Scruit

IDE to SATA converter for DVR

Anyone tried an IDE to SATA converter (to allow you to plug a SATA drive into a device that is expecting an IDE hard drive...)

Tried one in my CPCam 507HC and it didn't work out. Oh well. Won't recognize the drive - the drive doesn't even spin up.

Going to try the converter in another device just to make sure it's not a bad converter.

EDIT: Just looked at my other computer - This IDE/SATA adapter is missing the power connection! Back to the store monday for a power adapter!

I tried one in a mobile DVR, ZERO success.

Matter of fact, I tried an adapter that will interface a Laptop drive to the IDE desktop connector in the DVR. The DVR screen says formatting.......then "format complete". The drive will record and playback, BUT when turned off and re started it formats again!. The format info does not stay modal on the drive. All previous data is gone. Go figure.

I have run a 2.5" laptop hard drive in my mobile DVR (dashcam) hoping it would handle shock better. It worked, but died after 6 months just like the rest of the HDs I've burned through.

I'm running an automotive grade HD now ($200 for 80GB ) and it's been fine so far. It does give the occasional blip of bad data especially if I go over a speed bump or something but recovers immediately, whereas the consumer HDs would blip and "stay blipped".

If the SATA adapter and 1TB HD won't work in my DVR I just install the HD in my PC instead. No big loss.

I have run a 2.5" laptop hard drive in my mobile DVR (dashcam) hoping it would handle shock better. It worked, but died after 6 months just like the rest of the HDs I've burned through.

I'm running an automotive grade HD now ($200 for 80GB ) and it's been fine so far. It does give the occasional blip of bad data especially if I go over a speed bump or something but recovers immediately, whereas the consumer HDs would blip and "stay blipped".

This is what you really need... little pricier, but bumps will never be a problem: http://a-power.com/home-635

Any reason you couldn't use a Solid-State Disk?

********* Edit **********

Whooops... just checked Soundy's link. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Just occurred to me, but I suspect all SSD drives will be SATA, so... that would be a problem for him right there.

Oh well... could always get a new DVR

Just occurred to me, but I suspect all SSD drives will be SATA, so... that would be a problem for him right there.

Most are... but they make PATA ones... I looked into one for my older laptop.

why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? SATA HDs are cheap and mcuh better quality. I can understand using old stuff to build old stuff or save money but when your dealing with video security why take a change on old stuff that is dated?

By the time you buy the adapter and test you've spent as much as or more than.....

I have a shelf full of IDE drives just looking at me and they will sit there. I'll use them on legacy systems until they become paper weights.

maybe IDE's will be worth more than I paid for them? Maybe that 1970/80's Apple/Comador computer I have in the closet (still works) will be worth more than 800 dollars? who knows................but I'll still have both 10 years from now!

SSD's? Just faster in my world, not ready to invest in them yet.....

Anyone tried an IDE to SATA converter (to allow you to plug a SATA drive into a device that is expecting an IDE hard drive...)

Tried one in my CPCam 507HC and it didn't work out. Oh well. Won't recognize the drive - the drive doesn't even spin up.

Is that what are u looking for ?

sorry for quality, done by my phone

Sata2IDE.jpg

I used them a couple of times.

The ones that worked for me where like this. Note that this thing goes on the DVR motherboard, and NOT on the HD, that basically means that where you can usually connect 2 ATA HDs, you will only connect 1 SATA HD. This model can be bought for cheap. There is also another one like this but where you can connect 2 SATA HDs (can't find pic now).

http://www.trendstrading.us/images/IDE_and_SATA_2.jpg

Oh, here is the one for 2 HDs:

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00CvltbijgAPoZM/SATA-To-IDE-IDE-to-SATA-Converter.jpg

It did NOT work for me with the following model. From what I remember, SATA HD would format OK, DVR would reboot, and it would say again that it was not formated.

http://www.entrale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lk-13417.jpg

Most are... but they make PATA ones... I looked into one for my older laptop.

my laptop has one, soldered onto the motherboard.

why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? SATA HDs are cheap and mcuh better quality. I can understand using old stuff to build old stuff or save money but when your dealing with video security why take a change on old stuff that is dated?

By the time you buy the adapter and test you've spent as much as or more than.....

I have a shelf full of IDE drives just looking at me and they will sit there. I'll use them on legacy systems until they become paper weights.

maybe IDE's will be worth more than I paid for them? Maybe that 1970/80's Apple/Comador computer I have in the closet (still works) will be worth more than 800 dollars? who knows................but I'll still have both 10 years from now!

SSD's? Just faster in my world, not ready to invest in them yet.....

The Avtech DVR as with many of the budget 4 channels, only accept IDE drives. Some have SATA but not all.

Update: For my home DVR, I added the SATA power adapter and the HD worked great.

Why IDE-to-SATA converter? Because I have 3 hard drive slots, 2x 500GB IDE drives and I need more retention. I can get 1TB SATA drive for $70 and tha adapter/cable ran me $10 together. How much is a 1TB IDE drive? If this works out OK I can pay another $140, replace my existing IDE drives and get a total of 3TB capacity in the system, and even have a drive or two spare in case of failure.

Mobile DVR - Why not SSD? At the time I first looked at SSD there were two options, the "slow" MLC SSD or the "fast" SLC SSD. The MLC ran about $200 for 64GB and the SLC ran $999 for 64GB. MLC had stated speeds that were lower than the IDE bus speed. Technology has moved on and the price/capacity points are headed in the right direction, however it's still around $600 for an IDE SLC (has MLC caught up to IDE speed yet?) versus $200 for an 80GB automotive HD rated down to a temperature hat we'll never see in ohio.

Also, I asked the DVR manufacturer and the warned me away from SSDs as they had not been tested with the DVR BIOS and they couldn't be sure if it'd even work. Plus, if I had a mobo issue after installing an unapproved drive then I'd have warranty problems.

why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? SATA HDs are cheap and mcuh better quality.

Did you actually read the original post?

"Anyone tried an IDE to SATA converter (to allow you to plug a SATA drive into a device that is expecting an IDE hard drive...)"

yep, but, I just had to ask why do it.............if newer technology is as cheap and better. The question made sense, but the reason does not.

You have a DVR that works with ATA hard drives. You can easily find SATA hard drives cheap, but not ATA hard drives. You do not want to buy a new DVR just so it will support SATA hard drives.

It makes sense to me...

Going to try the converter in another device just to make sure it's not a bad converter.

EDIT: Just looked at my other computer - This IDE/SATA adapter is missing the power connection! Back to the store monday for a power adapter!

you'd better use SATA IDE adapter with chip JM20330, it support devices well, here it is: www(sintech)cn /en/SATA%20adapter/ST4056A.html .