3RDIGLBL

Cold Temp Experience Needed (I'm talking Canada cold!)

I've always installed outdoor heater/blower enclosures around here and all have worked very well for me even down to the sometimes cold winter temps of -40F.

I need to find an inexpensive bullet cam that can do this. I know Extreme CCTV can but man that option is WAYYYY to darn expensive for what I am trying to do.

Has anyone tried a regular IR Bullet cam in really cold temperatures successfully? I've seen them installed around here from time to time but I have not stopped in to these venues to ask if they have problems during the coldest of temps. I even saw a gas station with a lipstick cam installed!! I have photos of my thermometer at -36F last year which I think may have been the coldest day but the year before I saw -40F.

Thanks for any of your experiences. Cold weather adds challenges that those in the warmer climates do not have to contend with.

I've always installed outdoor heater/blower enclosures around here and all have worked very well for me even down to the sometimes cold winter temps of -40F.

I need to find an inexpensive bullet cam that can do this. I know Extreme CCTV can but man that option is WAYYYY to darn expensive for what I am trying to do.

Has anyone tried a regular IR Bullet cam in really cold temperatures successfully? I've seen them installed around here from time to time but I have not stopped in to these venues to ask if they have problems during the coldest of temps. I even saw a gas station with a lipstick cam installed!! I have photos of my thermometer at -36F last year which I think may have been the coldest day but the year before I saw -40F.

Thanks for any of your experiences. Cold weather adds challenges that those in the warmer climates do not have to contend with.

Where are u in Canada if I can ask u ?

Province.... City ?

Does that question mean you may have a camera of choice but are afraid to tell me because of competition? jk

I live in Canada but the business is based and operates in the U.S.

I sent you a pm...

Dependent on the quality-grade of the case (regarding aluminum and some high strength poly products) Ive found over the years some of the decent OEM and branded bullet cameras will fare pretty well in sub-zero temps due to the heat retention within the case from the chips (DSP/CCD) The average temp from what I recall is approx 100-120 F. Most failures are due to poorly constructed /machine threads /water/moisture seals. I have several old EX-10s (extreme) along with several older Nuvico bullets in service withstanding some sub-zero Montana winters without a problem. Most of the extreme products I use are rated for such service (insulated inner chambers and waterproof IP67) however some of the cheaper OEM bullets (various brands) Ive benched past years that are of korean origin with decent grade aluminum and clean/tight threads hold up well under adverse temp extremes hot and cold. I have noticed over the years the newer OEMs mostly china are substandard and fail. Aside from what often is specified in the spec and most spec today from many are misleading or false - exception to manufacturers that follow strict quality control and design - If you can find them (some dealers might still have some on the shelf) try the Nuvico NVCC-HWE922IR42N and NVCC-HW3895IR36N. both products Ive used have withstood some very cold service on past installs. They have since been discontinued and replaced with differnt models I havent used them so cant give a opinion. Regards

I have used the Nuvico Bullit in a walkin freezer and also our 36IR bullit, neat the way the frost forms when the door opens and the IR kicks on and defrost the cover. Hope this helps.

I have found that most heated enclosures, IR, bullet and PTZ cameras work well in cold weather, the only problem that I have found is the loss of power and powering up a -40c (-40f) camera, it seems that you run a small chance of causing damage to the camera, I would think the same thing about heated types, unless the heater would be on long before the camera is turned on. extreme cold causes molecular shrinkage in wires and other electronic components, somtimes taking them way out of spec.

So the main rule for extreme cold weather on cameras is get it running before is gets cold and it will stay running.

I would also recommend using IP 65 or better based cameras in places that have extreme temperature changes (ie walk in freezer) do to moisture problems.

Back on this topic. Was below zero here last night and that reminded me of this thread

I need a budget bullet camera that will work in the extreme cold listed here. I just tried a Messoa camera out with a 540TVL and I was not impressed at all. The saturation was so over driven and and image quality was not great at all. Nice little cam and the IR worked well but that was it.

I'm back to trying to find an extreme type camera on a budget. What I'm thinking my only choice is that is rated for this type of extreme stuff is the WZ line like the WZ14-N4-0 which appears to be inexpensive. My only concern is the 380TVL which is lower than what I like to be at.

I've used the WZ18 with great success and I thought the picture quality was great so I was thinking the WZ14 but looking at the specs it is not in the same caliber at all.

I'm so nervous when it comes to choosing a bullet cam for outside around here. I always use heated enclosures so using bullet cams is a whole new thing and no spec I find says it operates into the negatives digits and especially on a budget other than the WZ14. I realize people have had good luck with them until a power loss when it drops to -40. Are there any budget bullets in the $100 range that people have tried? Looks like this WZ14 is in the price range so right now that is my only choice.

I think you might be suprised with the WZ14... I've seen some nice snapshots using it.

Your not going to find many inexpensive cameras that can withstand those temps without a heater. Maybe a better option is to put a battery backup in. Ditek makes the DTK-DRP16 Series which combines surge protection for your entire head end, battery backup, and one of the option also doubles as a passive UTP receiver.

Also the FB-2012 from BATKO is a pretty nice housing looking housing that does not require a heater blower. I can't tell you how much it is or give you any feedback from customers because we don't sell it but the rep swung through and pitched it and I was impressed.

Edited by Guest

I was in Winnipeg, last winter one of my friend installed a CCTV system in his restaurant, cost was 5,000 something.

On night the restaurant got broken in when it was -40. The system didn't work so he didn't have anything to track......just his bad luck on cold weather

So as we all know it is cold everywhere, well except CA!

I think I gotta replace my thermometer at home because I snapped pictures of it this morning before the sun rose and it showed -48F!!! The thing has got to be broken so I'll be replacing that this week! I do know that you can't breath when outside, it is so cold darn cold that you choke on your own breath....CRAZY!

Anyhow, to the point, I climbed a ladder yesterday afternoon to put one of the small bullet cameras I'm trying out to the test. I figured well if I'm going to test one in the cold this is the time. I am happy to report that it ran all night and this morning it is still running. This small camera is a Messoa SCR351Pro....I can vouch that this one will run even though it is only rated at -10c like most of them are. I have a couple others to test out as well but I will not be able to get to it for a few days.

update........I guess my thermometer is not broken, others near me report the same temp this morning...................CRAP IT'S COLD. Record here since the 1940's