trudgy

MAC O/S and DVR's remote view

No sorry I never got it installed. There were installation issues. ... just never got the Exacq server to install.

Do you recall the installation issues? I've installed Exacq servers and clients on WinXP, Vista x64, and Windows 7 x64 and never had an installation problem. The Exacq server is licensed to an Ethernet MAC address, so I purchased an inexpensive USB Ethernet device and purchase camera licenses for that MAC address so I can move the server each time I want build a new system, and I've yet to have any problems. In addition, I run the client on multiple systems, and the iPhone/iPad mobile app has been solid too. I am expecting delivery of an HP Z200 today and plan to install Ubuntu and will test that platform as well.

There are many good DVR/NVR/VMS solutions from which to choose, and no one solution is best for everything. However, I'm surprised that you would encounter install issues with Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

Hello All:

New to this Forum - I was searching for the functionality of my recently purchased DVR with my MAC and iphone, and in the process, came across this thread. About a week ago, after speaking to a sales rep that was supposedly an expert on CCTV surveillance cameras, I purchased an Avalonix 16 channel DVR. The DVR is for various cameras throughout my home, and I made it clear to the sales rep that I wanted to be able to view the cameras from my MAC and my and my wife's iphone. After receiving and installing the DVR, I still cannot make it work on my MAC or iphone (I have a laptop running Windows XP, and I was able to make it work there, both through IE and through the Windows software that came with the DVR - software is not great, but decent - called Central Management Software (CMS), aka Control Center Ver. 1.0). The instructions for the DVR and Software are terrible and do not mention anything as to running either on a MAC or iphone, but again, I told the rep of the platform I needed and when I looked up the DVR again online, it does say it will run with an iphone and apple browsers. Furthermore, I was told this was a very good DVR ("one of their top of the line"), and I paid $1,100.00 for it (which did not include the HDD). Does anyone know if this DVR does work with MACs and iphones? Does anyone know anything about this DVR - is it a quality DVR? or did I just get ripped off? - if so, I plan to immediately return it. Again, for reference it is an "Avalonix" 16 Channel DVR - Model 2416 - here is the link from the Retailer that I purchased it from:

http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com/enterprise-class-iphone-compatible-realtime-channel-pentaplex-audio-inputs-480fps-recording-sata-dvdrw-p-2126.html

Thank you.

Shags

I was able to make it work there, both through IE and through the Windows software that came with the DVR

Did you have to install an ActiveX plug-in to use IE?

Best,

Christopher

Yes, I did have to install an ActiveX plug-in to use IE. When I go to the IP through Safari (actually Firefox) on my Mac, it prompts me to install the Symbian Software SCam_2nd.SIS ver1.1.2.624, but of course that does not work.

Thanks,

Shags

Yes, I did have to install an ActiveX plug-in to use IE.

I guessed that might be the case. One of the features I prefer in a DVR/NVR is ability to use a web browser without any plug-ins, which increases the odds you can use any web browser, including a web browser in a hotel lobby or a smart phone.

Best,

Christopher

Agreed, but that is supposedly the purpose of the included Software - unfortunately, as noted earlier, it only runs on Windows platform.

DeMark Security has several DVR's that have native OS X clients. You don't view them via the browser as that still requires ActiveX controls but you can install the application and view them there. Sadly the CMS application is Windows only.

Hello All:

New to this Forum - I was searching for the functionality of my recently purchased DVR with my MAC and iphone, and in the process, came across this thread. About a week ago, after speaking to a sales rep that was supposedly an expert on CCTV surveillance cameras, I purchased an Avalonix 16 channel DVR. The DVR is for various cameras throughout my home, and I made it clear to the sales rep that I wanted to be able to view the cameras from my MAC and my and my wife's iphone. After receiving and installing the DVR, I still cannot make it work on my MAC or iphone (I have a laptop running Windows XP, and I was able to make it work there, both through IE and through the Windows software that came with the DVR - software is not great, but decent - called Central Management Software (CMS), aka Control Center Ver. 1.0). The instructions for the DVR and Software are terrible and do not mention anything as to running either on a MAC or iphone, but again, I told the rep of the platform I needed and when I looked up the DVR again online, it does say it will run with an iphone and apple browsers. Furthermore, I was told this was a very good DVR ("one of their top of the line"), and I paid $1,100.00 for it (which did not include the HDD). Does anyone know if this DVR does work with MACs and iphones? Does anyone know anything about this DVR - is it a quality DVR? or did I just get ripped off? - if so, I plan to immediately return it. Again, for reference it is an "Avalonix" 16 Channel DVR - Model 2416 - here is the link from the Retailer that I purchased it from:

http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com/enterprise-class-iphone-compatible-realtime-channel-pentaplex-audio-inputs-480fps-recording-sata-dvdrw-p-2126.html

Thank you.

Shags

OMG! Just looked at the link. GET RID OF THAT THING RIGHT NOW! I spent 3 days trying to get one of those pieces of crap to work for a customer. They bought it from someone else a year or 2 ago. They only hired me to add a few cameras to it. Like an idiot, I agreed that with installation charge of the cameras, I would get their existing DVR online. After 3 days of trying to get that cheap Chinese piece of crap to work, I gave up. They understood it wasn't my fault... I've installed hundreds of DVRs from countless manufacturers... Never had problems like with that horrible thing. My advice is to return that POS and get your money back... even if you get charged a restocking fee. If they won't take back, pour gasoline on it and set it on fire.

Yes, I did have to install an ActiveX plug-in to use IE.

I guessed that might be the case. One of the features I prefer in a DVR/NVR is ability to use a web browser without any plug-ins, which increases the odds you can use any web browser, including a web browser in a hotel lobby or a smart phone.

Best,

Christopher

only way then is to just have a jpeg on the sever that gets updated, and use a meta refresh to see the changes. otherwise server push etc still needs javascript. Im at the other side of it, if it doesnt have a client app, I dont want to go near it. Running something inside something else, a browser, is just too limiting for my needs.

OMG! Just looked at the link. GET RID OF THAT THING RIGHT NOW! I spent 3 days trying to get one of those pieces of crap to work for a customer. They bought it from someone else a year or 2 ago. They only hired me to add a few cameras to it. Like an idiot, I agreed that with installation charge of the cameras, I would get their existing DVR online. After 3 days of trying to get that cheap Chinese piece of crap to work, I gave up. They understood it wasn't my fault... I've installed hundreds of DVRs from countless manufacturers... Never had problems like with that horrible thing. My advice is to return that POS and get your money back... even if you get charged a restocking fee. If they won't take back, pour gasoline on it and set it on fire.

OK; I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Can you or anyone else then recommend a good DVR with the following capabilities:

1. 8-16 video channels;

2. 8-16 audio inputs for each video channel;

3. can be connected to my network (wired or wirelessly)

4. remote connectivity

5. able to view on my iphone

6. transmits very good video quality

7. if possible, able to view on my Mac (after seeing this thread and several others, it seems that this will not be possible though).

My budget is $1,000-$1,500 including at least 1TB HDD.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.

Shags7

Can you or anyone else then recommend a good DVR with the following capabilities:

1. 8-16 video channels;

2. 8-16 audio inputs for each video channel;

3. can be connected to my network (wired or wirelessly)

4. remote connectivity

5. able to view on my iphone

6. transmits very good video quality

7. if possible, able to view on my Mac (after seeing this thread and several others, it seems that this will not be possible though).

My budget is $1,000-$1,500 including at least 1TB HDD.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.

Shags7

Many PC DVRs support that.

Meanwhile here is a Stand Alone DVR:

(already went through this on this same thread)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/gallery/?DVR-Dahua

sold in the US under various names:

XTSVideo (where I get mine, distributor sales)

Intellicam USA

Mace Security (only certain model/s)

Q-See (only certain model/s)

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download.aspx?p=fwyxz&p_kind=4&c_kind=17&c_kind2=139

they also have iphone apps dependent on the model, the OEMs above also have their own customized apps.

Intellicam USA

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download.aspx?p=fwyxz&p_kind=4&c_kind=17&c_kind2=139

they also have iphone apps dependent on the model, the OEMs above also have their own customized apps.

Can you please send me a link to where I can view the specs and purchase that DVR in the US.

Thanks

Intellicam USA

Can you please send me a link to where I can view the specs and purchase that DVR in the US.

Thanks

shags7 did you get your DVR ? I'm also on the same boat.

Yes, I purchased the same one that Intellicam and Mace sell. It works perfectly on my Mac, and works well with my ipad and iphone as well.

Yes, I purchased the same one that Intellicam and Mace sell. It works perfectly on my Mac, and works well with my ipad and iphone as well.

Any chance can you send me a link or model number please ?

Any chance can you send me a link or model number please ?

I purchased the Ultimate model, but it is my understanding that both Elite models work just the same with any Mac, iPhone or iPad. Here is the link:

[edit by mod - sorry no store links allowed - please PM link]