DaveM

ICRealtime – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

But from what I am reading the unit is discontinued

Still for sale, but not very popular. It is on their website as well as dealer sites. Their new units are better.

out of warranty

Very true, unit is 2 1/2 years old. Although if it was bought today it would come with a 3 year warranty.

the company doesn't offer end user support

According the their website and the sales people I personally talked with they do, but I gather they would much prefer the dealer handle it.

the unit was sent in despite the fact no RMA was issued.

Nope, I had an RMA number and returned the proper forms with the unit.

The biggest problem I see is ICRealtime did halfheartedly try to help; but the first email or phone call should have ended the issue by simply giving the OP the name and contact info of the next closest dealer.

I have a problem with having another dealer who did not make any money off the sale become responsible for the issues. That just doesn't seem right to me. Any dealer that would is going above and beyond and would earn my respect and future business.

Bottom Line Up Front:

With the advent of the internet, it basically allows ANYONE to source a product directly and I seen happen to many times in the past, where a customer gets a PROPOSAL for "XYZ" brand name equipment and the customer try's to cut out the middlemen by trying to buy direct.

IC Realtime values "ALL" dealers that buy from them, whether BIG or SMALL and I applaud IC by sticking to thier guns.

How does that apply to the topic at hand? Simple, you have a "end user" calling IC Realtime out of the blue, demanding service and the first thing IC Realtime does is try to validate "WHO, WHAT & WHERE" of DaveM".

Once they established that the DEALER for "DaveM" is out of business, then they assist him with his requests. Maybe things could have been streamlined in the RMA process "DAVEM" but you did send back the DVR without a RMA and IC Realtime still accepted vs. other national company's would have refused the shipment.

As “DAVEMâ€

Wow, I know this is a public forum, but this is out of hand. Dave had a valid complaint, by the sound of his side of the story, he wasn't handled properly.

Now with ICRealtime involved, Andrews side of the story sounds like they offered a bit of help.

Now Dave has an opportunity for a resolution to his problem. All of these people, some of which are new to this forum, feel that its okay to "bash" on ICRealtime. Do you think there is a single company in the United States that doesn't have some sort of complaint?

This forum is great at times, but at others it really bugs me. I stopped participating here for awhile, along with a few other members, for the sole reason that advice is not taking. There is always somebody here that has the "Golden Answer" and is "Always Right".

And then to threaten somebody by saying "I was" going to buy something from you. That's ridiculous and childish!

I'm an ICRealtime dealer, I love thier products, Andrew always goes out of his way to help me, my customers love the product, and I will continue to sell it.

Come on people, if your mad at your wife, don't take it out on the forum members!

Do you really think this discussion is that bad? There's a bit of back-and-forth going on, but nobody is bashing IC Realtime as "teh suxxor." And where do you get that "mad at your wife" angle?

A consumer saying "I'll buy elsewhere," is not childish... it's just capitalism, and in this case is likely the result of a consumer/end-user not liking the manufacturer's attitude. The perception, real or imagined, that the manufacturer is looking down their nose at the end-user is poison to a business, and virtually guarantees resentment on the part of the guy shelling out his hard-earned money. A manufacturer may prefer to deal with his/her dealer network, and use the latter as a buffer against taking complaints directly from the consumer, but when the latter inevitably happens (and it will at times), it's best to simply take care of business.

Telling a consumer that "we only deal with dealers, not end-users" is rightly perceived as a brush-off... because that's frankly what it is.

I have nothing against IC Realtime... I considered them as one of several options in replacing my current Dedicated Micros unit, but I instead decided on a fully PC-based solution (this discussion had nothing to do with that decision).

As for the "complaint" thing, that's a given. Every business and corporation has deals/situations that go sideways... what makes the difference is how it's addressed, and what it takes to get it addressed. In that same vein, taking care of a customer is "doing them a favor?" Maybe it is... but maybe it's just good business. Also, would you publicly throw that in a customer's face? Can you see how that might raise the hackles of other consumers?

Real world - everyone has various experiences dealing with a company's service, positive/ negative. QC, performance and warranty issues contribute to a manufacturer/dealer/contractor viability over time. In the "old" days word of mouth impacted work/sales on a local level. Today the internet filled with reviews, forums, blogs etc... often force a company to create a business model that is tailored to PR based on the information/opinionated power of the web combined with trained sales reps. If a person feels a company (be it a dealer,vendor or manufacturer) fails to honor their spec be it a warranty or quality concern they should always consider the choice to do business with them or not. When I have issues with a product and if the party involved fails to resolve the issue in a timely manner or doesn't explain with a reasonable response, I choose not to give them any future business. Ive learned what vendors to avoid based on their ability to satisfy defective or warranty issues. Hard economic times has a way of cleaning out the junk in all markets and in time may force companies to revisit their customer service as consumers (be it a end user, corp. or contractor) tighten up their spending.

the unit was sent in despite the fact no RMA was issued.

Nope, I had an RMA number and returned the proper forms with the unit.

The biggest problem I see is ICRealtime did halfheartedly try to help; but the first email or phone call should have ended the issue by simply giving the OP the name and contact info of the next closest dealer.

I have a problem with having another dealer who did not make any money off the sale become responsible for the issues. That just doesn't seem right to me. Any dealer that would is going above and beyond and would earn my respect and future business.

When I read your statement it was pretty evident any RMA# you were issued was only meant to be issued to a dealer.

She put me through to Amanda who gave me an RMA number before she realized I wasn’t a dealer. I got the big OHHH, let me have Andrew call you-he deals with problem returns. She committed to me I would receive a call by the end of the day; I never did receive a call back from Andrew-ever.

Regarding calling another dealer...

It's the dealers that add the service to the product. That's the whole point of a dealer network. There probably isn't a dealer on this board that hasn't taken on just such a scenario.

Anyway, I hope you get your DVR issues resolved...

When I started this thread I had no idea it would go on this far.

I would like to let everyone know that ICRealtime has contacted me, and it looks like my service issues will be resolved.

It is clear from past and current posts that ICRealtime has a good relationship with their dealers, and that many are very loyal. My particular unit had some issues, but in general I really like their product. All of the employees I actually spoke with were courteous and seemed like good people.

I don’t think many would disagree that my situation could have been handled better. I am pretty sure that ICRealtime will do so in the future. In my work, we would call this “lessons learnedâ€

I would like to let everyone know that ICRealtime has contacted me, and it looks like my service issues will be resolved.

It doesn't surprise me, seeing as how this could tarnish their reputation to a very large audience of potential customers. It's just a shame that THIS is what it took to get them to make things right. Because I am sure that if you never posted this thread, and just kept on trying to call them and have them fix your unit, you would've gotten nowhere. Especially since they shipped your unit back to you before they even called to tell you "sorry, we dont replace motherboards". But now that you posted this thread, magically they have some resolution. Why didn't they have some resolution before they shipped it back?

I am glad that you've been taken care of, and I do not doubt that they make a good product. It's just a shame that said product is backed by people who don't want to take care of their own, 100% of the time, no matter what.

Kind regards,

It doesn't surprise me, seeing as how this could tarnish their reputation to a very large audience of potential customers. It's just a shame that THIS is what it took to get them to make things right. Because I am sure that if you never posted this thread, and just kept on trying to call them and have them fix your unit, you would've gotten nowhere. Especially since they shipped your unit back to you before they even called to tell you "sorry, we dont replace motherboards". But now that you posted this thread, magically they have some resolution. Why didn't they have some resolution before they shipped it back?

I am glad that you've been taken care of, and I do not doubt that they make a good product. It's just a shame that said product is backed by people who don't want to take care of their own, 100% of the time, no matter what.

Kind regards,

Your way off base on this. IC Realtime stands behind thier products period.

You failed to see the point, IC REALTIME did it's due diligence first to establish if "DAVEM"'s dealer was still in business first, before deciding to deal with the end user.

I see too many trunk slammers act as "Dealers" just to sell one or two products from any "XYZ" wholesalers, then disappear and in this issue, "DAVEM" dealer went out of business and IC Realtime encourages it's dealers to resolve the issues first hand, and if the DEALER can not resolve the isssue, IC REALTIME will step in.

IC Realtime is not in the business of taking care of end users, IC Realtime's authorized DEALERS are supposed to take care of the end users.

Yes, my post in biased, as I stated I only buy IC Realtime security products, but I have tested the intergrity of IC Realtime numerous times in the past.

How? As the exclusive dealer in the North Florida market, if a end user comes into one of my stores and grabs a catalog; which is a IC Realtime catalog with IC Realtime's contact info all over and a end user calls them to try and circumvent my operation, thinking they will get a cheaper price, IC Realtime just refers them back and if the "end user" states they will buy someone elses equipment cause they can't buy direct, IC Realtime still sticks to it's guns to protect the DEALER first.

So I know without the "END USER" thier would be "NO SALES", but without a WHOLESALER who backs it's DEALER NETWORK, you have constant bidding wars going on.

I tried all the other importers who rebadged gear like IC Realitme and the "others" will sell to anyone with a credit card.

Are you seeing the point now?

Far as making this right, IC Realtime has not agreed to fix the DVR in question for free, nor should they have too. As a subject matter expert on at least the IC Realtime product line, the DVR in question without a doubt has at least one of it's camera inputs surged (or mutliple).

And "DAVEM" has already stated he's a novice at camera installation, if he didn't install his cameras the right way originally (grounded, power supply, wiring over high voltage power lines etc) is the reason his DVR is non malfunctioning.

And since "DAVEM" already did his due diligence by identifying the actual manufacturer as listed at http://www.dali-tech.com/en-ProductInfo.asp?TypeID=8&ID=13

I'm confident if "DAVEM" had conversations with them, they would be stating the same thing to him about the cause of the DVR malfunction as I stated above.

If I was IC Realtime, I would provide "DAVEM" with a cost estimate to repair the DVR and if "DAVEM" wants to absorb that cost. I'm sure IC Realtime will do it at actual costs as well.

IC Realtime is not in the business of taking care of end users, IC Realtime's authorized DEALERS are supposed to take care of the end users.

I agree 110% If I have a problem with my van I don't go to GM HQ Detroit MI. There are like 1000 dealers between me and Detroit that I would expect to help me first.

That being said, it does sound like ICRealtime is somewhere in the middle. Hopefully they draw a solid line and simply refer future inquiries back to the customers closest dealer.

Ive had a instance where I contacted a overseas manufactures tech depts direct with issues and got responses and solutions, even a offer to do some harsh field testing after they read my tech notes. In so far as Trucks and GM, one of the construction outfits I used to work years ago had a issue with a fleet buy and the trucks had defective idler arms...there was a failure to notify fleet shop stewards and the local dealer was not helpful at all....so they bypassed the regional sales rep and got in touch with Detroit direct and the issue was resolved. So in business, sometimes a direct courteous contact and persistence can work. As far as I am concerned no matter what the claim, be it one product or a large order, a company and its products is only as good as its support and QC. Respect goes a long way in my book. As I stated before, the economic reality will make customer service the driving force in todays market if a co wants to stay in business. Regards

I also have had a bad experience from IC Realtime. To summarize:

In September 2008, a salesman from IC Realtime had been talking with my company in an effort to get us to promote his company’s products to our customers. After some discussion my company agreed to try some of his products. The salesman made a verbal agreement whereby we would purchase some items on a 30-day trial basis in order to evaluate them. At this time it was our understanding that we would be allowed a full refund if these products did not meet our needs.

During our trial we had numerous issues with the IC Realtime products. Not only did the product not operate to our liking, but we also had a 60% failure rate while trying to do even the most basic task. We spoke with his technical support team several times but they were never able to resolve the issues that we encountered. I communicated to the salesman that we would like to return the products. The salesman insisted that we speak to technical support again for a solution. Once again, we spoke to technical support and once again they were not able to provide a solution. The salesman was again informed that we wanted to return the units but instead of providing me with return procedures, he again stated that I needed to work out the issues with technical support. I told the salesman that I did not have time to continue evaluating his product at this time. I boxed up all of the equipment and sent it to the salesman's office, labeled to his attention, on October 27. The salesman was notified of the shipment and given the tracking numbers.

On November 11, I notified the salesman of the UPS delivery and asked the status of my refund. The salesman stated that he would get with his boss on the refund and get back to me. I received no further calls on the matter.

On November 14, I asked about the status of my refund. I received no reply.

On November 17, I again asked about the status of my refund. I received no reply.

On December 1, I once again asked about the credit. I again received no reply.

On January 20, 2009 I spoke on the phone with the salesman and asked the status of my refund. He again began insisting that we needed to get the product back and speak again with his technical support team. I told him that I was not interested in re-evaluating the products and expected the refund that I was promised when I originally agreed to evaluate his products. He stated that he would get with his boss and call me back. Later that afternoon I received a call back from the salesman, who stated that his boss would only allow us an in-store credit. Furthermore, they would not offer a full credit, as they had suddenly determined that the items were not returned in good condition. The salesman stated that the DVR unit had a scratch on it, the box was torn and had holes in it, and all of the items were not in the box. Furthermore he stated that he could not offer a refund on one of the cameras because we had used it.

During my initial conversations with the salesman, he did not provide any stipulations regarding the condition of any returns. However, I can assure you that all items were treated with care and repackaged in pristine condition when I shipped them back. I personally packaged all of the items and guarantee that the DVR was not scratched, the box did not have tears and holes in it, and I was very particular about making sure all of the materials were in the box. If these issues do exist, they occurred after the items left my possession. The camera, I admit we did use. How did he expect me to evaluate it without using it? I also wonder why the salesman made no attempt in the nearly 3 months since I returned his products to notify me of these supposed problems. Neither the salesman nor his company made any attempt to notify me of any irregularities. I feel that his actions are a classic example of bait and switch practices.

I am now seeking a refund in the amount of $2082.00 plus finance charges for the items that were returned to IC Realtime. I have logged 14 pages of supporting documentation, including emails to and from the salesman, tracking #’s, pricing, and the IC Realtime “customer satisfaction guarantee.â€

With all due respect I find it amusing how your first posting on this forum is you bashing a legitimate company but yet, you do not put your company information on this forum. I personally hope that the moderator removes your posting and blocks your IP. I am old fashion If your going to say something bad about a company at least have the B@lls to be a man and use your info, Not just post something that cannot be proven.

I have logged 14 pages of supporting documentation, including emails to and from the salesman, tracking #’s, pricing, and the IC Realtime “customer satisfaction guarantee.â€

i sell ICRealtime DVRs in Mexico and I just have one issue with dvr and Ron sent me a hard drive to fix it.

and that was the only problem that I have with they. my clients are very happy with products and I want to use this brand in my big projects.

regards

Rebco, I am not bashing anyone. I am simply sharing the experience that I have had with IC Realtime. I thought that was the whole purpose of this forum. I am sorry that you feel that anyone who doesn't share your outlook on the situation is subject to a permanent ban.

Great take it to your lawyers office and not here.

I have already begun filing complaints through the proper channels. I certainly didn't expect anyone here to fight my battles for me.

Let me clear this up. I feel anyone that has no posts and the first post he or she types is a post bashing some company. I am not the type that sees someone down and goes there and kicks them, thats not me i would think differently if you had at the very least intoduced yourself or been around the forum before you start bashing a decent company that has been here since 2005. If you have a problem with them fine but to come on here and your first post you start attacking someone...

Your way off base on this. IC Realtime stands behind thier products period...

If I was IC Realtime, I would provide "DAVEM" with a cost estimate to repair the DVR and if "DAVEM" wants to absorb that cost. I'm sure IC Realtime will do it at actual costs as well.

Hello,

I do see where you are coming from, and I am open to both sides. while you do make valid points (things i already have considered before your post), I respectfully have a slightly different point of view on DaveM's specific scenario.

DaveM, in his original post, noted that he was told "the unit is out of warranty", to which he replied to ICRealTime that he knew it was out of warranty, and was WILLING TO PAY for the repair. They still shipped the unit back without giving him a quote, and before they even called him to talk to him about it.

And let's not forget the headache it took just for him to get ICRealtime to even get to the point of LOOKING at the DVR. He couldnt even get somebody to call him back to give him a name of a dealer to take it to!

The thing I've noticed here is that (generally) all of the dealers seem to think ICRealtime did the right thing and all of the consumers seem to think differently. I know the dealers love this because they dont want to be cut out as the middle man. Its business, i know... The bottom line is, an unhappy customer is an unhappy customer. They could've made him a happy customer by calling him back in a timely fashion and directing him to the nearest dealer, and then gladly servicing the item, and giving him a fair quote BEFORE shipping it back, and finding out if he'd like the work done.

They did none of the above. They had a frustrated customer for getting the runaround. Period. I don't care what other arguments you have.

That said, i do know that ICRealtime makes some great stuff.

Regards

I am not the type that sees someone down and goes there and kicks them, thats not me

You were pretty quick to kick me, sir. And as I stated before, I am not here to bash anyone. I simply stated my experience. As it stands, IC Realtime has had the equipment and my money since the end of October and has not once made an attempt on their part to resolve the situation. I have had to initiate every communication with them and have still got nowhere. Without getting into an argument with you, let me ask you this: How would you feel if you gave someone over $2000 and months later had neither the equipment nor the money you paid for it, and the manufacturer quit returning your emails or phone calls? I don't expect that my posts on this forum will resolve the situation in any way, but I do hope that anyone else who reads this will take note of the experiences of myself and others so they can draw their own conclusions about IC Realtime's business practices.

You would know if i kicked you , It's just funny too me that your first post is bashing a company that has been on here a very long time. Let me see if I can explain this to you. If I had a problem with a company and is a legitimate problem, I would let my lawyer deal with it because you risk of getting hit with a libel and slander suit whenever you have disparaging remarks about a company. And don't think that your anonymous when you post as your IP can be tracked down to you. Think about it as you will spend more money on a retainer for your attorney if the company files a suit against you, hope this helps and ends this post.

There is no point arguring with you. I still do not agree with you but I will be the bigger man and let it go since all we are doing is wasting one another's time. Have a nice week.

You would know if i kicked you , It's just funny too me that your first post is bashing a company that has been on here a very long time. Let me see if I can explain this to you. If I had a problem with a company and is a legitimate problem, I would let my lawyer deal with it because you risk of getting hit with a libel and slander suit whenever you have disparaging remarks about a company. And don't think that your anonymous when you post as your IP can be tracked down to you. Think about it as you will spend more money on a retainer for your attorney if the company files a suit against you, hope this helps and ends this post.

Did you really just write that? That looks to me like an oblique threat of a lawsuit designed to intimidate a new poster into shutting up. We're going to track down your IP address and have our lawyers come find you?

Is that how we do business here? Really?

As we all know (or should know), it's not libel or slander if it's the truth. Why the presumption that this new poster is lying through his teeth, and thus deserving of a legal proctoscopy?

Mind-boggling.

I may be alone on this one, but I don't think it's very good business to drop a dime to your lawyer every time somebody complains about your customer service. That's nothing but intimidation and legal thuggery, and doesn't reflect well on the organization that chooses to do business that way. How does that serve the customer that may have a legitimate beef? How do you think that looks to other customers?

let the truth be told and if ICrealtime, or anyone else, wants to call a lawyer.....whoopdie do!

Take it for what it is worth.........if someone makes a statement and it is true......then it is not a legal issue.

And there is a time and place for everything. I may not agree with this post yet I believe it servers a purpose. I have had some beefs with ICrealtime and many other "vendors" but I have learned to take my business elsewhere if not happy. Resolving it via a forum is not my style.

But, if it is what it is and someone feels inclined to type here......the involved party can either reply or shell out da big bucks for a Lawyer.

I personally feel that;

- any "in-store-credit" is a crime.........unless requested

- vendors who sell direct yet demand a "Partners" trust is ethically wrong.

- a promise to "call ya back" is as good as a hand shake. Make sure you wash your hands........

- warning others is ok

- resloving a issue here is not ok.

- an appology goes a long way...that is IF you ever get one!

Now, chill out and get ready for NASCAR. I hear they added a new Race to the chase. It's called the "Bailout 500". No sponsers and many weeners.

.......get it!

ps. I just made that up, you can use it.

You know what? You're right.

I'm going to take a step back from my last post; Rebco probably didn't mean that the way it came across. Still, I don't blame a poster for coming here and laying out their experience with a vendor. If you can't get somebody to return your phone calls or pay attention to you any other way, what are you supposed to do?

Coming here certainly beats getting a bunch of lawyers involved... and it may have actually helped the original poster resolve his issue. It took a bit of wrangling, but I'll give props to IC Realtime for at least recognizing the OP's issue and stepping up.

As for the bailout 500... don't get me started on that unmitigated disaster.

Hey folks. I just wanted to post a follow up. Someone higher up from IC Realtime contacted me around the middle of the week and we resolved the issue. I got my refund!

AHHH...the power of internet and forums! After mostly good posts and comments from the most of you and a few "way out of line" posts and comments, 2 customers were helped and their issues were actually resolved! Awesome!! Congratulations to CCTV Forum!!!