wozzzzza

where is your cctv DVR mounted??

im trying to work out a plce to mount my DVR for my cctv system and want to know where you all have mounted yours to give me some ideas.

i have thought about int he roof space but it might get too hot up there.

i want it ot be in a hard to get to place so if anyone breaks into my house they cant find it very easily so i can see who they are when i get home.

For good effect, you can install the DVR inside the ceiling. My friend has down that before, sounds good!

My home one is on a shelf in my rack... but on sites, I've done just about every type of mounting imaginable - in ceilings, in lock boxes, on shelves, under desks, in utility rooms, in cabinets... wall-mounted, rack-mounted, bolted to a shelf to prevent tampering and removal... just about anywhere or any how you could think of placing or mounting a DVR, I've probably done it.

Why do you want to "hide" the DVR?

Can you put remote software on to another computer, and have it remote record the video? If the DVR gets "stolen" then you have a copy of the videos.

This would be dependent on what type of DVR you have.

The first thing you need for hiding the DVR is one that has a remote control.

Use this type of a system:

http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infrared/DLPCRTIrKits/49010DKIT/

The emitter goes over the area that receives the signal from the remote control. You point the remote at the "eye", and it sends the signal to the DVR, and the emitter blinks the codes from the remote control. (Note: This is what is used in hometheaters to remote equipment to a closet).

Now you can use the remote control to select camera views, and to see past history ect.

I woud look for dead space in the walls. This is hard to do on "simple trac houses", but may be easier with custom large homes. I would look for where there is an A/C closet next to a regular closet. There may be some dead space somewhere in this area.

One thing to note. You are going to have to run power to the hiding area. Are you an electrician? Do you have a friend who is an electrician?

The other question is about running A/C to the DVR. You do not want the DVR to be in a place that goes above 75 degrees. Any temp above this will put nails in to the coffin, and the DVR will die prematurely.

Another option is to hide the DVR under a large desk, or inside a kitchen cabinet, or some other place, and then have a VCR, and a multiplexor in plain site, (or another DVR).

Hopefully the crook will steal this instead of continuing to look for a second DVR. This is a good "magician's trick".

The other question is "what if your "threat" is from the inside? If you are "rich" then you may have an internal threat, and what if this person knows where you hide the DVR?

Security is based on layers of protection.

Why not place a live tracking GPS inside of the DVR, and when it gets stolen you just go to a computer, and there is your map with the blue dot where the DVR is located, and contact the police?

What do you think?

I am sorry but that is like asking me where I have the spare key to my house.

I found it under your front door mat!!

Dang! Now I have to find a new spot!

Unless its off site then it really doesnt matter, they can just cut the power and wait 15 minutes until the UPS dies.

Its not like the old days when they would just grab the tape and run, now adays they do more disabling, like paint gun to the camera, cut cable, etc.

Edited by Guest

Unless its off site then it really doesnt matter, they can just cut the power and wait 15 minutes until the UPS dies.

Heh... between on-site backup generator and large rack-mount UPS (>15min of run time), they're going to be waiting quite a while.

Heh... between on-site backup generator and large rack-mount UPS (>15min of run time), they're going to be waiting quite a while.

They can kill the generator also

also they could just send a brownout down the line and blow all the electronics ..

the point is, if they can get inside to the DVR they can disable other things as well.

This is why i'm running a home security system with cellular backup and cctv .

Yeah but then they can jam the cell and cut the phones.

nothing is 100% .. for one thing I cant live without bars on my door and windows. That to me is more important than anything else.

Cellular is the backup to pots line.Either way i have comm failure protection.If either goes out,it automatically sends that failure code, which prompts the contact from central.Trust you me,you don't get away with nothing in Willingboro..That's one thing i can say.The police force is on the money!!!

Cellular is the backup to pots line.Either way i have comm failure protection.If either goes out,it automatically sends that failure code, which prompts the contact from central.Trust you me,you don't get away with nothing in Willingboro..That's one thing i can say.The police force is on the money!!!

Is your NID inside you house? Really that's the most important if not it is very easy to take out. Your cell will only fall on a comm failure but that will not happen until it tries to communicate. Turning on the cell jammer will not cause a comm failure. Turn on cell jammer, cut phone lines, leave cell jammer on...... the only thing that will happen is the bells will go off if it is programed to do so.

Edited by Guest

when both communications are disabled, there is no way for the signal to go through. Here the CMS uses RF as the primary. That also can be disabled.

Yep comms are all inside along with phone line cut monitor.I know how it's supposed to work.Lord willing i never have to find out..Gotta get thru the protected zones to find the comms..

Is your NID inside you house? Really that's the most important if not it is very easy to take out. Your cell will only fall on a comm failure but that will not happen until it tries to communicate. Turning on the cell jammer will not cause a comm failure. Turn on cell jammer, cut phone lines, leave cell jammer on...... the only thing that will happen is the bells will go off if it is programed to do so.

then paint gun all the cameras and ... take out the main power source, generator, and throw in some higher voltage on the siren wire, man look where we going with this LOL. time to get a moat for my castle also.

then paint gun all the cameras and ... take out the main power source, generator, and throw in some higher voltage on the siren wire, man look where we going with this LOL. time to get a moat for my castle also.

Gators

Gators

Heh... if you could catch the "death roll" on some underwater cameras, it would be a YouTube sensation!