wozzzzza

would this roof ventilator work??

im thinking of putting 2 sets of twin 12v 80mm computer fans in the top of my roof to help get rid of all the hot air that builds up over summer and suck in cooler air.

i will stick one pair down one end of the house and the other at the other. i will have them sitting in low profile chimney type roof vent that has one of those cones over the top to stop water getting in.

what you think of this idea? would it work?

im thinking of putting 2 sets of twin 12v 80mm computer fans in the top of my roof to help get rid of all the hot air that builds up over summer and suck in cooler air.

i will stick one pair down one end of the house and the other at the other. i will have them sitting in low profile chimney type roof vent that has one of those cones over the top to stop water getting in.

what you think of this idea? would it work?

wozzzzza,

Soffit and ridge vents as per the code where you at. Ask the building inspector. Questions are free. That's why you pay taxes.

Look at this - Solar-Powered Exhaust Vent

SolarExhaustVent.jpg

Go here to learn about ventilation

http://www.solutionsforair.com/dayton_content/pdfs/VentilationFundamentals.pdf

To calculate the CFM required to adequately ventilate an area, divide the room volume by the appropriate “Minutes per Changeâ€

LOL. Sorry no 80mm computer fan will do anything for you in that regard.

I have to ask was this thread a joke?? I dont see how you could even think that would do anything, I mean at least say a 120mm, and even that would be useless. You would almost get as much air by just not having a fan.

Tip. Push the air out, that will be better. If you can, push some in as well, but the most important thing is to push the hot air out. At least in hot climates like here, and with PC cooling.

Already mentioned are fans dedicated for this from local hardware stores. They are MUCH larger than an 80mm computer fan, but they are also inexpensive. I wouldn't put anything on the actual roof though, expect water leaks. Put it on the sides or under the attic eave if anything.

LOL. Sorry no 80mm computer fan will do anything for you in that regard.

I have to ask was this thread a joke?? I dont see how you could even think that would do anything, I mean at least say a 120mm, and even that would be useless. You would almost get as much air by just not having a fan.

Correct I agree.

Tip. Push the air out, that will be better. If you can, push some in as well, but the most important thing is to push the hot air out. At least in hot climates like here, and with PC cooling.

Correct but but I would say pull the air out. That's why we call it exhaust fan.

Already mentioned are fans dedicated for this from local hardware stores. They are MUCH larger than an 80mm computer fan, but they are also inexpensive. I wouldn't put anything on the actual roof though, expect water leaks. Put it on the sides or under the attic eave if anything.

Exhaust fans installed properly on a roof don't leak. Best to suck cold air in at bottom and blow hot air out at top.

I have been told that I am "Full of hot air"

i had got my idea from here

http://www.envirofan.net.au/quad_fans.htm

seemed like a good idea at the time, but that solar roof ventilator above doesnt seem to pump any more air out does it?? only would have a small fan in it??

That might work for a Doll house but not yours. I have put those vents in numerous times. Just goto Home Depot or Lowes and pick one up. Carefully remove the shingles and cut out the pattern. Install and replace the shingles using lots of caulk to make sure its waterproof. I generally just hook the electric into the light in the attic. This is a easy thing to do and the whole process should only take you a couple of hours on the weekend.

These pay off alot, especially if your area requires fire retardant underlayment for the roof. Most of the time it gets to hot and that causes the underlayment to "sweat" thus warping it and weakening the roof. Make sure you buy one with a thermostat so that it only runs when needed and saves electric.

If you dont want to cut a hole in the roof then just get two of these greenhouse fans for the sides. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/vent.shtml#16a