blake carstensen

spot lights coordinating with survallience systems

Wondering if anyone has seen a product for spot lights which could be triggered via survallience, typically motion. Imagine someone jumping a chainlink fence, setting off the motion detection on the survallience system, then having a spot light, or lights turn on and zero in on the position and move as the objects moves.

if not it would probably be an great way to scare intruders in commercial area's. A source of light which is tracks movement will scare some of these guys away when then get uncomfortable thinking their presense is been given away with the high candle power lights which are also providing apparent movement.

A DVR with alarm-trigger outputs could do it - the Vigils I work with are able to do it with a number of different models of output modules.

The problem with this idea is that if it's too dark to begin with, the camera may not catch the motion, especially if the intruder is dressed all in dark clothing. Standard motion-sensing lights may still be preferable.

Wondering if anyone has seen a product for spot lights which could be triggered via survallience, typically motion.

Mobotix offers an "I/O" box that connects to their cameras via serial or USB, depending on the camera. This IO box has input and output contacts to control devices including lights, speakers, intercoms, microphones...

You can then, for example, turn one outside light on only when video motion in specific areas is detected and turn another light on when motion is detected using the camera's PiR sensor.

http://www.mobotix.com:80/eng_US/Products/CamIO

Why not just use a cheap external security light with PIR?

They have a pir hanging under them, and come on when the PIR senses movement. Probably a lot more reliable than using dvr motion detection also.

protecting a fence line you would use IR/LASER barriers or Microwave possibly ground seismic or fibre optic style vibration senors

I prefer multiple encoded IR beam style it has 6 or so beams

AXIS has now have the M series [PIR and pre recorded messages]

very cool -but low res hope they make a version for grown-ups soon

m

To clarify my idea with the current situation at work.

The building is fenced off with your typical chainlink. Has about 4 acres of land. The building is a Large pre engineered building about 60' tall 80' wide and 140' long. Right now there are your typical lights which are on during the night. Having some common sense, and relatives who own an RV dealership, this typically only aids in theives to see what they are doing and really doesn't scare anyone away anymore.

What I would find useful would be powerful spotlights located at each top corner of this building. With the engineeirng that is available today it wouldn't be rocket science I'm sure. Using triangulation two spot lights would be activated and be motorized to pin point a strong beam of light onto the area which is providing motion detection on the survallience system.

Not that movies are a great reference to use, but look at your typical prison escapes. Light that does not move, just provides a good light to work with, once you have strong beams of light which are tracking you, you loose huge confidence with your plan, often giving up. This system being at an un manned building may also provide the false sense that someone is monitoring the building to activate these lights.

You can do that with a motion tracking PTZ. Like these guys:

They are using IR whereas you would want visible spectrum. I don't know anything about this company... It was the first picture I found close to what I was looking for.

motion_tracking_camera.jpg

^Damn, that looks real bad-ass!!

If that was tracking me... I'd run away!

Straight up, I'd be afraid it was packing weaponry!

Alternatively you could rig up light to a standard PTZ camera, you then would set several hardware detection zones ..preferably PE Beams, at each point you would tell the PTZ camera that when this zone triggers spin to this preset position.

This will work, but KNOWING where the camera is pointing defeats the purpose as triggers to point the camera away would be too easy...IE make the camera detect in one place and enter via another (if quick enough)..Idealy you want to flood the whole area with light not just the area the camera is pointing at...bright lights confuse and dont let you see where the camera is pointing, they also cause you to look up.