djmoose

Advice needed: single IP cam, outdoor, already have a server

OK, I live in a condo, but pretty confident that I could mount a camera above the garage and no one would notice.

I would like to have one camera, looking over my short driveway.

I already have a server and a lot of storage, so that's not a problem either.

What I want to do...would have a camera with motion detection...and when it sensed motion...it would snap pics every 10 seconds, for a minute or two after motion stops. These pics would be stored on the servers HD.

I'm not concerned about audio, or controlling the camera left/right, etc etc. Just a simple camera that does what I described above?

Could someone make some recommendations of hardware and software if needed? It can be wireless or not...I have a spare bridge that I can use.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any IP camera recommendations. (No experience) But I am sure you will be much happier recording motion events at say... 7 pictures per second vs. 6 pictures per minute.

10 seconds in an eternity when it comes to motion passing by your cameras' field of view. You mentioned short driveway; How long does it take to walk up your driveway?

You could just record to your storage with one high-res IP camera, storing the images until a preset amount of storage is used (1or 2 days for example), after which it begins overwriting the the oldest files. I've never used them, but you can try the IQEYE cameras online...

www.iqinvision.com iqeye.com I was thinking of their 600 series, provided you have some fair lighting outside at night.

Many other IP cams out there; depends on your budget & needs...

http://www.acti.com/ for MPEG4 streamers & IP cams, PM me for prices

Lots of cheaper ones out there too, look for the threads in here on the Axis cameras... many choices...

Could you use a usb video grabber & software (available in the UK for about £35.00, don't know about U.S.

This allows you to use any camera & has motion detection, remote monitoring etc.

Sounds like the simplest & cheapest way to me?

In your case you really should use a regular camera and any video capture card

it would cost about as much as an IP camera, but provide you with much better solution

IP cam pros - none i can think of

IP cam cons - bulky, uncosealable, poor video recording abilities, no timeline search

IP cam imho should only be used in cases where recording is not required

I would recommend utilizing a Toshiba wedge (IK-WB01A or 11A) for your application, as it is self-contained in a weather-resistant outdoor housing. The only downside is that it is a Java JPEG camera. For recording - pick up a cheap IP software solution (there are many for under $200.00) and this will be your simple solution. Or utilize a Vivotek, Hawking Technologies or D-Link (all the same Vivotek codec) MPEG-4 IP camera - but, now you have to worry about a housing for outdoors. Lots of solutions out the to accomplish what you have outlined...on a consumer budget...

Basically, all you need is a simple, fixed camera. Like a Pelco DSP, etc. hook that into your video server (which will make any camera an IP camera), get yourself a small router to make it all addressable and secure, and you're done. Most video servers have "events" you can define in them that customizable down to the second. They'll ftp images for x amout of seconds to wherever you want before and after the motion.

This sounds like a fairly simple setup. Get any outdoor camera with the resolution you require (it sounds like cameras with normal resolution will work well for you). Storage isn't a problem for you so you could go to a higher resolution camera with no problem. You will want a camera with 0 LUX capability as well most cameras with IR emitters have the ability to view images at extremely low light levels.

DONT set it to 1 frame per 10 seconds. Set it to 3 to 5 fps. Someone could run across your property in a few seconds and again, you said storage isn't a problem

This sounds like a fairly simple setup. Get any outdoor camera with the resolution you require (it sounds like cameras with normal resolution will work well for you). Storage isn't a problem for you so you could go to a higher resolution camera with no problem. You will want a camera with 0 LUX capability as well most cameras with IR emitters have the ability to view images at extremely low light levels.

DONT set it to 1 frame per 10 seconds. Set it to 3 to 5 fps. Someone could run across your property in a few seconds and again, you said storage isn't a problem

This was 2 years ago, I hope they got it straight by now ..