Uh... is there not a version of the Arecont software that will run on Win2K? I went to add an AV5100 to a Win2K-based Vigil today and the software install says it only supports XP or W2K3 Server. Now how stupid is that??

Uh... is there not a version of the Arecont software that will run on Win2K? I went to add an AV5100 to a Win2K-based Vigil today and the software install says it only supports XP or W2K3 Server. Now how stupid is that??

Stupid, no... Microsoft officially dropped the support for Win2000 for few years now... Unofficially they still provide some critical updates... I have few servers and workstations that still operate with Win2000 and without any problems.

Arecont figured why bother with OS platform that will fall off the cliff in a year or two time and restricted resources for support of the software. Instead, why not focus on XP or higher OS from Microsoft...

Uhh... how about because there are still perfectly stable systems running Win2K out in the field... like the one I tried to install on today? There's nothing wrong with it as-is, so why would I change it to XP just to be able to use their cameras?

Or maybe because the competition bothers? IQeye's "IQfinder" utility will not only install on Win2K, but I can copy the install folder from my workstation to my flash drive and simply run it standalone (handy if one doesn't have install permissions).

Oh well, I'll keep this in mind the next time we're spec'ing cameras... it may be for XP systems in the future, but it's the principle that counts.

BTW, looking on Arecont's website, I don't see anything in a Linux or OSX version either...

If your not using AV100 for the NVR solution why not just run it on your laptop to setup the cameras? I always uninstall it anyways when I am done so we don't have any issues.

Uhh... how about because there are still perfectly stable systems running Win2K out in the field... like the one I tried to install on today? There's nothing wrong with it as-is, so why would I change it to XP just to be able to use their cameras?

Or maybe because the competition bothers? IQeye's "IQfinder" utility will not only install on Win2K, but I can copy the install folder from my workstation to my flash drive and simply run it standalone (handy if one doesn't have install permissions).

Oh well, I'll keep this in mind the next time we're spec'ing cameras... it may be for XP systems in the future, but it's the principle that counts.

BTW, looking on Arecont's website, I don't see anything in a Linux or OSX version either...

Agreed...

I did end up using my laptop, which fortunately I had with me (wouldn't normally have had it yesterday, but I'd left it in the van the night before). And that's still beside the point.

Oh yeah... rebooted my desktop machine last night for a Windows update... came in this morning to find some kind of Arecont NVR software running... uh, wut? I don't recall giving anything permission to load at startup.

Becoming more and more annoyed at these people...

I did end up using my laptop, which fortunately I had with me (wouldn't normally have had it yesterday, but I'd left it in the van the night before). And that's still beside the point.

Oh yeah... rebooted my desktop machine last night for a Windows update... came in this morning to find some kind of Arecont NVR software running... uh, wut? I don't recall giving anything permission to load at startup.

Becoming more and more annoyed at these people...

AV100 is configured by default to run at start up. Start AV100, goto advanced, uncheck auto-startup. I recommend you use your laptop or remove the software (if your not using it for your NVR solution) when your done with the setup. One thing with Arecont camera is they only like one stream and the AV100 will override any other connection.

If you plain on installing Arecont camera I recommend you attend there training. Once you learn how everything works it is very easy.

AV100 is configured by default to run at start up. Start AV100, goto advanced, uncheck auto-startup.

Ridiculous. I should be given the option *during installation* to have that happen or not, or for that matter, the choice of which components I want to install. The only option I'm given is the install path.

I'm using these cameras with existing hybrid DVRs. ALL I need is the configuration utility to assign the cameras an IP. I don't need their NVR, I don't need a local database of the cameras.

I recommend you use your laptop or remove the software (if your not using it for your NVR solution) when your done with the setup.

And what about the next tech to come along, that doesn't have a laptop or the Arecont software and needs to reconfigure the camera?

One thing with Arecont camera is they only like one stream and the AV100 will override any other connection.

Oh... great. So if I DON'T uninstall the thing or reconfigure the DEFAULT options, it's going to frak up my NVR operation??

If you plain on installing Arecont camera I recommend you attend there training. Once you learn how everything works it is very easy.

Actually, I'm leaning more and more to simply NOT installing Arecont and sticking with IQEye... so far I haven't seen anything "special" about the ones I've set up. Their web-based configuration and features appear to be

FAR more limited than IQ's as well.

Ridiculous. I should be given the option *during installation* to have that happen or not, or for that matter, the choice of which components I want to install. The only option I'm given is the install path.

I'm using these cameras with existing hybrid DVRs. ALL I need is the configuration utility to assign the cameras an IP. I don't need their NVR, I don't need a local database of the cameras.

Perhaps but it's pretty simple to do it in the program or msconfig.

And what about the next tech to come along, that doesn't have a laptop or the Arecont software and needs to reconfigure the camera?

Uninstall the software but save the installation file on the laptop.

Oh... great. So if I DON'T uninstall the thing or reconfigure the DEFAULT options, it's going to frak up my NVR operation??

Read manuals or try it at your shop. Don't let the first time you touch it be in the field.

Actually, I'm leaning more and more to simply NOT installing Arecont and sticking with IQEye... so far I haven't seen anything "special" about the ones I've set up. Their web-based configuration and features appear to be

FAR more limited than IQ's as well.

Sure IQEye definitely has a more detailed web interface but Arecont went for simple. I like them - I figured out early how their software is and learned from it.

I'm sorry, but foisting your own NVR software on my machine when all I need to do is configure the camera for another system, is arrogant and unnecessary. I shouldn't need to read the manuals to find out that I need to disable that, it SHOULDN'T HAPPEN in the first place. I guess it's my bad for expecting more PROFESSIONAL operation from this outfit.

I'm sorry, but foisting your own NVR software on my machine when all I need to do is configure the camera for another system, is arrogant and unnecessary. I shouldn't need to read the manuals to find out that I need to disable that, it SHOULDN'T HAPPEN in the first place. I guess it's my bad for expecting more PROFESSIONAL operation from this outfit.

I feel your pain with the NVR software but it's free marketing for them. Doesn't drop their professional image in my mind. My opinion is if you around any industry and see something you don't agree with you're argument shouldn't be i shouldn't have to.....it's going to wear you down.

I feel your pain with the NVR software but it's free marketing for them. Doesn't drop their professional image in my mind. My opinion is if you around any industry and see something you don't agree with you're argument shouldn't be i shouldn't have to.....it's going to wear you down.

No, my argument is, I SHOULD have the option to NOT install portions of the software that I don't need or want.

Imagine you hire me to install some cameras for you... so I come in, hook them up, and then remove your DVR and install mine instead, without your permission, without even informing you in advance that I'll be doing it. Is that the "professional" way to act? Are you going to thank me for it? Or are you going to turn around and tell people not to hire my company?

It's not free marketing - it's telling the customer, "We want you to use OUR stuff and we don't care about how it affects you." And like I said, it's got me advising AGAINST Arecont cameras until they AT LEAST add the ability for ME to select which of their programs *I* need.

It's not going to wear me down at all, if I refuse to purchase their products.

I understand your stance on this I just as a developer choose to disagree. If I were you and you enjoyed their products I'd write an email, otherwise IQEye it is.

Arecont doesn't want you to use there NVR software. But it is a valuable tool to set the cameras up and trouble shoot them. Install the software then uninstall it when your done. Once you assign the IP addresses and focus the cameras you don't need it anymore.

Personally I think it makes it a lot easier to setup multiple cameras when you can use one interface and you don't have to log into every web interface.

Arecont doesn't want you to use there NVR software. But it is a valuable tool to set the cameras up and trouble shoot them. Install the software then uninstall it when your done. Once you assign the IP addresses and focus the cameras you don't need it anymore.

Personally I think it makes it a lot easier to setup multiple cameras when you can use one interface and you don't have to log into every web interface.

Arecont has Stand Alone Installer for their cameras

I understand your stance on this I just as a developer choose to disagree.

So you prefer to force users to install unneeded software? You're saying if I install software you provide for a specific purpose, whether through choice or necessity, that I can expect other software to be installed without my approval, and set to run automatically on my computer without my permission?

To some people, that's the description of a virus...

Of course, you DO have the option to use a different camera if the Arecont software gives you fits!

Didn't I already say that? I also have the option to recommend others avoid these cameras, as their bundled software will install and launch additional programs without their permission.

Arecont doesn't want you to use there NVR software.

Then why do they force it to install along with the configuration tool?

But it is a valuable tool to set the cameras up and trouble shoot them. Install the software then uninstall it when your done. Once you assign the IP addresses and focus the cameras you don't need it anymore.

And the next tech that comes along?

Install -uninstall - reinstall - uninstall gets a little silly, and again, it shouldn't be necessary with a PROFESSIONAL product. Give me the OPTION of which tools I want or need to use.

The problem with this is that if for some reason, I don't have the chance to uninstall the NVR, it's going to start up automatically and create problems with my CHOSEN DVR/NVR. Furthermore, some DVRs (including Vigil) are now being built on stripped-down embedded XP systems loaded on a small flash drive, that leaves little room for additional software. If I need to install JUST the configuration tool, it's likely going to fail because the drive doesn't have the room for the complete suite of unneeded applications - once again, the installer should allow ME to select the tools that *I* need, not what Arecont thinks they want to force on me.

You may prefer the NVR interface for configuration... I find IQ's perfectly usable, and it allows me the ability to adjust camera settings from anywhere in the world that I have a browser... even my smartphone.

So I gather from this that Arecont does not have a web configurator useable within only a browser? Good to know info...

So I gather from this that Arecont does not have a web configurator useable within only a browser? Good to know info...

Arecont has built in web server in every camera

and yes u can adjust parameter's of the camera

p.s. They do have stand alone IP finder utility

Thanks for clearing that up ak... But I must say that now I don't understand any of the dilema here, I must not be experienced enough to understand it. I was under the impression that all the features and functions could be configured with the cameras onboard web server configurator and ip finder utility..

Help me understand why the need to utilize any other tools or applications if one is not going to use them systemwide 24/7? What am I missing? Insn't it as simple as logging in to the web server, installing Areconts Active-X controls and setup the camera....done?

Arecont has Stand Alone Installer for their cameras

Do you have a link to this becuase I have jump drive from Arecont that has all of there software on it.

You have the AV Application Manager which you install. Then you open Camera Installer to assign the IP address and use the Video System to focus the cameras and setup the custom exposure windows. Everything else you can do from the web interface.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for clearing that up ak... But I must say that now I don't understand any of the dilema here, I must not be experienced enough to understand it. I was under the impression that all the features and functions could be configured with the cameras onboard web server configurator and ip finder utility..

Help me understand why the need to utilize any other tools or applications if one is not going to use them systemwide 24/7? What am I missing? Insn't it as simple as logging in to the web server, installing Areconts Active-X controls and setup the camera....done?

To log in to web server u have to find IP

to find IP U install AV100 which will create some problem later as Sondy was talking about

The main problem that Arecont dont advertise Stand Alone Tool that they have

any ???

You can use the web interface to setup most of the settings but you can do it alot faster using the Camera Installer if you have many cameras. Instead if remembering 20 ip addresses and typing them into IE why not set everything up from one location.

I have installed many different manuratures cameras and once you know how to install Areconts it is very easy.

This just goes to show you can't make everyone happy. If they had different installers people would complain about that.

Also the software can't record anything without a license so it will not interfere with you NVR software. The only issue is multiple streams so if you open the web interface and while you have your NVR software running your frame rates will drop.

This is true. It's simply far more limited than IQ's.

Thanks for that, Alex... problem is, it's not something that's readily available. The software the cameras comes with installs ONLY the complete NVR suite, with no options to do only a partial install. The download from their website is the same package as on the shipping CD.