joe4

Handreader 3000

Does anyone else use the HR3000 http://www.handreader.com I have installed some and love them. They work well over VPN and never let us down.

They also use them in the Winter Olympics for access control and athlete identification.

There outdoor case is way over priced, I had a fab shop custom make one for me for less than half what they charge. Even had heater, fan and power supply mounts installed. If you find a fab shop that makes the cases for stop light equpment they know there stuff.

I personally don't like the Hand Geometry readers. I'd rather go with Finger print or Iris Scan. There are also facial recognition readers but they still need some tweeking. The Hand Geometry reader is great for lets say Time and Attendance. Access Control No! When you can put your opposite hand upside down and still get a valid read? I don't like it...

I have only used them for time and attendance but why do you not like them for access control?

No you cannot use your opposite hand upside down, although if you have someone that is missing a finger or due to religious reasons cannot use there right hand you can enroll there left hand upside down instead.

I have worked at lots of companies that just use proximity readers for there access control, the handpunch add another level beyond that when you get the model with the card reader.

Finger scan in general suck if you ask me but I have heard some great things about the Iris scan. One of the problems with Iris is a lot of people do not like the thought of anything near there eye, or looking at there eye.

I believe http://www.morpho.com is the company that does all the FBI, CIA, DOD fingerprinting. They have some major contracts in other countries also. http://www.morpho.com/newsroom/newsroom.asp

You can set the sensitivity, but a cut usually will not change the shape of the hand so it would be fine, unless they put a bandage on it.

After you punch successfully you get a score, the lower the score the closer you hand was to what it thinks it should be. It also takes a successful punch and averages it with the last 3 punches so it keeps your template updated. I have enrolled people and 3 years later they have never had a problem or update because it updates as they grow or loose weight.

It does not read your palm, just the geometry of your hand.

I dont know guys, are there any results on harmful effects of any of this ..eye scan, finger scan, etc ..? I think the eye thing, I would personally not want to put MY eye in it ..

Personally I would (for myself now) use finger over hand ..

But another problem arises. What if I want a friend to goto my appartment, and grab something .. he cant get in, unless he has "my finger" ..??? Thats why I still prefer a card ... or at least both.. and a keypad ..

Rory

I dont know guys, are there any results on harmful effects of any of this ..eye scan, finger scan, etc ..? I think the eye thing, I would personally not want to put MY eye in it ..

Personally I would (for myself now) use finger over hand ..

But another problem arises. What if I want a friend to goto my appartment, and grab something .. he cant get in, unless he has "my finger" ..??? Thats why I still prefer a card ... or at least both.. and a keypad ..

Rory

All you need to do is make a latex replica of your hand and use it has a keychain for the spare proximity card.

And I agree on the eye thing, even at a foot away it just seems weird to have anything reading your eye.

I get the “it spreads germsâ€

By the way, who installs all this for you guys, I mean are you locksmiths also, or do you not need to touch the actual locks??

Joe, I have actually used the back of my hand on a hand geometry reader and it has granted me access. I use to use it all the time for Time and Attendance. Unless the software or the reader has gotten better in the las 4 years, which I'm sure it has it shouldn't be a problem. 4 years ago I know I could do that. That was one of the reasons we replaced our Hand Geometry Reader with an Iris Scan Reader. I would much rather use the finger print reader. These are not as bulky either. Bioscrypt has a nice dual prox/fingerprint reader.

If you are going to use proximity, I would recommend using smartcard technology. The readers are cheaper than standard prox but the cards are more expensive. 128 bit encryption. The added bonus is if the person doesn't have to use the smart card portion at first, but it is "Future Proof." Smart Card Proximity will not read on standard readers. Keyscan offers these readers and cards with the systems. You can also get the standard prox, but I always quote with the IClass smartcards and readers.

Rory,

These install like a basic proximity reader pretty much. It depends what Biometric software you are going to run. The locks are just seriesed thru the access control system and power supply. When the access control system grants access it trips the relay and unlocks the door. Therefore, once the biometric reader gets a valid read, whether its a finger, eye, hand, face, etc. It grants access to the valid person and trips the relay.

Joe, I have actually used the back of my hand on a hand geometry reader and it has granted me access. I use to use it all the time for Time and Attendance. Unless the software or the reader has gotten better in the las 4 years, which I'm sure it has it shouldn't be a problem. 4 years ago I know I could do that. That was one of the reasons we replaced our Hand Geometry Reader with an Iris Scan Reader. I would much rather use the finger print reader. These are not as bulky either. Bioscrypt has a nice dual prox/fingerprint reader.

If you are going to use proximity, I would recommend using smartcard technology. The readers are cheaper than standard prox but the cards are more expensive. 128 bit encryption. The added bonus is if the person doesn't have to use the smart card portion at first, but it is "Future Proof." Smart Card Proximity will not read on standard readers. Keyscan offers these readers and cards with the systems. You can also get the standard prox, but I always quote with the IClass smartcards and readers.

I am going to try the hand trick today, I do not think it would work because we have the settings on our clock set high. My prox card comment was about the hand readers that reqire a card then your hand.

What Iris scan do you use?

I have used Iriscan the brand. I haven't tried anyothers. A4vision has the facial recognition readers.

I like the fingerprint units better. Usually a little cheaper and have been more reliable and a heck of a lot smaller. The hand scanners are just too big. The reason they don't use hand scanners for access control is they are eye sores. Would like to know who made the outdoor housing unit i have been looking for one for the biometric fingerprint units i use. No one seems to have any and the manufacturers keep saying there is no market for them.

http://www.bisonprofab.com is who I had build my encloser. If you can draw it they can build it out of whatever you want to any NEMA spec you want. I made mine out of aluminum but they also do stainless. You can also add heaters and blowers. The welds look perfect and it was a fraction of the cost for the RSI brand.

Agreed that fingerprint scanning provides much more advantages. With the better systems they have livescan so you cannot fool the system.

The fears that iris scanners are invasive or harmful, or even spread germs are all myths. I work for a major manufacturer of the iris scanners and the reality is that there is no harm at all. Some people think there are lasers that go into your eye. Totally not true. Also, you don't touch the equipment at all, not even with your forehead, so there is no contamination or germ spread. That's one of the advantages of it! It's completely safe. Now just to make people understand that!!