Media

POE what do you guys use?

I just bought a Netgear switch that has four 10/100 ports, and four 10/100PoE ports (total of eight) for a hybrid system (two axis camera servers and a couple of IP cameras).

It's this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122152

They seem to be out of stock at the moment, but I'll try to post back when I've got everything hooked up.

it is ok switch

but it will cut your bandwith by 30-40 %

that why I stop using them

My experience with rack-mounted equipment is that they rarely pay any attention to how much noise the item produces. They figure it's going into a rack in a datacenter or wiring closet somewhere, so they put these tiny 40mm fans in them... and they're literally like sitting next to a hair dryer.

My current rack-mount switch (a 16-port Linksys managed Gigabit switch) was horrendous... bad enough that I took it out of the rack, took it completely apart, removed the two tiny noisemakers-disguised-as-fans that they'd installed, used an 80mm hole saw to cut a hole in the top of the casing, and installed a low-profile 80mm fan+grill (just enough clearance that it didn't hit any of the internal components.

The result? Ultra-quiet, and it moves more air through that switch than those tiny little fans ever did.

The only downside? I voided the warranty.

I just bought a Netgear switch that has four 10/100 ports, and four 10/100PoE ports (total of eight) for a hybrid system (two axis camera servers and a couple of IP cameras).

It's this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122152

They seem to be out of stock at the moment, but I'll try to post back when I've got everything hooked up.

it is ok switch

but it will cut your bandwith by 30-40 %

that why I stop using them

What are you using now?

by the way the camera are acti 3401

10/100 would be fine i think for 4 cameras or what do u think

It's my first time testing IP stuff

another question is can i use Cat6? instead of cat5?

Does the POE send out 12VDC or higher? i 've heard some stories the POE burns out IP cameras

For home, I use a 3COM 10 port switch (3CDSG10PWR). It's a managed switch, has one SFP port (just in case), is rack mountable and has a quiet fan!

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?pathtype=purchase&tab=features&sku=3CDSG10PWR

For customers, it's generally a case by case basis. The bigger shops tend to stick with Cisco because it's well documented and well supported.

Does the POE send out 12VDC or higher? i 've heard some stories the POE burns out IP cameras

Yes, you can use Cat-6 instead of Cat-5.

The current/popular flavor of PoE (802.3af-2003) is rated at 15.4W, but one must account for loss over the length of the cable. An upcoming flavor of PoE (802.3at) will deliver 24W of power.

by the way the camera are acti 3401

10/100 would be fine i think for 4 cameras or what do u think

It's my first time testing IP stuff

I've used a LinkSys SFE-1000P for two different sites now, and been pretty happy with them. They have eight 10/100 PoE ports and two fiber/GbE (gigabit ethernet) ports - cameras go on the PoE ports, DVR and NAS RAID rack go on the gigabit ports, and everyone gets along nicely! They have management capability as well, but I haven't yet had need for it.

Sure, they're just two different types of wire.

Current PoE supply spec is, I believe, 48VDC at up to 15.4W, as MYA notes; PoE devices should be able to operate on anything over 12-15VDC, so line loss shouldn't be an issue except over a VERY long distance... and remember that ethernet over Cat-5e is limited to 100m anyway.

Cameras should not be burning out unless: a) the camera doesn't adhere to the spec; b) the source doesn't adhere to the spec; c) there's a serious wiring problem. I've had a couple cameras die on PoE, and it was specifically because of a wiring problem.

-- LinkSys SRW2008MP -- Very loud. I've had two of these switches fail; but LinkSys support was good in replacing both units.

-- Netgear FS108P

-- SMC SMCGS8P - Quiet, 8-port, Gbit.

concerning CAT6 over CAT5.....why use CAT6? CAT5 has plenty of bandwidth for a single IP camera............it's a waste of money. Especially since IP cam technology continues to shrink bandwidth use.

I can see CAT6 on runs that will be increased to Gigabit with the intent of needing gigabit bandwidth.

yea, you can use it, but.........why use 10lb. sledge when a hammer works? The increase in cost is not warranted. Technology just might overcome/pass up wired links.

Depends on the situation... if it's a new install, new construction, going all Cat6 is probably preferable for the long run - not only are you future-ready, it's probably more cost-effective on the whole to buy only one type of cable (bulk pricing) and not have to mix-and-match different cable types.

BTW, that Netgear PoE switch I mentioned up-thread works just fine. I posted a picture from a PoE ACM-1231 camera in one of the ACTi threads... no issues at all.

BTW, that Netgear PoE switch I mentioned up-thread works just fine. I posted a picture from a PoE ACM-1231 camera in one of the ACTi threads... no issues at all.

What i meant before is

that I could not get full bandwith from swtch

Example

I had Arecont 2 and 3 Mp working no problem with this switch

but at no more then about 60-70 % of max bandwith

i connect through gigabit sw and got full bandwith

then i tried another the same switch

the same problem

lots of company i notice do not measure bandwith

but on another hand your Acti most likely do not need more then 10-15 Mbps

Ah... I see what you mean.

Yes... with protocol overhead and such, you're really only going to get 70-80Mbps out of a 100Mb switch. You can get significantly more out of a gigabit switch, but then you get into jumbo frames and other peculiarities that you need to really optimize a gigabit switch's capability.

You also need high-quality network cards... generic chipsets sometimes leave a lot to be desired. I lean towards the Intel Pro 1000Mb cards... always had good luck with them.

concerning CAT6 over CAT5.....why use CAT6? CAT5 has plenty of bandwidth for a single IP camera............it's a waste of money. Especially since IP cam technology continues to shrink bandwidth use.

I can see CAT6 on runs that will be increased to Gigabit with the intent of needing gigabit bandwidth.

Cat5 and cand cat6 have the same *network* bandwidth. Gigabit is supported just the same on both.

Cat-6 however, is a higher quality cable, reducing the possibilitly of inteference and ability to do better at longer lengths. So to the extent your cable is getting routed through noisy environment, it is a better bet.

Not an issue in this space but for extending HD video over HDMI, cat6 is recommended over cat-5 because there, we don't have retranmissions.