bodeekwa

Looking for my first DVR

I am looking for an internet accessible (remote access), 4 channel DVR that has at least one audio output, minimum 80 GB HD, removeable if possible, 30fps (maybe 60fps), motion activated, alarm out put, high resolution 480 line or more, MPEG ability, custom motion setting for each camera, searchable by date & time.

So far from what I have seen, I like the Teklink CR04N for $625.00 from cu1.com. This one has an audio output too.

I also like the Everfocus EDSR400F from cctvproducts.com for $782.00 but I am not sure if this one has an audio output.

I also like the MACE DVR 400 NR from ?????? for $717.98.

My price range is 600.00 - 800.00 but I am not sure of these brands or if there are other brands out there that have these features. Any suggestions.

All three of those are honestly crap. Expecially the CU1, which is a COP-USA DVR.

I am looking for an internet accessible (remote access), 4 channel DVR that has at least one audio output, minimum 80 GB HD, removeable if possible, 30fps (maybe 60fps), motion activated, alarm out put, high resolution 480 line or more, MPEG ability, custom motion setting for each camera, searchable by date & time.

So far from what I have seen, I like the Teklink CR04N for $625.00 from cu1.com. This one has an audio output too.

I also like the Everfocus EDSR400F from cctvproducts.com for $782.00 but I am not sure if this one has an audio output.

I also like the MACE DVR 400 NR from ?????? for $717.98.

My price range is 600.00 - 800.00 but I am not sure of these brands or if there are other brands out there that have these features. Any suggestions.

Are there better quality ones in this price range or are these crap because of the costs. Thanks for the info becasue there is no way that a novice to DVRs can tell which ones are crap. But that Teklink really sounded good on paper.

All three of those are honestly crap. Expecially the CU1, which is a COP-USA DVR.

This one looks great on paper, G4-4000DVR Triplex, and it has 4 audio channels, but it is about 200.00 beyond my price range, $979.00 w/ 80GB HD. I am asking for too much for 800.00?

Actually, yeah you are, 800 dollars is only going to get you a no name DVR, and that triplex is OEM'D by speco, i've tried it, and returned it, the remote image is GARBAGE!!!!

You should be looking at PC based DVR at that price range if you want something good.

I was in the same situation as you and went nuts on this forum trying to get a clear idea of which DVRs are "quality" and which are "crap." To add to the confusion, many of the same lower-cost DVRs you see on the web are sold under dozens of different brand names.

My original DVR budget was $1000 or less for a 16-channel DVR. After using the members here as a sounding board, I realized that this budget was not very realistic; so I doubled it and selected a Kodicom unit. I don't have any experience with the lower-cost units I was looking at, but couldn't be happier with the Kodicom.

I plan to write up a full review of this unit soon. There are some features that are lacking and others that could have been designed better, but the unit is rock-solid and produces high quality video.

My main point is this: After learning about most of the features of my DVR, I came to appreciate why these things are so expensive. If you consider what you pay for a run-of-the-mill computer, then add the massive storage and video features, you will realize that most of the multi-channel DVRs are really quite cheap.

If I were to distill all of what I gathered from this forum so far, I'd budget at least $1000 for a four-channel unit and focus on the more "recognizable" brands.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Guest

"internet accessible (remote access), 4 channel DVR that has at least one audio output, minimum 80 GB HD, removeable if possible, 30fps (maybe 60fps), motion activated, alarm out put, high resolution 480 line or more, MPEG ability, custom motion setting for each camera, searchable by date & time. "

I have a 16 channel that can do that, but no low end 4 channels. The 16 channel is actually in your price range. It is still a very basic DVR, but it does all that you specified. Doest crash either, i have a demo on my home page. If you need more info, click on the demo link on my home page, and email me from the link here.

Only difference is it is Wavelet.

Rory

Thanks herminshs, kaysadeya, and rory. This forum really helped in understanding that $600.00 is not going to cut it, for a realy good 4 channel. Maybe not even $800.00, but I will check out your web site Rory, and if anyone else has any product ideas for my first DVR please post. I will not be getting any of the three that I originally listed. You are right, alot of them dont have brand names.

Also I did not want to get a PC based DVR. I read alot on PC v. Stand alone, and that debate to complicates me the consumer even more, but I think if I recall, the stand alones are less vulnerable to computer viruses, etc, and more more powerfull.

for a very good fully featured stand alone, I have used the GE Kalatel StoreSafe past 3+ years, fully featured. Not cheap though, but great DVR. Good thing about the Kalatel DVR, is if you decide to add a bunch more locations, and want to monitor them all, the network software works for up to 16 DVR sites, 4, 16, 32, and 64 camera views, selectable and customized.

Basically the PRO of a stand alone RTOS DVR, is its just plug and play, I have them sitting in closets a nd never had to go back to them, they just work, and are still online after a few years These are the GE Kalatel DVRs though.

Ofcourse the average home user wont need any more than the 4 channel you see on my web site.

Rory

Also I did not want to get a PC based DVR. I read alot on PC v. Stand alone, and that debate to complicates me the consumer even more, but I think if I recall, the stand alones are less vulnerable to computer viruses, etc, and more more powerfull.

Well, you haven't seen the I-view series of PC DVR cards, as long as you have a firewall, and a Antiviruz, you are going to have no problems.

Hi,

The everfocus units my company evaluated for selling, we found that the remote access software was VERY buggy.

bodeekwa, from what I can gather in this forum, the PC-base solution is fine. However, based on my research, it only makes ecomonic sense if you already have a newer model PC to configure as a dedicated DVR. The numbers just don't add up if you need to invest in a new PC. Even then, for a GeoVision setup, the price of the video capture and realtime display cards alone will run pretty close to the price of a dedicated DVR.