fullvision

The lowest Lux you ever saw?

We always know the Lux is 0.1, 0.5, 0.8. But now here have a 0.001Lux cameras.

I am very interest why 0.001Lux. Could any one tell me, how to know the Lux of each products?

I don`t think 0.001 is the correct number.

Some cameras use a combination of DNR and DSS to achieve the 0.001LUX. Color cameras that achieve that lux level without utilizing the DSS and DNR are usually over $8,000.00. Those 0.001Lux cameras are pretty good cameras though if used right because it requires a lil bit of light. People should not buy 0.001 lux cameras and realistically expect a $200.00 camera to equal a $8,000.00 camera. But then again it all depends on the application.

I don`t think 0.001 is the correct number.

Couple of quick points:

- There are some very low lux cameras, but they are relatively expensive (may cost $8,000 or more).

- Manufacturers typically do not mention the shutter speed with thier low-light lux rating. To achieve those low lux numbers, they may use a 2 second shutter speed, which is useless if you want to record movement. For example, 0.1 lux at 1/60 is considerably better than 0.01 lux at 2 seconds.

Best,

Christopher

It also depends on what lens is used for testing a lower fstop lens will give better light to the camera...be also careful that the reading is not given at 50IRE which is half full video strength and therefore a much better result...lastly there is a massive difference between lux at scene and lux at camera...sometimes this is mentioned as well it may say scene illumination rating....ast but not least the test parameters should count...IE scene reflectance......a white room as apposed to a normal one will give more light bounce.

There is a load to consider so firstly, fstop..then ire...then scene or camera measurement, then reflectance value...these can all be adjusted to make a camera look like it has a lower value that is long before any gain or shutter settings are added.

CPC4040WD SONY 1/3" 3RD GEN SS111-WD sensor. B&W/I/R (.00004 LUX B/W, .001 LUX COLOR) From SCD. I will order a Computar I/R lens as soon as I figure out which one I want. I will report how it is.

WOW! it will take a few weeks for the lens to come

Edited by Guest

I will report how it is.

Those lux values are sweet, especially considering the slowest shutter speed listed in the product spec is 1/60! We look forward to your report.

Best,

Christopher

Ignore it, beware of false advertising.

However there is always Exview CCDs and also the much pricier EM-CCD.

Ofcourse image quality at such low light levels is usually useless though.

And most lux specs from reps or manufacturers are just simply incorrect anyway, especially the OEMs.

Search for Samsung 1/2" SHC-750N EM-CCD camera.

It's about $5,000, is that right? Just curious, are there any IP cameras that use these sensors?

Best,

Christopher

Ignore it, beware of false advertising.

However there is always Exview CCDs and also the much pricier EM-CCD.

Of course image quality at such low light levels is usually useless though.

And most lux specs from reps or manufacturers are just simply incorrect anyway, especially the OEMS.

Whether it is or is not .00004 lux remains to be seen. I will find out! If it is not, it will go back. I will say that they advertise that one of their small bullets (CFB6021EX) at .0003 lux @ f 2.0 is for real. I have 3 of them. They see in moonlight, and if there is any I/R around, they are better than my 3895s.

Whether it is or is not .00004 lux remains to be seen. I will find out! If it is not, it will go back. I will say that they advertise that one of their small bullets (CFB6021EX) at .0003 lux @ f 2.0 is for real. I have 3 of them. They see in moonlight, and if there is any I/R around, they are better than my 3895s.

0.01 lux sees in moonlight, thats what exview is. Mostly useless images though. Like i said, most of these OEM advertised lux ratings are bogus, as is any lux rating of .0003 lux for an exview CCD (or they are rating it with super AGC on and extremely slow useless shutters and the camera being useless under any app outdoors in sunlight, heck I can do that with Paint shop pro or adobe after the fact).

BW Exview is specified around 0.001 lux faceplate, so thats 0.01 lux. F:2.0 is not even a low f stop, Ive used f:0.95 with exview cameras before to actually obtain the low light video. All exview BW bullets I tried have not had low light sensitivity even close to the more expensive Exview CCD used in the brand named box cameras. There was one rebadged out of taiwan (resold under various labels in the US) and they stopped making it, though it was too bright in the day so daytime was useless, and nobody else makes a decent Exview BW bullet anymore, so much for progression with technology

As for IR, most BW cameras regardless of 0.00000 ratings will recognize some form of IR, 0.1 lux can do great with IR actually better than an exview 0.01 in most cases, but not every camera is made alike and you have to pay more to get a camera that works well with IR.

example of color vs BW, three color cameras (low light superhad in lower left) and one 0.1 lux BW bullet camera (lower right).

top right, bottom left, and bottom right, are of the same area which is dark.

Lights on:

all2.jpg

Lights off:

all3.jpg

I was just testing the Kpc-sll650bhe and to my surprise it works great in low light. Ive been messing with different lenses and also was surprised to what a difference a lens can make. So in order for me to get this camera to work well in candle light conditions I found that an f1.8 lens with auto iris worked best. This lens is also 70mm rated and zoomed in without a problem. The camera also worked really well off the infrared from my remote control which confirmed that it can read IR.

I dont mind this camera at all, considering I was willing to buy the suntar 300, true infrared military grade cam for 1000.

I initially seen pics on here from this cam and they werent so good, perhaps the wrong lens was used, as I got the same with a cheap lens.

My conclusion on this cam, not a bad buy for the price and can see really well in low light conditons. Its also a black and white 600tvl, from my understanding most colored day cams turn to b/w at night and since my main concern was at night I really didnt need the color.

I was just testing the Kpc-sll650bhe and to my surprise it works great in low light.

Can you post some night images?

Best,

Christopher

I went ahead and set everything back up to start recording to capture a pic and couldnt get a clear picture what so ever, I have no clue what happened, my camera can no longer focus, im so pissed if anyone has any idea of what went wrong please inform me. I tried to auto iris lenses and they both were very blurry. Both were working fine a few days ago. I tried moving the switches in the back of the camera and nothing. Will post pics once I figure this out.

most BW cameras regardless of 0.00000 ratings will recognize some form of IR, 0.1 lux can do great with IR actually better than an exview 0.01 in most cases...

do you mean to say that all other things equal a BW regular cam will have better IR sensitivity than the same exact camera with a BW Exview chip? Or do you mean a regular BW cam will have a better IR sensitivity to IR than the same exact cam with a COLOR Exview chip???

ie would a 420 tvl BW cam 0.1 lux will have a better IR sensitivity than the same cam with a BW Exview sensor that had .01 lux?

I understand why standard BW sensor would be more sensitive to IR than a color exview but how could a BW exview be less sensitive to IR than a standard non-exview BW sensor?

thanks for explaining this one...

do you mean to say that all other things equal a BW regular cam will have better IR sensitivity than the same exact camera with a BW Exview chip?

I think he was saying that 0.1 cam with IR will do better than 0.01 Exview without IR. At least, that's the way I read it. According to sensitivity charts I have reviewed, the improved sensitivity of Exview compared to other sensors increases as the spectrum moves from visible to IR.

Best,

Christopher