yytradeinc

how to choose IR Illuminators for Night vision camera- 1

IR Illuminators or Infrared illuminators used in CCTV and Video Surveillance systems consist of two types;

LED Infrared Illuminators and Halogen Bulb IR Illuminators. IR illuminator can greatly improve the effective

night vision of an IR sensitive security camera and the overall performance of CCTV video surveillance systems

in low light applications. Weather halogen bulb or LED Infrared Illuminators are chosen the key to selecting

the correct IR illuminator is based on three major factors.

1. The IR Illuminators overall Distance capabilities

2. The spread of the Infrared illuminator beam

3. The Wavelength in which the IR illuminator produces light as to it being slightly visible to completely invisible to the human eye.

10. Durability (will it rust, is it vandal proof etc)

11. Weight

12. Mounting options

13. Support

14. Warranty

15. Replacement bulb price (if bulb type)

16. Heat output

17 ... bound to be some more...

Most important - life expectancy of the IR's

Yep. I purchased a couple of them on Ebay:

Tubular-1.jpg

They lasted six months... note the burnt-out IR array element (the leftmost one is still good)

burnt-1.jpg

NOOOOO, I purchased one of these off of EBAY too, I have not mounted it yet though. Is this what I have to look forward too? That damn thing was expensive.

I'm still using a couple of them, but based on my experience thus far, I don't expect them to last. I think they simply get too hot (there is heat sink compound behind those little "star" IR elements)

109652_1.jpg

And here is the little piece that actually generates the IR:

109652_2.jpg

I actually like the way these things work, and they throw out such nice, even light. I just wish I had more faith in their longevity. Ah well... at 50 bucks, what can you realistically expect?

Hmm, minds a little different. Instead of the four IR leds like yours, mine has a whole array of them. Maybe thats why it cost more? (75)

109654_1.jpg

109654_2.jpg

hmmmm .. the Extreme EX82 cameras draw 1-2amps. But thats the camera as well as the IR.