trudgy

MAC O/S and DVR's remote view

HI there,

I am very new to the CCTV and DVR industry but it's something the company I work for are going to start doing.

Our first job is the office building we are in and the owners home. We have setup on a 16 channel CAPTURE DVR for office and a 4 channel for home.

problem is the building owner uses only MAC for home and office, and the point of this system was for him to remote log in and view video etc. On these CAPTURE units you can ONLY view on Internet Explorer. I asked our local dealer of CCTV product and he said there are no DVR's on the market that can be viewed with a MAC

Is this true? i find that incredibly hard to believe, any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

This is Remote Software for a Dahua Stand Alone DVR:

Dahua is sold under other brands in the US such as Intellicam and XTSvideo.

The Mac version of this Remote software is a new release and is available for download right on the Dahua website.

file.php?id=1580

file.php?id=1579

Anyone found anything else that doesn't require ActiveX?

Exacq Vision does not use ActiveX. You can monitor remotely on PCs, Macs, Linux, iPhones, iPads, and other smart phones with browsers.

Best,

Christopher

Anyone found anything else that doesn't require ActiveX?

Exacq Vision does not use ActiveX. You can monitor remotely on PCs, Macs, Linux, iPhones, iPads, and other smart phones with browsers.

Best,

Christopher

I can't seem to find a live demo on their site, do you have a link?

Exacq is not a DVR though, its NVR software.

Exacq is not a DVR though, its NVR software.

Software means no live demo? - ok, screenshots or a demo video or something at least?

[Exacq has Hybrid DVRs,, NVRs and VMS software. This customer would be looking at the ELS boxes.

going by the price I found online, thats more than 4 times the cost of a DVR?

Also no 4 channel available. It looks nice but I dont think it should be considered the same as a DVR, its a little more than that

Also no 4 channel available. It looks nice but I dont think it should be considered the same as a DVR, its a little more than that

I built my own 4 channel DVR using a PC, video encoder, and Exacq Vision software. But you are right, Exacq is not the cheapest solution. That said, it is feature rich, and most everything it does, it does really well. Really depends on your requirements.

Best,

Christopher

PS: When I show my cameras on an iPhone or iPad using Exacq Mobile, the response is always the same. Wow!

I built my own 4 channel DVR using a PC, video encoder, and Exacq Vision software. But you are right, Exacq is not the cheapest solution. That said, it is feature rich, and most everything it does, it does really well. Really depends on your requirements.

Best,

Christopher

PS: When I show my cameras on an iPhone or iPad using Exacq Mobile, the response is always the same. Wow!

Sounds good

ps. when i show people 64 cameras in a 64 way view made up of several geo and dahua dvrs and various axis ip cams from around the world, on my little asus 701 eee pc they almost faint

[Exacq has Hybrid DVRs,, NVRs and VMS software. This customer would be looking at the ELS boxes.

Well the ELS box comes either 8 or 16 channels h.264 D1 all channel with up to 24 IP cameras, so yea it's not a q-see DVR this is a enterprise class solution. Yes you can also build your own with encoders for cheaper if you would like, I have build many of them. Also they are coming out with a new line of smaller hybrids and NVRs very soon.

Best,

Christopher

Sounds good

ps. when i show people 64 cameras in a 64 way view made up of several geo and dahua dvrs and various axis ip cams from around the world, on my little asus 701 eee pc they almost faint

I don't get execited by D1 anymore And I have run Exacq on Atom PCs with Megapixel cameras.

I don't get execited by D1 anymore And I have run Exacq on Atom PCs with Megapixel cameras.

Um .. i did mention Axis IP cameras so yes its a mixture of regular IP and MP IP

nice thing is, i can also watch DVRs from multiple manufacturers ... hmmmm

AND I am playing with the Mobotix SDK and have already implemented the Acti SDK though it is not quite that stable yet.

plus this is a 630mhz celeron not an atom, and a 7" netbook

id be interested to see exacq with 64 MP cameras on the celeron though

BTW my software is not limited to resolution, that will depend on the user's settings.

also I develop it, get this, on the EEE PC ... for maximum performance of the GUI.

The nice thing is, the software is or will be ... free.

so yea it's not a q-see DVR this is a enterprise class solution.

Sir with all due respect, in professional CCTV we dont use q-see DVRs.

Additionally I think I already praised the Exacq as more than a DVR.

I am not sure what else I am supposed to say, seeing as I have never used their product?

I am not sure what else I am supposed to say, seeing as I have never used their product?

Well not everyone and roy you have used their software

Well not everyone

Well as a CCTV forum we have to entertain all security systems, though the consumer based are units we generally stay clear of. However sometimes they are simply re-badged units that we use anyway, generally the rock bottom units, plus its always good to have a review of any system as long as its main purpose is for Video Surveillance - a new member actually recently posted a review of a Q-see DVR and it was welcomed. If anything it can show what those type of systems are capable of or what they are not capable of, for future buyers that may be perusing this forum.

and roy you have used their software

No sorry I never got it installed. There were installation issues.

I have used Mobotix though, just never got the Exacq server to install.

and roy you have used their software

No sorry I never got it installed. There were installation issues.

I have used Mobotix though, just never got the Exacq server to install.

Was it on a clean install? I have never had any problems installing Exacq on a clean Windows or Linux PC. I am currently testing Milestone Enterprise on my server and wow, it's way more complicated then Exacq but the integration with the Mobotix Q24 is very nice. I have a Q24 mounted on the front of my house and it can see everything!!!! I am gonna have to get on the developers again to get Mobotix integrated.

Well not everyone

By the way, speaking of rock bottom units, I realize you are not happy with D1 but most are, here are a couple samples from a DVR I have been testing for the past couple weeks. It is from Dahua in China and resold by a couple companies in the US, yes I know China, but it is good for the price, really good for the price. I have tested or used many sub $500 DVRs and this one just takes the cake and runs with it. If I told you the price of the 16 channel you might be pleasantly surprised. Even with a couple flaws that I dont like, the cost and the features that do work just make it definitely something that cannot be ignored. I am picky and as always I will find a flaw in EVERYTHING, ask anyone. Now I could digitally enhance the images even more by sharpening, but I wont, these are raw images captured over the network, not even the recorded video which could be higher quality due to lack of VBR in these networked examples. Enough talk, here are the image samples:

Now when looking at these images, captured in some form of H.264, recall these are not the regular consumer products nor are they Megapixel, in fact this is the manufacturers most basic unit, also these are old cameras and not the BEST focus to begin with due to mix and match lenses and auto irises.

no, I cant pick out an insect crawling on the ground, but I can identify the burglar.

598himclr.jpg

mee.jpg

no IR >> With EX26 IR

tdnnoir.jpgtdnwex26.jpg

Browser app in Google Chrome with IE Tabs:

dahuachrome.jpg

dheg.jpg

vteg.jpg

Remote Software for Windows

kjhj.jpg

Remote Software for Mac

pssmaceg.jpg

pssmaceg2.jpg

Well not everyone

By the way, speaking of rock bottom units, I realize you are not happy with D1 but most are, here are a couple samples from a DVR I have been testing for the past couple weeks. It is from Dahua in China and resold by a couple companies in the US, yes I know China, but it is good for the price, really good for the price. I have tested or used many sub $500 DVRs and this one just takes the cake and runs with it. If I told you the price of the 16 channel you might be pleasantly surprised. Even with a couple flaws that I dont like, the cost and the features that do work just make it definitely something that cannot be ignored. I am picky and as always I will find a flaw in EVERYTHING, ask anyone. Now I could digitally enhance the images even more by sharpening, but I wont, these are raw images captured over the network, not even the recorded video which could be higher quality due to lack of VBR in these networked examples. Enough talk, here are the image samples:

Now when looking at these images, captured in some form of H.264, recall these are not the regular consumer products nor are they Megapixel, in fact this is the manufacturers most basic unit, also these are old cameras and not the BEST focus to begin with due to mix and match lenses and auto irises. But for example I get the 4 channel for $130, in the US.

Sorry but I think those images are good for 5 years ago. Rory I am working with a township right now to rip out all of the D1 stuff and replace it with megapixel. The police can not identify anyone in the video so the system is useless to them. Also I am working with anther customer that has over 150 analog cameras and it's the same story they want to upgrade to HD/megapixel because they can not identify people in with the system. So I am sorry unless you only need to cover a small area D1 just does not do anything for me.

Sorry but I think those images are good for 5 years ago. Rory I am working with a township right now to rip out all of the D1 stuff and replace it with megapixel. The police can not identify anyone in the video so the system is useless to them. Also I am working with anther customer that has over 150 analog cameras and it's the same story they want to upgrade to HD/megapixel because they can not identify people in with the system. So I am sorry unless you only need to cover a small area D1 just does not do anything for me.

Well I am sorry that is the way you feel. After all this is a CCTV forum, not entirely a megapixel video forum.

But the fact is these images are being used TODAY to capture real world criminals, almost EVERYDAY.

Additionally I would have to say the police in your case do not know what they are doing, or the system was not installed properly.

Also since you mention it, the areas I am covering, and most CCTV installers are covering, are hardly "huge" areas. So going by what you said, this is perfect and saves the customer a ton of money

As for the latter, if you can get the sale, then more power to you.

Well I am sorry that is the way you feel. After all this is a CCTV forum, not entirely a megapixel video forum.

But the fact is these images are being used TODAY to capture real world criminals, almost EVERYDAY.

Additionally I would have to say the police in your case do not know what they are doing, or the system was not installed properly.

As for the latter, if you can get the sale, then more power to you.

No the problem is they need detail and to be able to identify some one (and prove it in court) on the other side of the walkway you need more PPF and there is only one way to do that with D1 and that is to add more cameras and it is much easier to do that with HD/Megapixel and cheaper.

598himclr.jpg

No the problem is they need detail and to be able to identify some one (and prove it in court) on the other side of the walkway you need more PPF and there is only one way to do that with D1 and that is to add more cameras.

As a fact, with quality at much MUCH lower than that, I have identified suspects and it has been used in court. AND As mentioned, this is over the network viewer and it is encoded so it is NOT the raw video. I dont know why you dont trust me, these are MY cameras, I capture criminals all the time on them, I need to see who is coming and going, or who is trying to break in my vehicles, and although I cant see the pimple on their face, this is great for identifying them when I need to - and that happens ALOT here. And BTW the criminals walk on that path or in the area closer to the camera almost everytime they come here.

I've identified criminals with an Avtech DVR which is a 1/10th the quality of this. Also look at the price of this, come on, this IS used in court, this DOES identify the criminal, and it DOES see under pitch dark or low light, for next to nothing. There is noway you can justifiably deny those facts. Another thing you have to remember is that not everyone has to take video to some high deff court, some just want to see.

Also this technology has been proven and has been used in courts for years, and not just by me. I mean I understand your need to make a sale but for the love of god please enter the realm of reality here, I am not making this stuff up, and I have nothing to sell on this forum. I deal with criminals trying to take my stuff almost every day of the week. I dont live in paradise regardless of the commercials about this place one may see. If someone cannot identify a suspect from these images then they just need to turn their computer off and go jogging or something.