MetzLyov

What Operating system do you use??

Hey everyone...

Just curious – what operating systems everyone in this forum use?

I have used Suse Linux for years (from its inception) and with latest 9.2 version, I virtually have everything I need from the OS with built in crucial applications that we use daily basis and guess what - IT DOES NOT CRASH!.... At our workplace, most of everything we use is based on Linux except certain servers that are working with FreeBSD (derivative of Linux). Can't say I like Microsoft – too buggy and too many problems with crashes and with Internet Explorer that can be very easily hijacked and not including the ridiculous prices for every product they sell. It would be very interesting to know what everyone uses or what are everyones preferences? How about Internet Explorer Alternative – i.e. Firefox, Opera and others??

Levon

since yah ask .. get ready now ... he he ..

iwas using windows ME since it came out, I had it blowing 98 away and Xp for many years ... and more secure than XP ... until Windows XP Service Pack 2 came out. .. the most secure XP so far, and more secure than ME even ,...

No Linux ofcourse ... but linux wont do what I need it to do ..

anwyay, no Internet Explorer at all, just Fire Fox ... 20+ odd windows services disabled ..i guess you could say its a stripped down version of XP ... doesnt work with DSL or Dial Up even .. tried it ..Cable works fine ...all themes and any add ons turned off or uninstalled, including everyones favourite MSN messenger, not to get mixed up with Messenger Service also disabled ...

Ohh, and I forgot to mention im a spead freak .. so if I get my hands on a preinstalled PC be sure its gonna get RE_FORM_ATTED ...

later

Rory

Rory,

Just curious - What is XP can do in your mind that Linux can not??? Is it the MS based applications, i.e. office pro, etc.? I'd like to know your personal assesment.

Rory,

Just curious - What is XP can do in your mind that Linux can not??? Is it the MS based applications, i.e. office pro, etc.? I'd like to know your personal assesment.

question should have been, what can windows ME do that linux cant ... and XP does even more than ME ....

-Instant Jump Drive

-Instant USB Any thing

-ASP Web Development

-Work Between Portable and non portable windows with Ease

-most used OS in the world - in other words - no compatabilty issues with friends / families PCs

-One OS - know 1 System inside and out

-Driver Support for everything ...

-Paint Shop, Cam Studio, BCWipe, millions of other software I download that need windows ...

there are enough compatibility issues with windows, dont need to worry about another OS ... not enough time and too much other things to do ..

And im not a "fan" of XP, it is just all there is right now ... for what we want to do..

never used linux so I cant really compare, just from what linux users have told me ...i dont plan on, neither mac ...

Internet Explorer is crap .. thats why I use FireFox or other .. but to be honest, since I started using windows ME, I have never had a PC crash on me ever ... had some memory issues with Windows ME that was it, but it was a bad mother board in the end .. i dont ackowledge PC as being stable ofcourse .. just never crashed on me .. I wouldnt trust my security on a default XP or ME system though, if it isnt stripped down I wouldnt even use it for anything ... default setups are always shabby .. Service Pack 2 is a totally different OS though ... I wouldnt be using it otherwise .. And by the way, RTOS linux DVRs have crashed on me soo many times it isnt funny .. gawd knows how much a PC based is going to as I start to use them now ... ;-( Nucleous RTOS is the only ones that havent locked up totally on me yet ...

What windwos ME, in my opinion that is the worst opearating system. Windows xp corp with service pack 1. Running with geovsion.

My perspective has two directions. Personally I use XP Pro and have had very few problems with it. I like the support available on the WEB and updates seem to be keeping pace with the hackers out there. Upgrades are simple. The features/capabilities that come with a PC based system are better than a embedded system. And running the DVR card (Video Insight) has been extremely stable. I only recommend a PC Based system to a PC capable person.

As far as "selling" a Video System I have found that the customer rarely understands "XP Pro", "Linux", or otherwise. If you sell them a PC they want to use it like one, hence the reasons why we lock them down. A stand alone system will work better for those who want a "VCR" look and feel.

I run windows 2000 and Gentoo Linux on differant boxes. I'm very tempted to add a Mac Mini to my network. And the BSD family predates Linux by over ten years.

What windwos ME, in my opinion that is the worst opearating system. Windows xp corp with service pack 1. Running with geovsion.

I use to get that alot from windows users that never used ME or didnt set it up properly. XP SP1 was one of the worst along with 98. SP 1 was the most in secure one they came out with.

ME was pretty hit or miss. I tended to find that hardware configurations seemed play a big role. With some types of hardware it got along better then others.

Thanks Guys...

I was just very curious what everyone uses.

Just few comments, if I may. It is a fact that Linux is installed on over 60% of the servers throughout the world. If you really do your research, you will confirm that Yahoo, Google and other majors are using Linux for their servers and most of their workstations. The whole Google infrastructure is based on Linux and that should be noted...

As for drivers and functionality, like anything else, it is just matter of getting use to a newer OS environment. I have been using Linux very long time and without any hiccups. Yes, sometime specific drivers for a newer products, i.e. video cards, sound cards are not available immediately, but there is a tremendous support for this OS and it does not cost you anything. I just hate when only one company – Microsoft is given so much power and control and prices they charge for similar applications that you can get them free for Linux.

As for everything that you may like with Microsoft based OS, it is available in Linux. To us, it is very practical and for the updates, extremely simple. If you really follow this trend, you will find out that not only it delivers the goods, but it does not cost you anything!

Levon

I like and use Linux at home and work but I also need my Windows XP.

Lots of major company's use IIS such as ebay, msn even the Linux Journal store was on IIS.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=ebay.com

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=msn.com

Linux and Windows have there place and I use both as needed, I also provide soultions knowing the strong and weak points of both platforms.

Its cool to see a DVR on a uptime list.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=demovi.com

I love linux but it needs one major thing before it becomes standard for desktops. It needs a better packaging system. RPMs suck. And as much as I love Gentoo.... emerge kde is just painful. Of course emerge -u world just rules.

so which operating system is best used for digital CCTV? I contacted a local installer and they are pushing a PC based system running on XP. My thoughs are that a dedicated Linux based system would be best since it requires much less re-boots and is dedicated for CCTV.. but when I mentioned that to the local installer they stated picture quality on the linux system doesn't compare to that of a Win XP system and a large amount of features are lost with a dedicated system. Whats your thoughts?

side note here.. I have been listening to you guys for months.. sure am glad I found this place.. thanks for your inputs!

PC Based systems are user friendly but have limited features when compared to PC Based sytems. PC Based systems have come a long way. I run Video Insight without any problems. Reboots only happen at my descretion, and the card itself comes with a system monitor wire that you connect to the motherboard which reboots the system if it freezes up. I don't have that connected on my system becasue I have not seen that problem with this card.

If you are PC smart I'd recommend a PC Based server. They are as good as the embedded systems now. If you want to turn it on and forget it is there then buy a stand alone system. Features cost money. The customer will tell you what they want.

By the way. I'm calling out the BS flag on the comment of "picture quality on the linux system doesn't compare". That's total bs. The picture quality is based on a lot of things and both the PC and embedded systems picture quality is directly "displayed" in the quality of the equipment, installation, and technology applied. From a installers perspective; we can make more money on PC systems because we can build them. I never tell a customer to go "PC" unless they want to work it like a PC. I prefer a embedded system to a customer only because the customer cannot screw it up. ALL customers think they are computer programmers and have a nack of doing things to the video server that cause it to crash and lock up. That's why we lock them out of it!

PC Based systems are user friendly but have limited features when compared to PC Based sytems. PC Based systems have come a long way. I run Video Insight without any problems. Reboots only happen at my descretion, and the card itself comes with a system monitor wire that you connect to the motherboard which reboots the system if it freezes up. I don't have that connected on my system becasue I have not seen that problem with this card.

If you are PC smart I'd recommend a PC Based server. They are as good as the embedded systems now. If you want to turn it on and forget it is there then buy a stand alone system. Features cost money. The customer will tell you what they want.

By the way. I'm calling out the BS flag on the comment of "picture quality on the linux system doesn't compare". That's total bs. The picture quality is based on a lot of things and both the PC and embedded systems picture quality is directly "displayed" in the quality of the equipment, installation, and technology applied. From a installers perspective; we can make more money on PC systems because we can build them. I never tell a customer to go "PC" unless they want to work it like a PC. I prefer a embedded system to a customer only because the customer cannot screw it up. ALL customers think they are computer programmers and have a nack of doing things to the video server that cause it to crash and lock up. That's why we lock them out of it!

RTOS systems give you a real image, you know its a PC when you see the image from a PC DVR

I am a huge Linux fan. I've been using Linux since around kernel 2.0. For servers it just works. For workstations it also just works. For family desktops, I'd unfortunately have to agree with Rory, there are lots of issues. Mostly due to manufactures ignoring it in terms of drivers.

I started with Red Hat (4.0?), and then moved to Mandrake (now Mandriva ) around 7.0.

Aside from Linux, I've found that WinXP w/SP2 is working quite well with firewall for my Geovision-based systems.

Just a side note here. Today I had to service a couple of older DVRs at one clients location.

These were nearly 2.5 years old, running Geovision 5.4, and Win98SE .

They were chugging along happily... until the hard drive died.

Even when they were first loaded, I could have put Win2k orWinXP onto them. But at that point, I didn't trust XP yet (SP1 hadn't been released yet), and I wasn't really into Win2k.

Sorry Rory, but WinME just killed me . After only dealing with a few machines with WinME it instantly was taken off my list. Then again, I had Win98SE at the top of my list at that point, so draw your own conclusions!

Anyway, just FYI for future reference.

Win ME is very, very, very hardware dependant. On some machines, it's rock soild. On others, it's painfully unstable.