tmushy

Has anyone tried Windows 7 with Geovision

Windows 7 seems to be working fine. i'm still using the q6600 quad core. I think my issues were all memory related. It's been a couple of weeks and all is well.

8.3.2 software

This answers my question I had about W7 and geovision.

I have dual 2008 cards im using (we spec'd them out to a client a while ago and we HAVE to use them, i know they are discontinued). I'll be upgrading to W7 tomorrow since we need to support more then 2TB drives.

I run a quad-core but i don't use an i3/i7 chipset. Im using the Q5500 i think or something like that. Socket 775. I like to use those because they are less expensive and are still pretty powerfull.

i7 may be your problem since its a newer chipset and came to market after geovision had their cards in production. Im sure thats the issue. I think if you disable hyperthreading it fixes the issue i read somewhere though

Since my last post to this thread, ive used Windows 7 (various versions) in depth and thanks to Microsoft for the worst OS they have produced to date, IMO. I wont use for a regular Computer OS let alone for a security system. Hey, perhaps Windows 2010 will be better?

Reporting back with windows 7 since my last post a couple of months back.

For the most part all is well. I have seen one bug but I think it is Geo's fault. Every once in a while when I click on my megapixel IP camera it restarts the geovision software. No idea why.

Other than that, windows 7 has been wonderful and the best windows yet imo. I use it for internet gaming and store use. I have had zero issues with the 32 bit for my geo system and 64 bit for my gaming rig.

I have not attempted to login from a remote site yet since I need a sonic wall port opened first so I cant comment on that.

My earlier issues were 100% ram issues.

I don't wanna get into an OS battle with rory as i shared his opinions also before i made a full-blown switch to W7. I like it, but do miss windows XP.

I installed W7 with my GV-2008 card today worked like a charm. No issues at all.

I will still rely on Windwos XP for my dvr's, unless i have a client who uses a raid array, in which case windows 7.

I do feel that the system runs a bit faster, thats probably because W7 takes advantage of the quad core better then XP.

But like i said, its a preference with OS's i think. Im sure rory will love it sooner or later, but its still new and not everybody is in love with it.

It does take a little more effort to TWEEK w7 for a DVR as its got lots of EXTRAS not needed, but the fact is, it WILL work with geovision which is the big concern.

Im sure rory will love it sooner or later, but its still new and not everybody is in love with it.

Nope, never. I would goto Linux first. Fonts are awful, cleartype makes me blind and in many cases is difficult if not impossible to remove completely, MS has actually removed features that XP had, made it slower to access admin tools, it can use 700MB+- Memory stripped down and tweaked (eg. Compared to stripped down XP using 40mb, 80mb standard), Installs in 3 hours (30 minutes with XP), Boot times .. well never tested it but its long, Vista was longer though (XP, 10 seconds on stripped down system, 20 seconds on full System), and then dont even try it on a netbook, even the stripped down Starter Edition, oh good lord is that thing slow!!! Only pro is that it does feel a slight touch quicker then Vista ... just a tad though. They went backward with this OS, but they started going backward with Vista, must be some new developers they hired since XP. The MS logo should be .. it just keeps getting slower, and crappier .. thing is .. XP SP2 actually works great, the best thing MS made yet to date .. even the XP SP3 sucked

Dont get me started on Mac, thats like using Pocket PC from 10 years ago. I mean after using XP SP2, everything else is just ... not worthy. But seriously, Win7 and Mac are not far apart, other then Win7 being able to run EXE files and still having a registry, IMO they both equally suck. Ubuntu is free ... and that is the only OS that has actually impressed me "somewhat" since XP SP2.

Ofcourse this is all just my opinion, but I am sticking to it.

Unless all the hardware manufacturers stop making drivers for XP ... i'm sticking with THAT, for now.

This is not a flame at all. But why did it take 3 hours to install windows 7? I did it in either 13 or 19 minutes (can't remember which one anymore) on my system with my ssd's. Something was definately wrong if it took 3 hours.

It does take a tad longer on a "regular" platter type hard disk but since I didn't time it I can't give an exact timeframe. It couldn't have been more than 30 minutes though. I'd look into that. Something doesn't sound right.

But why did it take 3 hours to install windows 7? I did it in either 13 or 19 minutes (can't remember which one anymore) on my system with my ssd's. Something was definately wrong if it took 3 hours.

Agreed. I did a Windows 7 install yesterday. I did not time the Windows 7 part of the install, but was certainly less than 30 minutes. I installed Office Pro, Quickbooks, Adobe Reader, several browsers, configured email, downloaded and installed printer drivers, all within a couple hours. Something is way wrong if Windows 7 took three hours.

Best,

Christopher

This is not a flame at all. But why did it take 3 hours to install windows 7? I did it in either 13 or 19 minutes (can't remember which one anymore) on my system with my ssd's. Something was definately wrong if it took 3 hours.

It does take a tad longer on a "regular" platter type hard disk but since I didn't time it I can't give an exact timeframe. It couldn't have been more than 30 minutes though. I'd look into that. Something doesn't sound right.

13 or 19 minutes??

It was already installed then, or you were installing a drive image?

Full XP takes around 30-60 minutes on a fast system, and thats 1/5th the size of Windows 7 as far as the amount of files to copy. So unless your SSD is 1000mbs write and you have a 16Ghz 8 Core CPU with 24GB of DDR3 RAM .. i dont buy it. BTW I didnt time the entire install either, but it was definitely around 2 hours, hence the 3 hour install with drivers etc. It took about 1 hour+ just to copy files, and yes the hard drive is fine. Could the latptop DVD Drive be slower, sure, but it took XP only 30 minutes on the same computer. Could you have a smaller version of Windows 7 then i did, perhaps? Mine was a legit win7 DVD from Dell.

Regardless, it was someone elses Brand new dell, so im not going to bother looking into it again, as even without the much longer install time, the OS has too many other problems to warrant ever using it. Maybe I will check back in a couple years when they have ironed out all the issues, and made it as fast and user friendly as XP.

I installed Office Pro, Quickbooks, Adobe Reader, several browsers, configured email, downloaded and installed printer drivers, all within a couple hours.

That would only take me 10-20 minutes max. I think you guys really should time it next time, at least part of it ... because your times seem way off.

Dont you think it is feasable that it would take much longer to install than XP seeing as it is much much larger (3800 mb Win 7 compared to 640 mb XP), hence many many more files to extract and copy, and a much slower setup GUI with a heavier footprint? It does make sense that it could take 4 times as long. Ofcourse if you have a supercomputer then we should not even be talking about it, as most dont have that.

My "fast" install was an intel I7 and two 60gig Ocz vertex series ssd's in raid 0 with 6 gigs of ddr3 ram.

Absolute clean install (new drives) with windows ultimate.

Using a 74gig WD raptor (old style) install was less than 35 minutes using a q6600 and 4 gigs of ddr2.

This is not including drivers or updates. Just pop the disk in and go. That might be our discrepencie. However that did include formatting. I don't know why windows 7 formats in a few seconds.

I've done a half dozen window 7 installs. Honestly they ALWAYS go faster than XP. That's why I mentioned there might be an issue. I have talked to folks who said they have had it hang up during the install for a couple of hours and they started over. Not sure why. I'll look into it.

Well you are using what is known as Super computers, most people are not using components like that. Raptors, old or not, are much faster then the average hard drive. XP formats in a few seconds also BTW. If you are installing Windows 7 in 20 minutes, then XP should be doing it in 1-5 minutes, if not, then you might have a problem with XP.

I wish I had a PC like that though

This is not including drivers or updates. Just pop the disk in and go. That might be our discrepencie.

it is quite possible that Windows 7 was trying to do updates even without the network connected, causing a longer install, but then why take 1 hour just to copy files? As mentioned the Hard drive was fast enough, as the OS ran fine otherwise (and I am a speed freak). Ofcourse a slow DVD can make it take longer also, but then most newer computers have slow DVDs, and pretty much all the same specs this laptop had. So thats what I am basing it off. I wouldnt like to try install it on this P4 3.2Ghz computer I use!! XP takes about 30 minutes on this BTW.

That would only take me 10-20 minutes max. I think you guys really should time it next time, at least part of it ... because your times seem way off.

Yeah right. They didn't even have the Office Pro CD Key. I had to first install a key finder. How many print drivers did I have to install? Oh that's right, I didn't say. It all sounds so easy, but when someone says, there's my computer over there, here's all the software I use, please configure everything back the way it was with a new OS, ... oh sure, I can do that in 10 - 20 minutes max. When pigs fly.

But given that you are so fast, please go find the Windows 7 x64 print driver for the Canon D880 and post the link here. Do it in the next five minutes and include your address. I'll send you a $20 bill. I'll go get a stamp and an envelope and be right back.

Best,

Christopher

Yeah right. They didn't even have the Office Pro CD Key. I had to first install a key finder. How many print drivers did I have to install? Oh that's right, I didn't say. It all sounds so easy, but when someone says, there's my computer over there, here's all the software I use, please configure everything back the way it was with a new OS, ... oh sure, I can do that in 10 - 20 minutes max. When pigs fly.

But given that you are so fast, please go find the Windows 7 x64 print driver for the Canon D880 and post the link here. Do it in the next five minutes and include your address. I'll send you a $20 bill. I'll go get a stamp and an envelope and be right back.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks, but I wont even get out of bed for less then $100!

Oh wait, you were installing it for a client out on location, well you didnt say that either.

And using cracked Office is a big no no. Tell them buy the legit Office or stick with word pad.

And tell them it will never be the same, in fact it will be worse now they have Win7, not even any email client worth mentioning. Tell them be smart, and stick with XP. If all they want is a new flashy OS with cool things, then try Ubuntu, its free.

Dont worry .. i know clients rarely ever listen anyway!

And using cracked Office is a big no no. Tell them buy the legit Office or stick with word pad.

Oh good grief. It's a two year old Dell with OEM installed Office Pro. I know because I ordered the system for them. They could not locate the CD key that came with the system.

Anyone who has installed an operating system, Office Pro, Quickbooks, Adobe Reader, several browsers, configured email, downloaded and installed printer drivers, knows that the boast, "that would only take me 10-20 minutes max." is blowin' smoke.

Best,

Christopher

Oh good grief. It's a two year old Dell with OEM installed Office Pro. I know because I ordered the system for them. They could not locate the CD key that came with the system.

IMO Putting Windows 7 on that was not a good idea.

Anyone who has installed an operating system, Office Pro, Quickbooks, Adobe Reader, several browsers, configured email, downloaded and installed printer drivers, knows that the boast, "that would only take me 10-20 minutes max." is blowin' smoke.

Perhaps they are just slow when it comes to working with software?

Those programs do not take that long to install. Setting up the main component drivers, and tweaking the system, CAN take some more time, but not just installing apps. ofcourse if one is using a slow OS like Win Vista or Win 7 then sure it could take longer.

Perhaps they are just slow when it comes to working with software?

Those programs do not take that long to install. Setting up the main component drivers, and tweaking the system, CAN take some more time, but not just installing apps. ofcourse if one is using a slow OS like Win Vista or Win 7 then sure it could take longer.

Rory, you know we love you, but when you're in a hole, you need to stop digging. Consider just one application install, Quickbooks. Quickbooks requires the correct major and minor release number to access the company files. This means after the install from the CD, you have to find the minor release on the Intuit website, download it, and install it. You also have to activate the product. All of this takes time. It is absolutely impossible for you to install an OS and all these other apps I listed and configure email and find and download and install printer drivers and get everything working the way it was before the new OS install in 20 minutes max. It is impossible. Uncle?

Best,

Christopher

I wish I had a PC like that though

Yea it's my super gamer. I had twin Velociraptors in it and switched to the ssd's. If you ever want to see the absolute most noticeable gain in computer speed.....get ssd's.

Never tried to install xp on that system. Had Vista on it so I could benchmark with vantage. Windows 7 installed much faster than Vista. Can't remember if I had a network cable plugged in or not during that install. I've run it up as high as 4.58 Ghz on water and scored just over 40k on vantage. Problem is the 1000W power supply isn't enough to max everything out for drag racing. I can clock vid cards way up or clock the cpu way up but doing both will shut it down. One of these days i'll put a supplemental psu in it and give it a go.....just can't let the wife see it, lol.

You should build one Rory......it's fun

Rory, you know we love you, but when you're in a hole, you need to stop digging. Consider just one application install, Quickbooks. Quickbooks requires the correct major and minor release number to access the company files. This means after the install from the CD, you have to find the minor release on the Intuit website, download it, and install it. You also have to activate the product. All of this takes time. It is absolutely impossible for you to install an OS and all these other apps I listed and configure email and find and download and install printer drivers and get everything working the way it was before the new OS install in 20 minutes max. It is impossible. Uncle?

Best,

Christopher

I agree with one you mentioned, Quickbooks .. the rest though are quick and easy. Trust me, I do it every other day (I hardly ever install quickbooks though). But yes, Quickbooks is a bit longer. However, I know nothing of this patch you speak of, I just installed and activated it. I did not say install the OS in 20 minutes, I mentioned installing the APPS. not even component drivers. I have all the apps ready to install from USB hard drive, but thats me. As mentioned it will never work the way it was before with Win7. Ok yes .. time to move on.

Yea it's my super gamer. I had twin Velociraptors in it and switched to the ssd's. If you ever want to see the absolute most noticeable gain in computer speed.....get ssd's.

Never tried to install xp on that system. Had Vista on it so I could benchmark with vantage. Windows 7 installed much faster than Vista. Can't remember if I had a network cable plugged in or not during that install. I've run it up as high as 4.58 Ghz on water and scored just over 40k on vantage. Problem is the 1000W power supply isn't enough to max everything out for drag racing. I can clock vid cards way up or clock the cpu way up but doing both will shut it down. One of these days i'll put a supplemental psu in it and give it a go.....just can't let the wife see it, lol.

You should build one Rory......it's fun

Sounds too expensive for me

We pay duty on computer parts now, then plus shipping .. one day though

I agree as I was looking at the new SSDs and their speed specs are amazing. I have used raptors before and they are fast but noisy and still dont come close to those faster SSDs.

Ill throw in another 'me too' on the Vertex SSD. I have it in an I7 920 system. I would agree that with Windows 7 & a fresh install of popping the DVD into the PC & having it load without searching for drivers, is roughly 15 - 20 minutes. Depending on the age of your hardware, you might not even need it to look for drivers.

The problem is all the nice new hardware such as a SSD (which I wont ever build myself a system without one again) works with XP but its much more work to do so.

Though with all this said, I am trying 8.3.3 to see how it works with Win7 64 (once my son goes to bed) as 8.3.2 doesnt work so well for me.

The point is to please try a SSD, they are amazing.

Ill throw in another 'me too' on the Vertex SSD. I have it in an I7 920 system. I would agree that with Windows 7 & a fresh install of popping the DVD into the PC & having it load without searching for drivers, is roughly 15 - 20 minutes. Depending on the age of your hardware, you might not even need it to look for drivers.

The problem is all the nice new hardware such as a SSD (which I wont ever build myself a system without one again) works with XP but its much more work to do so.

Though with all this said, I am trying 8.3.3 to see how it works with Win7 64 (once my son goes to bed) as 8.3.2 doesnt work so well for me.

The point is to please try a SSD, they are amazing.

I have an SSD in my XP laptop, have had it for a couple years now, its the very first netbook. What problems did you have with XP and your SSD?

The thing is, you have to get the best ones, or most expensive ones, to get the speed, most people just cannot afford that. Less expensive ones are still just as slow or slower then HDDs. XP is working great with even my slow 20 mbs SSD by the way, 8 second boot time

That said, I would love to get one, but i would rather a new ride first .. anyone??

Oh yeah, thing is you guys keep speaking of i7 systems, most consumer based computers coming with windows 7 these days dont have any hardware close to that, we are talking atoms and cellerons and on the low end of the pentium dual core with 1GB of ram, some with 3GB - the systems just arent ready for Windows 7 IMO, or it is not ready for them. And that is new computers, Ive worked on at least 10 computers in the past week and all of them have been less then a P4 2.8 Ghz, several were 2.12 Ghz P4 and some were celerons. I guess maybe it is the economy or the area, but many people are just not upgrading their computers these days, they want the existing ones fixed, which with XP it is fine. Heck, tonight I am wiping a brand new Atom Eee PC that came with Win 7 and loading XP on it, so that it will be blazing fast and easy to use

Anyway .. thats just my 10 cents

Quick question, how are you guys imaging the Win 7 DVRs?

I just imaged a Win7 Starter Edition drive and its 9.5GB, compared to XP's average 1-1.5GB!!

Looks like we need blue ray for that? (unless I am missing something?)

I'm running windows7 32 bit with the q6600 and 4 gigs of ram and it runs fine. No big lags or other issues. I have an employee running the 64 bit version with only 2 gigs of ram on an E6600 and he's come to the conclusion he needs more ram. I have not tried it on anything with smaller horsepower and I don't think it would take a lot of convincing to stay with XP on the P4's etc.

Xp still works just fine imo. If you want the latest bells and whistles or want direct X 10,11 gaming you pretty much have to migrate to windows 7. But for a security system, office stuff etc, I think XP still works great.

Of course as time goes on, too many things will pass it by and it will force the issue. But that's the way it always goes.

I have not imaged my drives yet......keep meaning to. One of these days. Probably right after a hard drive goes bad and I have to reload everything....yet again, lol