end customer base... fairly expensive... but delivers exceptional performance...

There is yet another level of Panasonic DVRs that came in the market recently... It is WJ-RT416 series and here are some of its info: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=178440&catGroupId=14463&surfModel=WJ-RT416/500V

The most current and complete Panasonic DVR lineup is here:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelList?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&catGroupId=14463

If you had the choice to use any of these items, I'd say to go with HD220 model.. fairly easy to work with, very clean GUI and easy to operate...

Thx.

Looks like this HD220 is not working anyway. It keeps rebooting shortly after the System Check screen after putting a HD in. I have tried 3 diff HD's 5400 and 7200RPM. If I put no HD in, it just beeps with the red err light. Oh well.

ETA: Actually, they are all 7200rpm. Would not using 5400rpm HD's cause this reboot issue?

Thx.

Looks like this HD220 is not working anyway. It keeps rebooting shortly after the System Check screen after putting a HD in. I have tried 3 diff HD's 5400 and 7200RPM. If I put no HD in, it just beeps with the red err light. Oh well.

ETA: Actually, they are all 7200rpm. Would not using 5400rpm HD's cause this reboot issue?

Here is a suggestion... I do not remember what type of power supplies they use, but I have seen power supplies gave in over period of time.. so, look into replacing it... also, make sure you assigning the appropriate master/slave tabs on these drives.. That also could be giving you the same results...

CCTV_Suppliers Wrote

Here is a suggestion... I do not remember what type of power supplies they use, but I have seen power supplies gave in over period of time.. so, look into replacing it... also, make sure you assigning the appropriate master/slave tabs on these drives.. That also could be giving you the same results...

That is a good point. I know for sure that the first and second HD is set to master on the WJ-HD316.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried moving HD jumpers around, 1 x HD connected, 2 x HD's connected, tried another IDE cable... no difference. I even tried for the hell of it wiring the molex connector from a running PC to the HD... no change at all.

It does the same thing... HDD CHECK, SYSTEM CHECK screen, then goes to the DISK MENU (it says ADD beside NO. 1 and NO. 2 so it seems to know they are there fine). It then beeps every second, the ERROR light blinks green, and then it reboots automatically at the same time every time.

With no HD connected though, it does the same as before... right after HDD CHECK, ERROR light lights solid red, beeps every second, and keeps doing that indefinitely, and does not reboot.

Seems odd if it the drives/jumpers at this point, but I will try some more. The 2 older drives are Maxtor 120 and 160GB (from the HD500), and the other I purchased recently (Seagate 320GB). No jumpers were on the Seagate. The HD500 seems to work fine though, but it filthy as hell and looks like rust in spots...and I can definitely understand the heating issue with HD's in the HD500's - need to place in an dedicated A/C room or something.

I may end up just using this AverMedia EB1304NET instead.

Very odd...

Few other things you can try...

As you mentioned, without hard drives, the same problem exists.. It now looks like pointing to the motherboard... How old is this unit? If it is less than three years old, you stand a chance to get this repaired at no additional costs (except shipping costs). If you are not sure the warranty status, call Panasonic (let me know if you need their technical and customer support line) and they can identify if this unit is under warranty... with any luck, it could be under warranty (this model was introduced less than three years ago) and they may ask for receipt... regardless, insist getting the warranty status and chances are good that they will cooperate (I have not seen them turn down warranty repair, may be little frustrating at the beginning, but they will do it).

As for the HD500... if you are noticing rust, then it may still be ok as long as such corrosion is not savier (you stated that it still works).. and has not introduced any short... You can tell if the system is working or not... use some dust blower to remove all the dust internally and then use contact cleaner (it is a liquid spray that cleans contacts and dries withing few minutes).. This way you can remove the dust and the collected residue away from contacts and components and hope that nothing is damaged beyond repair... I guess final test will reveal if this will work.

Give it a try.. and let us know.

Thanks.

With no Hard Drive in the HD220, it does not reboot at all... it just beeps every few seconds or so with a solid red ERROR light. I am assuming this is the way it is supposed to act when no HD is present. It only reboots when there is a HD connected.

One thing I do not like about the HD500 so far though... it only detected around 130GB or so of this 320GB Seagate HD. I did manage to do a firmware update to v2.54.

At they very worst, I still have my EB13404NET Avermedia + WJ-MP204C Data Mux. I still would like a 316 or similar in the future, just not enough funds right now.