joe4

Tivo as DVR? I am going to give it a try.

Has anyone tried using a TIVO as there recorder? I ordered 3 cameras and a quad today for the house and plan on using a RF converter to send the quad over my home cable on channel 76. I already have the TIVO and plan on trying to record the signal. Anyone have some advice, I will update this post in a few weeks after my install.

How can TIVO sell me a 80 hour for 200 dollars and have to deal with constant updates but I cannot get a DVR anywhere near that price or spec.

I contacted them years ago on this very topic and their response was something to the effect that they're not in "that type of business." This was before they had CCTV DVRs.

Over the years, I've seen some people claiming to have hacks for TiVo. But, given the cost of the hacks and the current prices of *real* multi-channel DVRs with all of the security features, I don't see any point pursuing a TiVo hack.

I dont quite know, but im going to take a guess on this as Ive never seen the specs of a TIVO nore used one yet

Do they record on motion detection?

If you are going to use a RF Mod, then the quality will be nowhere near a CCTV DVR, barely a VCR at that, especially from a quad. Or can you plug into the RCA input, or SVideo input? Still it will only be in quad mode ... so not a real multiplexer, no real full screen recording.

No remote video?

im not going to quote prices exact but for under $400 you get a non lan 4 channel DVR quad, or 9 channel DVR mux, retail or wholesale.

I have modulated a cctv (my front door) camera to my tivo. I haven't tried recording yet. The problem is you wouldn't be able to use the tivo for anything but a DVR. There are no settings for motion detection. Might as well just get a VCR at some point. Fun to play with though. You would also only be able to record on one camera (two at most), unless you purchased a multiplexor and such. At that point you might as well just buy a cheap DVR.

Try using the TiVo on your cable/TV system. Works pretty good. Hacks usually make a "system" outperform itself and not change the intended use. Learn Lynx/DVR operating "hacks" and focus your natural talents there. You might even get paid for it one day.

I have a Update.

My TIVO will not view the channel. If I plug a TV into my wall and watch channel 69 it looks great but TIVO does not work on it.

i got a Tivo but cant use it in the Bahamas, anyway, how do we get it to work, just to record like video etc, manually, is there a flash out there somewhere ..??

Why does it not work, if there is no local number you can use a wireless adapter to get the updates over the internet.

Just hit rec. and it will save what you are watching, or program a date time and channel.

PM me (or email) and I will get some schtuff for you to use Tivo for whatever you want use it for.

Just tried it with a Robot Mv96p-30 Multiplexer and a Phillips HDR612 Tivo. To the eye it recorded the signal just fine, alot of artifacting unless at 'Best Quality'. But the mux would not retrieve the embedded data from the fields and thus would not diplay them, just flashed 'Recorder Stopped' and would occasionally grab a frame! Must be the MPEG encoder stripping the mux data from the fields. Just a note incase others are curious. As far as my Quads, yeah works just fine. Set 'Recorder Connections' to Video or SViideo and use 'Manual Record' option.