ddmundell

IP Encoders Decoders (Problems w/ Pelco)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good solid IP dec/enc combo. I was told to stay away from ACTi and to go with the much more expensive Pelco due to the ACTi freezing and needing to be power cycled often. Well guess what same thing with the Pelco’s. I have had 2 pairs of the Pelco Net 300's installed for around 9 months with nothing but problems. Well one problem. They stop transmitting live video and on the DVR it displays the PelcoNet logo and they just need to be power cycled (unplugged and replugged in). This happens sometimes once a month but like tonight.... I got the call that both were down, I drive 20 miles to reboot, verifiy they are up, 20 miles back home, check 2 hours later one is still up and one is down. Only the transmitters need rebooted. I have had them replaced once and no change. Pelco is no help they just want to keep replacing them. That is not a fix. How about a firmware upgrade or something that addresses the issue. Vendor that recomended them has no idea about issue. They have little to no knowlage about IP networks.

Here is the catch,

I used IP because I wanted to go over wireless, have real time video, and eliminate the need for a separate radio/ant for each video channel like with analogue radios like Videocomm (have used these to and not impressed have 2 pair going back to Canada tomorrow to be repaired under warranty).

This is not cheap wireless either. I am an IT consultant that has just started doing CCTV for a little over a year now. I know IP networking. I have been doing point to point and point to multi point wireless broadband networks for some time. They are on their own data network over a 3 mile point to point broad band wireless link. I have 108mbps through put speed. That is slightly faster than your common 100mbps wire LAN connection. The wireless is solid. The link log shows that there are no dropped packets, and no disconnected periods. All the equipment on each side is in a climate controlled environment.

I've been told that wireless is not fast enough for their encoders and decoders. I explained to them that if you configure the enc/dec to their pre set "Max Resolution/Frame Rate" setting, it automaticly sets the allocated bandwidth for the single device to 4mbps and I have 108 available and that I would not be worried unless I had 15+ pairs running over the same wireless backbone. Again showing they have no clue at Pelco they usually don’t have a response.

Any ideas. Again it is not the wireless. I have a couple different customers, one on an 11 mile link and the other on a 18 mile link runing some very network intensive databases and they have had no problems to date.

Any Suggestions?????

Bosch makes a single channel encoder or decoder (VideoJet 10). I have not used any Bosch IP products but I hear they are good and you get good support.

http://www2.boschsecurity.us/pdf/EN/VideoJET10_DS_82311.pdf

I use Axis products and they work every time. I have a point to point setup with the AXIS 247S that's been up and running for 4 months with out any problems. Only difference is I am not using there decoder I am recording with AXIS software.

Axis does make a video decoder which prefect for your situation. Here is a link to the products:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_292/index.htm

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_247s/index.htm

Just to clarify. You are talking about the PelcoNet Net300? First, what Pelco is telling you about not working with wireless is nonsense. These products were orignally manufactured by a German company called VCS. VCS was bought by Bosch and Bosch has released new generations of these products. the Net300 is an old product. Our company was VCS's US distributor and became Bosch distributors after the aquisition so we have a lot of experiece with these products. We do not experience drop out problems from the wireless applications we are involved with.

With your PelcoNet encoder units do you have the Live Video Auto-Connect set to Yes? You should and you should have this set to no on the decoder. This will allow reconnect if the connection is lost. There are also remote Ethernet reboot devices you may want to use to avoid going onsite for this.

You should also consider the Bosch VIP X1 which is faster (use with VIP XD). Bosch also has environmentally hardened units now in the VideoJet X series.

Alternatively, a much lower cost solution is to use the Vivotek VS7100 with the RX7101.

Try looking at the zylotech website and look for smart cam. This encoder converts analogue to Ip in dual codex dual stream and more...very impressive

Try looking at the zylotech website and look for smart cam. This encoder converts analogue to Ip in dual codex dual stream and more...very impressive

Here is an update I was just out to the site yesterday and set the Live Video Auto-Connect to no because I did have them set to yes, and both cameras are down again this morning.

FYI: Demundell

With over 20, Net350 running, I have the same problem with the ones on the outer band locking up. I install a timer in line to power off the net350 transmitter at 05:30 and restart at 05:31 everyday.

Beats going out for service calls every week.

I have used a lot of the Bosch X1 range with good success.

I have several on long range links that fluctuate greatly due to tidal issues and they haven't given me any issues.

Edit: On a Motorola PTP600 5.4 GHz that drops down to about 10mbps

Edited by Guest

We had the same problem with Pelconet encoders/decoders connected through a Motorola Canopy system. We tried to work with the integrator and Pelco tech support without success - the encoders and decoders kept losing contact with each other and had to be rebooted regularly. We finally assumed the Canopy system was the problem, moved the DVR to the remote site and shut off the Canopy system.

We use ACTi encoders at another site and have had relatively few problems.

Hi,

We have seen this problem with several vendors encoders for the last 2 years over wireless.

We have had a fair degree of success with work arounds, so pls respond it the following doesn't help.....

Multicast addressing for video/audio.

One common trick is to set your video streams as unicast, as most IEEE compliant wireless devices (I am assuming that your 108mbps is turbo mode 802.11a/g....) adopt the "hidden node" mode and bandwidth throttle upon detection of multicast to 11 mbps best case, regardless of what the software tells you.

The other issue is that multicast uses IGMP queriers to request video, not a good idea in point-point wireless.

Encoder hangups

However, the issue in our experience is always the encoder/decoder vendors operation on the network, most have hanging issues in a wireless Lan install. To tell if it has a problem, set the encoders SNMP trap output to report to a PC over the WLAN, and turn off the video stream for 24 hours (if you can!).

If the SNMP traps stop at any time over the 24 hr period, you know it is not video stream/bandwidth related, but simple encoder hangs. Hammer your encoder vendor or swap brands.

Out of interest, whilst I do not believe your issue is in this case is wireless related, video over wireless is 90% of the time not a bandwidth issue. It is usually the always-varying SNR of the wireless carrier and the lack of buffers in the Wireless design. A good rule of thumb is never use IEEE compliant radios, (even Cisco!!! ) but a dedicated ReadytoSend/Clear toSend wireless protocol.

Pls respond if this isn't the right track...............

In my experience, Pelco wireless solutions fall over for 2 reasons.

1 - Bandwidth is too high

2 - in my region the systems lock up possibly due to the ambient temperature.

I have replaced 2 Pelco wireless point to point systems with IndigoVision, where the wireless product was retained (SmartSight) and this fixed most aspects of the system.

I have also provided several larger scale wireless systems in councils, again with IndigoVision but instead using WaveSight links.

The reason bandwidth is so important is MPEG4 and H.264 video streams have no periods of no data and the video can not be further compressed.

A link with a stated bandwidth of 54Mbps has a half duplex rate of 27Mbps.

When you transmit 'normal' computer data, there is typically the ability for the Tx to apply compression to the data just like ZIP would, reducing the file size. This take processing time. Also in computer data you would normally send in data bursts. not constant streams. These bursts give the Tx time to compress and do other tricks to the data before transmitting it.

So when you send video, the TRUE through put of a RF link is often as low as 3Mbps.

OK next the video we send may be only 2.5Mbps but that does not take into account the TCP or UDP overheads. so add 15% to this for TCP. So we are up to 2.8Mbps and there are often some other data process in the background as well.

If we use a link designed for CCTV such as the WaveSight, we can get much higher throughputs. I can vouch for 21Mbps.

You can still come unstuck if you try to use a multi point Rx instead of a Tx Rx per link. What happens there is every link is repeated out to all other links. So the 2.8Mbps above in a 3 link multi point system suddenly becomes duplicated on the other links (in the up link direction).

My recommendation - use point to point for every camera and use IndigoVision extended temperature models. This will use 50% less bandwidth than many other products for the same measurable resolution.

Hi all to everybody in this forum, i´m going to explaim a little problem that i have.

I have already install 6 pairs or pelcoNet 300, six Rx and 6 Tx, i´m recording on an DVR lenel 408, 1.5 Tb. i can see the video of the Tx using a Internet explorer (Browser) and i have full control, off course making a tipycal configuaration, the problem comes when after a whyle, i check the video and these video is freezing, some times as i ready read before, i need to reset them and after that work normaly.

Other that i have is with the uploading, i cant do it, i dont know why, i had been cheking againg the configuration and it doesnt works, the file that im using is .BIN´, i download the file in a pelco´s web, so wen in search the file in browser and i click on update. nothing happens.

I really hope that one of you can help me.

Thank, my name in Javier, and i come from Venezuela. sorry if i have a mistake, my english isnt perfect.

See you

Bosch VIP X1 encoder to VIP XD decoder.

SImple, solid.

Agreee 100%, we have tried most on the market at we have settled for the VIPX1 > VIPXD for our public space work over wireless.

However, we have question mark over the new Bosch range, so the jury is out on that range.

I have also heard that VIPX is end of life in the next few months so I will be at IFSEC to see if this is true.

Regards

Ilkie