rory

Tip for power splice for bullets & domes

Well, for me it's called splice and soder, and a nice piece of black tape, and it's all done

yeah, but this is quicker and simpler than soldering, no extra tools or experience required.

I use the 3m splice connector. Slip in the wires and squeeze them closed with the pliers (stripping of the insulation from the wire maybe necessary but not hard). 3m also provides a self-sealing jel inside the connector that protects the connection once it is snapped closed. No solder, tape, hassle. Goto http://www.allelectronics.com,%20search%20for%20the%20splice%20connector.....they%20sell%202%20different%20types.%20I've%20had%20np's%20with%20their%20products.

yes we use them in the alarm industry with Telco wire, we call them "beanies' down here ..

but i dont use them for CCTV. They dont fit power cable though.

Rory

yeah. we use a similar tool for splicing 25 pair into 300 pair in the field. but like rory said it's a 24 AWG wire. you'd have t be using some very tiny power cable.

This will make a plug connection for the camera end of power, but then you still have to hardwire your power supply to the siamese cable... there will be no plug on this end..

http://www2.cop-usa.com/ebproductdetail.asp?id=529

You can make this yourself if you cant buy it. Using the power supply's cord, cut it, buy a terminal strip, such as a 8 way. cut out one individual part, and you have now got something to join your 2 wires together without taping..

Rory

Like this: Instead of Cat5 you just use the Red & Black frome the Siamese and the RG59 BNC Connector.

.. temp images deleted by timeout ..

Edited by Guest

I got those same european terminal strips as you, I had to fold the 22 AWG wire (from the power adapter) like 3 times to get it thick enough that those little screws in the terminal connector held onto the wire tightly..

I am using Cat5 with the terminal strips also, which is 24awg (1/4 the size of the siamese power cable) and I never have to fold it. They screw right down, just have to get the wire centered, though with the terminal strips i use, 18AWG power cable fits it tight anyway as the terminal strips are so small. Maybe you bought the larger ones?

Rory

sorry just noticed you said power adapter, their wire is normally stranded 18/20AWG also though which is thick. What adaptor are you using?

If you mean the plug in power supplies, I rarely use them unless it is temporary, or just at my house, and I tape/beanie them Otherwise I always use a multiple output power supply.

also, 18AWG cable is better with terminal strips than cat5 though my cat5 single pairs are in a box so no tension on them, the join in the image is only at 1 12V camera and is doubled up. Obviously soldering and hink shrink tubing is a better choice, but a quick easy method, this is it, besides beanies on 22/24AWG or tape, which can also come loose with a good tug in the ceiling..

Don't know if any of you guys ever do this, but if you have 'thin' wires that need to be held in a terminal block, one trick is to wind or bend the wire back over the insulation (about 1/8th to 1/4" or 3 - 6 mm) and then screw down on the insulation side, so that it compresses the wire onto the terminal block.

In most cases, you can secure the conductor with less screw pressure, and as the screw is pressing down on the insulation (rather than the wire), it is less likely to rip off stranded conductors.

Don't know if any of you guys ever do this, but if you have 'thin' wires that need to be held in a terminal block, one trick is to wind or bend the wire back over the insulation (about 1/8th to 1/4" or 3 - 6 mm) and then screw down on the insulation side, so that it compresses the wire onto the terminal block.

In most cases, you can secure the conductor with less screw pressure, and as the screw is pressing down on the insulation (rather than the wire), it is less likely to rip off stranded conductors.

Great tip! Thanks.