rory

bandwidth - its all about who you know

what kind of bandwidth do you guys have?

I just tested at 1.9mbps just now, which is about right ..

actually, i was at 60kbps last night, all night, couldnt even get my email 1/2 the time darnit ..so I spoke to a person I know at the cable co today and when I got home .. its flying again!!!!

Rory,

T3! - Our website alone has 3MB up and down allocation and the rest divided for other applications....

Levon.....

You must have fractional T3 or (4) T1... The only reason you have 5M instead of 6M is because your ISP is giving you 80%. Now, if it so, you have a claim against them as if you are using any of the (2) above, they must deliver full bandwidth and not the percentage and they must charge only for 5M bandwidth instead...

Gesuz guys, how come everyone else i talk to in the US has likle aol or some dial up!! sounds likt you guys have your own ISP! LOL - how much per month for 5 meg ..?

3 mbps down, 1.5 up. Of course right now I have access to a 100 mbps line here...

Who provides your 100?

You must have fractional T3 or (4) T1... The only reason you have 5M instead of 6M is because your ISP is giving you 80%. Now, if it so, you have a claim against them as if you are using any of the (2) above, they must deliver full bandwidth and not the percentage and they must charge only for 5M bandwidth instead...

Thanks I probably should have worded that better. True I'm paying for 6.0/508 adsl. But (around here anyway) adsl is a best effort service. So actually what is offered is 1.5-6.0/384-608 So in theory they are delivering what was promised even if I only get 1.5/384. The total throughput is affected by the condition of the copper and distance of the loop. So considering I am in an older neighborhood and 10 thousand feet from the CO I am happy to pay 40 bucks a month for my 5.0/500

My service provider is Sonic.net (A top rated ISP on BBR) the account comes with 8 static IP's and All services encouraged. All ports open, servers allowed, and they even allow reselling.

darn ..we got to pay $150 to get a Static Ip account for a business, or $90 a month for a home user .. and thats just for 1 static IP! And yah get around 1.5-2 download only .. maybe 384 -512 up .. $500 or so a month to get more IPs and faster ...

darn ..we got to pay $150 to get a Static Ip account for a business, or $90 a month for a home user .. and thats just for 1 static IP! And yah get around 1.5-2 download only .. maybe 384 -512 up .. $500 or so a month to get more IPs and faster ...

Dang. You must be living in a third world country or something...

Sonic gives 4 statics with most DSL circuits. The 8 I have comes with the "Enhanced" plan I'm on.

and i was talking about our cable company, lets not even mention the dsl pricing .. basically to get any kind of ADSL it is $490 a month for business or home .. regular dsl is cheaper but run by our government owned telco monopoly and most people can only afford the regular DSL, which doesnt appear to be anywhere close to the speed of cable, here. Tech support can be like pulling teeth with both of them ... but thats normal down here with anything ...

Rory,

You must come and live in U.S.... Not sure what are you doing in beatiful Bahamas except having fun and chasing girls.... I have not been there for years, but it is a great place to take vacations...

T3 is a 45M up and down and tied directly to internet main pipe... ADSL is excellent, but not stable. We used ADSL for years and had nothing but problems with 1.5M up and down. With T3, well we can distribute whatever we want and even operate as an ISP, if we want.... We have several customers who need high bandwidth for their websites and for their business near to us few miles away and in near by building and we are accomodating them with wireless dishes.. They pay less than what the actual ISP will charge, but it helps us with our monthly costs of over $6K for this line!

ADSL is a factor of a couple of things. How old is the wiring infratructure in the area? How good is the ISP? How far from the CO are you? Sometimes you get lucky.

I live across the street from Johnson Space Center in Houston. Now Johnson Space Center is about 40 miles away from Houston and when it was built there was noting out here. So they had to build a CO just for it. The apartment complex is very new and had to have a new line for it added to the CO. So I benchmark mine out at 2.9 down and I was promised 3.0. The line has been very stable.

Rory,

You must come and live in U.S.... Not sure what are you doing in beatiful Bahamas except having fun and chasing girls.... I have not been there for years, but it is a great place to take vacations...

sorry, no girls here, except spring break

We typically use SDSL lines, which gives us 4 megs up and down. I won't tell you how much we pay, but its under 100 bucks per month. The only drawback is we have to find locations close to the phone company where all the fiber is brought in.

Comcast Cable charges 45.95 a month for 4 Mbps down and I think 384K up. I think it may be a little more if you don't have their cable tv service as well.

Those ISP's over there really sock it to you. That's like Costa Rica where the ISP is basically a government run monopoly. No competition.

It's a little late for that now. Don't count the other threads I revived before getting this message.

I usually only revive a thread when it contains information that I don't want repeated, since some ground has already been covered on the subject. Plus it brings the topic back to the forefront where other might be interested in that particular subject matter.

Alas, the nature of people shows that new threads will be started with questions asked before. And I'm not saying to never bring back a thread, all I ask is that there be good reason to.