fuzzelogic

CCTV Stock Room Wire Install - 5 deg pitch - No Attic Access

Hello,

I would like to install a security camera in a stock room area of a store. My problem is that the a portion of the roof is about a 5-10 degree pitch

I can access a portion of the attic to get closer to the stock room, but not the whole way over to the stock room.

How would I be able to pull the cable thru the enclosed portion of the celing without cutting big hole into the drywall to be able to guide the cable thru the ceiling.

I attached a picture from the outside of building and of the inside.

The white circle is enclosed area. No Attic Access

The yellow circle is the walkable area.

This is pharmacy so I was trying to avoid having exposed cable due to previous robbery attempts.

Thanks for any suggestions

stockroom-picture.JPG.1a0360d34148c28bcfb0bc9936cd1250.JPG

inside-stock-room.JPG.444a09315866c2ac078b1f5a643b195b.JPG

Edited by Guest

Where the entrance is...is there a vinyl ceiling there? If there is maybe you could remove a few tiles of the ceiling over that entrance to expose the rafter of the overhang. Can you get do that? It is possible that the rafters on the main building and roof of the over hang would allow a through way for a cable to pass.

Another way not recommended in my book but could get you by in a pinch is to pass the cable to that one camera behind the vinyl siding if that is what you got there. Get the cable to at least the crawl space of where you can get to.

Or you could run some conduit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check to see if the ceiling outside could be removed.

I would prefer to keep inside the building due to the fact there have been robberies in the past. The people who try to break in become very motivated if they want something inside the building.

On the inside, you can see that the ceiling is drywall.

A better place than the white circle to put that outside camera would be in the corner near that door. If you were to put a camera on the outside location where you have the circle it would be very easy to bypass that camera by entering from the opposite side of the entrance there. Put yourself a vandal proof dome in that corner or right above the door.

As far as the inside goes it's hard to tell from pictures where the ajoining walls are. Your lucky it's just drywall and it's in a stock room. I've had installs where the ceiling are knotty pine etc... Look to where you want to locate the camera and find where the ceiling rafters are with a stud finder. It's very easy to cut yourself a square hole inbetween the rafters and then put up a new piece when you're done, tape it, mud it, sand it and paint....done. Just need to get yourself a decent hole to work through so you can snake your cables from one side of the wall to the other. If you put the camera in the corner of a shared wall and you could get to the attic space on the other side you may also be able to drill up at an angle with a long bit from the location of the camera in order to get in the space above. Once you're there you can use techniques that Scorpion has on his site for snaking cables from the outside soffits to the inside attic space.

A few more thoughts for you.

If you have to run exposed wires, you're going to require conduit. Drug users/abusers can be pretty motivated when it comes to vandalism.

Can you use a wireless camera, and put the receiver in the attic, and run the video back to the DVR?

Can you use a wireless camera, and put the receiver in the attic, and run the video back to the DVR?

He's still gotta run power to the camera...

I'm pretty sure if you measure the height of the ceiling on the inside and the outside you can drill a hole diagonally from the sofit above the door or even on the front to the attic area that is accessible.

I would definitely install the camera in the corner above the door.

Hello All,

I planned on installing a enclosed camera on the loading dock in a couple of weeks...So now I have a couple of ideas about how to accomplish that portion of the install after reading the previous posts.

I'm going to run the conduit for the outdoor camera possibly up the side of building and drill a hole in the side of the building to where I can pull the wire from inside the attic.

For installing the camera inside the stock room, I'm going to have to do another survey of the property to see if I can find some other pipes to follow to install the camera.

I might also just drill a hole thru the stock room and run the cable above the drop ceiling that is in the adjacent room that is not visible from the photos.

All,

Steps to accomplish install with no attic access in stockroom.

1. Went into the attic where we could get into the attic and removed the insulation to look into where the cameras would be installed.

2. We located some lights, and a Solatube for a close proximity to our install location.

3. I drilled a hole slightly larger than the diameter of the cable.

4. We had to use 2 Steel Fish Tapes. One person is in the attic & and the other in the stockroom. I put my steel tape into the hole. The other person in the attic opened the hook slightly on their steel tape to hook mine that I was holding for them to catch.

5. Once the person was able to grab my steel tape. We pulled our cable from inside the open attic into the stock room We figured it would be less cable to have to pull through the hole that was just drilled.

6. Then it's pretty much a standard hookup of the camera to the DVR.

All,

Steps to accomplish install with no attic access in stockroom.

1. Went into the attic where we could get into the attic and removed the insulation to look into where the cameras would be installed.

2. We located some lights, and a Solatube for a close proximity to our install location.

3. I drilled a hole slightly larger than the diameter of the cable.

4. We had to use 2 Steel Fish Tapes. One person is in the attic & and the other in the stockroom. I put my steel tape into the hole. The other person in the attic opened the hook slightly on their steel tape to hook mine that I was holding for them to catch.

5. Once the person was able to grab my steel tape. We pulled our cable from inside the open attic into the stock room We figured it would be less cable to have to pull through the hole that was just drilled.

6. Then it's pretty much a standard hookup of the camera to the DVR.

This sounds like the best bet in my opinion. I'd strongly consider running conduit outside because some people would just assume it was plumbing or something of that sort.... but the above is a very good recommendation.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

Yes, I plan on running conduit from the camera along the building and then drill a hole into attic and pull the cable.

On the stockroom installs, we were able to keep the cable inside the attic so only the cameras are visible.

Yes, I wanted to make it difficult for somebody to be able tocut the video camera wires.

Hello,

Yes, I plan on running conduit from the camera along the building and then drill a hole into attic and pull the cable.

On the stockroom installs, we were able to keep the cable inside the attic so only the cameras are visible.

Yes, I wanted to make it difficult for somebody to be able tocut the video camera wires.

Difficult? haha you'd rather make it darn near impossible without causing a scene! Hopefully you can accomplish this. What cameras did you end up going with tho?

I used a dome camera and a bullet inside the stockroom

The store is getting ready to install new siding on the building...so I didn't purchase or install the outside cameras yet because there was no reason to install the cameras to remove them before the installation of the new siding.

Both cameras disucussed in this thread were to be installed inside. The reason why you see the outside of the building is becasue I wanted to give people an idea about the angle of the roof I was having to work with during the install.

On the ones I install outside of the building I plan on using the other peoples suggestions of incasing the wire inside of some stype of conduit... but not sure what type.

I do plan on installing a camera on this side of the building but haven't determined the location yet due to not having purchased the cameras. It make sit easier to see what the picture looks on the screen and leave a couple of extra feet to play with during the install to get the best placement.

seems you did the work already , but i would have suggested going in to the stockroom , unscrewing a fluoro light off the ceiling and pushing draw rods through the ceiling cavity in both directions using the holes above the light fixtures , next pull from the attic side to lift the cabling upwards away from any power cables , then screw the light fitting back up to the ceiling.

if you wanted to , make a new hole above the light , it will be hidden when you put the light back up.

as long as it allowed you to push and pull cable in two directions to bridge that space ... end of problem