MetzLyov

What Operating system do you use??

i just never came across one PC that it was not 10x better than 98 on ...

I have it on a 600Mhz Laptop which is 3 times faster than my 2.4Ghz with XP on it.

But like i said, I never leave any OS to default, as default windows, any windows OS in defaul settings, is crap and slow ...

Anyway, you were trying to use ME/98 for a DVR???

Win ME is very, very, very hardware dependant. On some machines, it's rock soild. On others, it's painfully unstable.

What type of dvr are you running?

Here in the states, Lindows is turning out to be a dud. I think they changed to name too...Microcrap sued them...go Billy!

Ive never used it, what is it like? I Kept seeing it on the $200 PCs at tigerdirect.com.

You have to pay for everything extra with an account through them. I will wait until Linux is able to run on a desktop (when stable)

Hey guys... Great posts...

I have no problems with any OS, as long as it delivers the goods... I personally do not like and never liked MicroShaft OS, regardless which version including their latest version... I hate restrictions and dependencies and specially the highest costs for any software within that platform.

Lindows is ok... If they only can take Micro**** off their back and then they will start producing excellent results. Used it for a short period of time, but because of restrictions imposed by Microsnake, they can not really offer everything possible.

Now, I have been using Linux from its inception. It does not matter which distro you use, as long as you utilize the latest GPL engine.. It is the most stable OS in existence, as long as you are not trying to use the latest and greatest hardware, as drivers are hard to come by...

Check out Suse's latest 9.3 version. I have used their 9.2 version in the last year and previous versions from their the begining and recently upgraded to 9.3. It comes with all the essentials you can possibly think of - OPENOFFICE 2.0 (at the moment beta, but 1.1 is very stable), Thunderbird e-mail and Firefox. You can buy the paper with CDs or download the full version for free. Regardless which option you use, you will end up with very stable and extremely cost effective (how about free) operating system that does deliver the goods day in day out... No wander, over 70% of the servers around the world are using Linux or derivative of Linux (FreeBSD, etc) to run their platforms and applications.

With all the available software applications in Linux, Microstupid is in deep trouble. The latest news from them is that they will adhere to Linux based "front end" server application, which Dell have been testing for a while now.

I thank everyone for puting their opinions for this question.

Levon

One final note....

Linux or its derivative are the only OS that support 64-bit processessors and applications that were written for it....

Where was or is the Microsushi to support this type of platform??

Levon

Um, it depends on support and the OS. There are 64-bit versions of 2k3. But XP's 64 bit edition comes out in about a week.

Yes, finally XP 64_bit is out for several weeks already... Here are your main restrictions:

1. YOU CAN NOT BUY RETAIL.

2. YOU CAN UPGRADE ONLY IF YOU HAVE XP PROFESSIONAL. IF YOU HAVE XP HOME OR ANY OTHER VERSION, NO CAN DO.

3. YOU CAN BUY IT ALONG WITH OEM HARDWARE, DELL, HP AND OTHERS.

4. VERY BUGGY - MORE CRASHES THAN XP PROFESSIONAL.

5. VERY LIMITED DRIVERS SUPPORT - NOT EVERY MANUFACTURER HAVE THE DRIVERS FOR THE SAME HARDWARE IN 64-BIT.

6. SINCE YOU CAN NOT BUY IT AS RETAIL, THEN THEY WILL CHARGE IF YOU NEED SUPPORT.

7. VERY LIMITED 64-BIT APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE. IT WILL MOSTLY WORK WITH YOUR EXISTING APPLICATION AT 32-BIT

8. THEY WILL FIX THEIR PROBLEMS ONLY WHEN PEOPLE SCREAM.

9. YOU POPULAR PLUG-INS ARE NOT FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

10. THEY ALREADY TALKING ABOUT CHARGING MORE FOR ALL THEIR OWN APPLICATIONS RUNNING ON 64-BIT.

AND MANY MORE...

Both...

Here are some of the advantages...

Faster performance, faster retreival, faster calculations, usage of newer code (NX) against worms, higher level authentication (254 bit +), much faster and efficient multi-tasking of several applications together, much better usage and more dependent on RAM (that is why the minimum RAM required is 1G)... and the list just goes on and on....

Also, procesessors capability to run instructions in 64-bit platform with twice as fast and usage less internal pipe bandwidth, thus increase on overall performance...

I just wander what Microscreen will do when the newer dual core processessors hit the market this year. I already seen Intel server with dual core processessor. Totally useless procesessor if the OS and the applications are not utilizing its full capabilities.

I do not see it taking off in consumer level, rather for businesses that need such performance boost and ability to pay.

Linux on the other hand, is already layed out the plans to support dual core processessors and I am sure when this new hardware becomes available, as always, Linux will be there first to support it....

Levon

So still going to need a super computer? At least for the new windows ..? I can run Windows 95 on a 2Ghz and its flying off the chain

So still going to need a super computer? At least for the new windows ..? I can run Windows 95 on a 2Ghz and its flying off the chain

Thats for sure, but with windows 98

yeah but i wonder if I can find it on there, cant buy it anymore right ..? not that who would want to spend the dollars .. interesting to know if any of these new PC DVRs would work on 95 .. at least the ones that claim to work on 98..

yeah but i wonder if I can find it on there, cant buy it anymore right ..? not that who would want to spend the dollars .. interesting to know if any of these new PC DVRs would work on 95 .. at least the ones that claim to work on 98..

You can still download it I believe. I would be 50/50 to say new pc dvr would work on 95. You will need to do some extra code looping, when microsoft lets some information on its source code. I think that they are releasing the info sometime this fall.

A few things.

1. You can't buy retail because the only form out has been in beta. The retail release hasn't occured yet.

2. There will be a stand alone version. Given the structural differance, I wouldn't upgrade but use a clean install.

3. The buggyness is tied to the driver issue.

4. As much as I dislike MS, they haven't sunk so low as to charge for support with a beta product.

For now Rory, there are very few advanatages to using a 64 bit chip, except that manfacutres are shipping them at higher clock speeds. NX support is presant in thier 32 bit cousins, you won't get a speed boost for most apps, even if it's been coded for 64 bit.

Bussinesses have had access to 64 bit hardware since before Linux was a gleam in Linus's eye. *BSD's have had 64 bit support for various infrastructures. Sun has been more then willing to sell you 64 bits for a long time. So has IBM.

As far as OS support goes, both Windows and Linux show dual core chips as two processors (or four if they have HT) in SMP mode.

You can still download it I believe. I would be 50/50 to say new pc dvr would work on 95. You will need to do some extra code looping, when microsoft lets some information on its source code. I think that they are releasing the info sometime this fall.

I know that Geo doesn't support Win98SE anymore. My first experiences with them were on 98SE. At the time they weren't entirely pusing to use Win2k or XP, so I went with 98SE. I still have 5-6 machines running that for clients that don't use it for that much. But they are stuck with Geo 5.401 I think. In order to get 6 or above you need at least Win2k.

The crazy thing with Linux is that if you get nearly any Brooktree-based bt848/bt878 card, it just loves it and you can take the video all day. For some simple apps where audio isn't needed and only a few cameras were required, a setup like this would be cake. Obviously Geovision could do it way better, but more and more I'm seeing people wanting really advanced remote capabilities. And while XP sure has a nice remote desktop (requires XP Pro), it sure does want bandwidth. Linux you can just setup SSH. It's encrypted, and you can do tunneling and a ton of remote stuff.

I actually have a funny story. I use Linux (via rdesktop) to remote desktop into WinXP systems!!! rdesktop only gives you 256 colors unless you have serious bandwidth, so it works great. The video is bad, but at least you can do ADMIN stuff.

Anyway, FYI.