Hello all,

I have a ARM bullet style day/night camera mounted on the corner of my house near a light. I ran the cable along the gutter and doun into the basement and up thru the floor to the dvr-total length 75 to 90 feet.

When I look at the camera screen on my TV, all I see is a black screen, I have hooked up the camera to the DVR directly and it works, I have re-ran the cable 3 times to the location-1 time using a different route-none of which works. I'm using rg59 with 18/2. I ran a pre-made cable-1 you would get with a q-see system, along the side of the house and laying on the ground and the camera works. I have tested all 3 cables I ran and all test good, I have a 12vdc 800ma power supply for power, I am reading 12.8 volts at the camera, polarity is right. I have continuity on my coax and very little resistance, I even fed 12vd thru the coax(with out the camera connected to it) and was able to read the voltage. I'm not sure what else to do? Any ideas as to to what could be causing this?

First, double check your firewall and make sure it's not blocking the video stream port for the DVR. Any easy way to fix this (if you use Windows Firewall) is to use an exception. Create a custom setting for the port in the exception list and that can fix this issue.

Another thing to check is to make sure that your Video Card Drivers are installed correctly. Because video streams use DirectX, it's important to use updated drivers and compatible video cards. To check this, click Start-> Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties, click on the Hardware Tab and then click Device Manager. In here click the Plus + sign next to Display Adapters. If this says "Standard Driver Display Adapter" then that can be causing you problems also. Try finding the Drivers of the Brand and Model of the Video Card.

Make sure to update DirectX. If you do not have DirectX 9.0c installed, try upgrading to that and it will install the updated ActiveX controls and can also fix this issue.

Have a try, hope it helps!

I would take a TV that has the yellow video input, and I would put it up on a ladder. Connect the camera to the TV.

A No video. Power problem, or camera problem

If you have video then power is good, and the camera is good, and this means:

B Video Cable issue.

It might be the Bnc to RCA adapter that comes with premade cables.

Try changing this out.

Also bend the cable end left, and righ, or up, and down.

See if the video "pops" in, and out.

What do you think?

From what I read, the 18/2 coax cable seems to be the issue if the pre-made cable works good. Just because it test good, doesn't always result in a working component when integrated. The length of the cable run 75-90 ft shouldn't pose this issue. Are you using the power supply that came with the camera?

Let us know what you find.

thanks for the replies.

I have used 1 pre-made cable, and run 3 different cables of my own from 3 different boxes of cable. I have also re-terminated the cable multiple times. i'm thinking its a power issue-but have never seen this problem on a short run like this. I have ordered a 1 amp dc power supply to see if that makes a difference.