hgiljr

IP Cameras, which brand or setup

Hello everyone. I have been shopping for my home survelliance setup for some time and was mainly focusing on a STandalone DVR and several IR cameras. I was able to borrow from work an IPX-DDX-1500 model camera and tested it last night. The image was great even at night. My main goal is during the holidays and my decorations which were vandalized twice last year and cannot afford it this year. So night vision is a must. So Now I am not sure if to go with an IP based camera setup or with the Stand alone DVR with IR cameras? What would you recommend me using? The good thing is that I do have a spare desktop and several external hard drives for storage. If I should go with an IP, what should I look out for in regards to hardware, models, etc...? The one biggest advantage i see with the IR cameras is that they are smaller then IP cameras with the outdoor housing, but it looks like IP has the better resolution. So any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, it depends. How much you want to spend really. If cost was not a consideration, I would go megapixel IP. Holiday decorations are typically a source of light by themselves so the need for IR doesn't seem to fit. (correct me if i'm wrong please) If you go megapixel, you'll have something (ID shot) to give to the police with nice, clear images. You may get a decent result with IR cameras, but are you trying to be covert for any reason? If not, why use a light source that -isn't- a deterent? I like to think it's better to not get vandalized than to have video of vandalization.

Actually the vandals come after the decorations are turned off. They usually strike after midnight, early morning hours. I do have two 500 watt spot lights up front and a third one to be added this year, plus the street light right in front of my home. Cost is a consideration and from looking at this particular camera price, a setup can get very costly...

Based on your actual situation, you should choose a dvr + analog cameras, get the same image, dvr lower cost .

If you want good and cheap - IQvision +Luxriot NVR software.

If you want VERY good and more expensive - Avigilon cameras +Avigilon software.

Actually the DDK 1500 is a great inexpensive camera with and IR cut filter for god nightitme performance with minimal illumination. Also one of the features of the camera is a built-in SD card slot so you could record images on-board of the camera. The camera also comes with free- bundled software so if already have an exixting PC with a decent amount of storage your solution is right there. Where are you located?

Axis cameras like 225FD vandal-proof is very good camera for outdoor surveillance....

You can use NetAvis Observer III (free use) very easy to install and you are accessing via Windows client to manage cameras.

Only thing you should pay is camera + camera licence for each camera...