Integratek

The very best DVR card

I've installed around 15 systems using both Diginet and Geovision cards in about a same proportion, neither of which i found a good, professionaly made product due to numerous reasons, also i've seen Pico and Magick Radar, which is kinda lame in my opinion.

Now we've decided that buying cards and cameras from local suppliers is simply not effective sine market is highly competetive and we are simply loosing deals because we just are not able to beat bigger companie's prices, so we are considering trip to China to bring us some equipment.

So what card is the best ? or rather what make would you choose if you were buying around one hundred 25-50 fps card, fifty 100 fps and another fifty of 200's.

I would say you get what you pay for these days. The one thing I have never understood is an integrators biggest expense is service calls but yet they will try to save a few bucks on a card only to give back that much and several times that. That is why ultimately unless there is a good reason one should look at the better embedded systems. PC's can still do things that embedded units cannot but in individual installations they are still the best solution.

well

the most important issue for me if i could have embedded system with most features pc-based system would have for about a same price

PC+CRT+OS cost me around $700

cheapest embedded system i've found on local market - about $1500

yet i have not researched what's best solution to import from china or korea or wherever they make it

There are many, but they tend to only sell to large distributors and OEMs.

Avtech, Active-Tek, Sunnell ... etc.

But if you want a feature rich RTOS DVR then its going to cost much more than those ...

I've been running the Video Insight for 6 months with no problems. It's better than having the "stand alone" because of the flexible program features. And most important, Video Insight answers the phone when you have a question, day, night, and weekends!

Anyone else have comments on the Video Insight DVR card?

I might be for not too long in the business, yet i found properly built and configured PC quite maintenance free.

WinXP sp2 is really stable, even if is does stuck watchdog reboots computer

Customer unable to play with machine coz i disable all system keys and run dvr soft as restricted user.

At other hand it requers highly skilled person to setup.

The problem lies in customer support, so that even if you've built your system of good components and configured it right, some dvr applications, like Diginet for example, are too complicated for the average end-user to deal with. MagicRadar, which you call lame, is just for the example, much more user friendly and easier for you as an installer to support.

Each card and its' application has advantages and disadvantages, and I believe you should take the clients' convenience into consideration when choosing your preferred card, since his convenience is in most cases your peace of mind.

Another problem is preventing the end-user from using the dvr computer for other tasks like surfing the net, especially the Israeli user, so it is advised to charge for supprot caused by improper use of the dvr system by your clients.

This is the main reason for the increased demand for standalone dvr's, which can used for nothing more than recording video.

We should try to get someone to sponsor a test comparing all the different cards but since they are so disimilar might be a tall order. As far as the standards MJPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4, Wavelet, H.264 most of that is common knowledge with respect to their codec abilities.

Maybe try to get the manufacturers involved somehow to try to show us their virtues but most i guess would be afraid of a forum unless it was "tape delayed."

In the IT space many companies have a Q&A session live at set times to discuss their product. Why not do that here? Any suggestions?

Invite them to speak and answer questions.

Personally I like GeoVision cards and their software. It's easy to use and pretty stable. Specially after 6.1 update, or even 6.1.1... They are up to date with their software and always working on new features. I cant say that they are definetly the best, but I just like them.

Customer service has been pretty good so far - no complains. For a very technical problem I have even talked to a barely english-speaking person in Asia, some expirience I must say... In the end I figured the problem myself and had to explane it to them

Other then that a regular PC is the way to go - just make sure you disable everything the user will not need, or you'll get sick of service calls...

Preventing user from using computer for any other task than using DVR is not complicated at all.

just disable task manager in registry

put the account DVR run under in Users group and remove from Administrators

protect Administrator account by password

disallow Users group using IE

put password on bios

deny access to removable media, or even hide all drives

disable regedit.exe

make Windows log on automatically with limited credentials

and thats about it

i can assure you nobody exept a good hacker can do anything with this machine

for me is really difficilt to consired how user frendly is any piece of software, so i just prefer to tutor mu clients on the application

recently i've got a costumer who had an internet account with dynamic IP address. so i've installed no-ip client to be able to find the computer on the internet. the problem was that Diginet Center software does no support domain names, so each time the line was disconnected he had to run cmd.exe, ping the machine and copy resolved ip into Diginet Center setup dialog. i've showed him couple times how to do that, he've written it on sticky paper and now he's really proud of himself since he's able to Program The Computer.

Besides that using remote desktop software allows you to make virtually any system-wide changes remotely.

in my humble opinion this is a very good point

Each card and its' application has advantages and disadvantages, and I believe you should take the clients' convenience into consideration when choosing your preferred card, since his convenience is in most cases your peace of mind.

We should try to get someone to sponsor a test comparing all the different cards but since they are so disimilar might be a tall order. As far as the standards MJPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4, Wavelet, H.264 most of that is common knowledge with respect to their codec abilities.

lets face it it all stemmed from h.264, industry standard is Mpeg4 and the best is Mpeg2 but no one can afford that space yet so it is a way off!!!

Preventing user from using computer for any other task than using DVR is not complicated at all.

just disable task manager in registry

put the account DVR run under in Users group and remove from Administrators

protect Administrator account by password

disallow Users group using IE

put password on bios

deny access to removable media, or even hide all drives

disable regedit.exe

make Windows log on automatically with limited credentials

and thats about it

i can assure you nobody exept a good hacker can do anything with this machine

for me is really difficilt to consired how user frendly is any piece of software, so i just prefer to tutor mu clients on the application

recently i've got a costumer who had an internet account with dynamic IP address. so i've installed no-ip client to be able to find the computer on the internet. the problem was that Diginet Center software does no support domain names, so each time the line was disconnected he had to run cmd.exe, ping the machine and copy resolved ip into Diginet Center setup dialog. i've showed him couple times how to do that, he've written it on sticky paper and now he's really proud of himself since he's able to Program The Computer.

Besides that using remote desktop software allows you to make virtually any system-wide changes remotely.

i find it interesting that the majority of IT guys love Geo, I did after all, they are the leaders in features but maybe not in quality, i think they will be strong one day as it all moves to I.P

Well, we all have to remember that GEO is mainly famous because they treat their product as a piece of candy that you could buy at a corner store.

I personally don't like them, I find the I-view system to be more stable and less prone to any problems, although I respect the fact that Geo's hardware is a very good product, their software, in the words of the infamous "RORY", looks like it was made by a high school student for a class project. Maybe the features are good, but that DAMM GUI just won't cut it.

Personally I like GeoVision cards and their software. It's easy to use and pretty stable. Specially after 6.1 update, or even 6.1.1... They are up to date with their software and always working on new features. I cant say that they are definetly the best, but I just like them.

Customer service has been pretty good so far - no complains. For a very technical problem I have even talked to a barely english-speaking person in Asia, some expirience I must say... In the end I figured the problem myself and had to explane it to them

Other then that a regular PC is the way to go - just make sure you disable everything the user will not need, or you'll get sick of service calls...

Yes, but if you want to use 6.1.1 software, you need to ship your card in and have some chip upgraded... unless you have a newer card. It is done for free (with the dealer we used anyway), but we are unwilling to have no CCTV surveillance for a any length of time.

Edited by Guest

Geo = Candy

How do you get customers to work with you? Show them the candy.

We have this line of 360-degree surveillance cameras from iPIX.

Gets you in the door 100% of the time - sales take it from there...

Simple as that. Its business we talk about after all.