Basil

Camera Wanted

I'm in the UK and would like to monitor frontage of house day and night, approx 30 feet from house and upto 40 foot max across, want to mount the camera up under eaves of house, just run power into loft. I would prefer to use a wired camera linked to a wireless transmitter... the Mrs is sick of cables everywhere !!!

Basically can anyone recommend a sensibly priced solution please, I looking to record the images on a PC, so also would like some pointers on video capture and associated software.

Have been looking at various options and am now confused, there is a street light about 50 foot away.

Thanks in advance.

read old posts on this forum to get a feel for the equpiment and install tips. Wireless shoudl be your last resort. Properly installed cables...you can't see them so your Wife may need a professional install?

read old posts on this forum to get a feel for the equpiment and install tips. Wireless shoudl be your last resort. Properly installed cables...you can't see them so your Wife may need a professional install?

doubly co-signed

If you are taking the camera cables straight into the loft from eaves mounted cameras most of your cabling will be in the attic.

Why don't you consider a low end 4 camera dvr situated in the attic or maybe a cupboard that goes up to the ceiling, many houses have this.

You could then install a modulator to distibute the picture to your existing TVs over the existing aerial system.

Result no new cabling in the house.

I understand that this may not be exactly suitable in your circumstances but as long as you don't want to review the dvr every day its an easy solution.

Don't go for cameras with nuilt in I.R lights as spiders can make them usless in the night.

i disagree with the spider comment. ir and non-ir camera's are all prone to the spider, bird, and all sorts of other "cleaning" issues. What you need to plan is a good cleaning capabitity for yourself when you install the camera's. ie. putting a camera on a 50 foot pole provides a great view but is a pain to clean with a spider spins it's web. I always try to place the camera's where they can be cleaned with a 7ft. ladder. anything higher is going to cause you heartache.

Many thanks for the advice to read to the older posts, I had already had a quick look... most informative, also what started to get me thinking more about what I was going to do.

I was looking at http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/GV250.htm and http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/waterproof_ir_camera.htm...

But now confused... conflicting info about low light and IR camera... aaahhhh. Which would be best for me... cheap and simple but useable please.

Must admit I hadn't considered periodic cleaning of the lens etc... thanks for the heads up. Not keen on ladders etc. either... but I can probably manage a wee bit of cleaning...

Cheers for any and all help

The problem with the cameras with the built in I.R. lights is that the slightest spiders web (that is invisible in the day) reflects the I,R back & you get a white out.

The image is still perfect in the day light.

If you have seperate I.R lights then the spiders web on the front of the light does not have any effect.

RF Concepts is a good company to deal with.

Thanks for the info re cameras with IR built in, scratch that idea... now to find a suitable camera and separate IR device....

Has anyone got any recommendations of stuff available in uk, please ?

Thanks for the info re cameras with IR built in, scratch that idea... now to find a suitable camera and separate IR device....

Has anyone got any recommendations of stuff available in uk, please ?

I don't know what's available in the UK, but you have lots of options for cameras. Probably for your purposes simple bullet cameras will do. If B&W cameras will do, you have lots of choices. However, if you want to use IR illuminators with color cameras, you'll have to be very careful to chose a camera *without* an IR filter. I even have one B&W board camera that must have an IR filter because it can't see IR-illuminated areas. You might also consider going on Ebay and checking out some used B&W cameras. I've seen a number of people in the UK selling them there. I've had very good luck with the surplus CCTV gear I've bought on Ebay.

As for illuminators, your choices are either LED-based or halogen-based. If the area you need to illuminate is no more than 40 feet, you can probably get away with LED illuminators, which are less expensive and draw less power. Lot's of brand choices also. If you need to illuminate further, you'll probably need to step up to a halogen-based unit. Here in the states these units start at around $200 (e.g., a Vitek VT-IR1-110). Rory will tell you that Extreme illuminators are the best, but they're also very expensive and are probably overkill for most residential uses. For example, I have a 30-deg UF500 I've been playing with. It's great for illuminating an area about 90 feet away, but way overkill for anything closer. I just bought a few Vitek VT-IR1-110 illuminators for more medium-range use. I'll be experimenting with these units this week/weekend and will report the results.

Edited by Guest

Yep, Extreme IS expensive, though after using several other OEM IR Spot Lights, I only use the Extreme now, or nothing ..

In the UK though, it would be Derwent, they make the IR for Extreme, they are all one company now actually.

http://www.derwentcctv.com/home.asp

They also have smaller IR LEDs and Bulbs also, such as the UF100, EX12, EX26LED. They are also well known for their Integrated IR Cameras (which come with seperate LED/Camera Design), as well as vandal proof domes, exlposion proof cameras, balistic cameras, and underwater cameras.

Rory

Yes, I was considering a couple UF100 units, but when you add the cost of the power supply and replacement bulbs, they aren't as cost-effective as the Vitek, which you can just plug into the wall and uses standard bulbs.

Caveat: I haven't yet actually seen the results of the Viteks, so can't report on the results.

Edited by Guest

They are similar to the COP USA OEM ones I used before .... they generally work to maybe 40', spot, at least the 12V and 24VAC ones..

My first impression on the Vitek is: underwhelmed. I expected much more punch. The strength is a bit better than the WizKid WZ12L units, which are about $50 less, but that's about it. I have to play around more with locations, so nothing conclusive yet.

So what's the decal say on the rear window? With the lighting, I can't tell..

But, seriously.. I'm loving my UF500 more and more!

BahamasSecurity.com ... darn I got to take that off, anyway probably selling it as the loan is killing me ...got to get a cheap jap diesel ..2001 and I still owe $27K!! Its got plenty of punch and power though, I kind of suped it up Go through brakes and tires every few months ...!

yeah,. well that is Over the internet, and in near pitch dark .. and the lettering is grey same as the jeep ..

I think everyone'll be impressed by my extreme UF500 / Samsung 721 shots. If I can capture them to post here (hint, hint..),