yir

Plate read at 2km

Hi, I'm new on all this and need some help from you.

I have to find the right camera to view able to read car plates up to a distance of 2km from the camera. The camera wil be installed at 15m height.

I'm doubting how to be able to do this and at the same time cover the area closer to the camera. I guess there would be always a blind angle, or there are cameras special for that.

Could you help me how i should calculate the lens that I need? I've tried with some lens calculators but really get lost with the angles, horizontal etc

If you could also send me the link for a good guide, I'll thank you.

Thanks!

Yir

That is not possible with one camera. In order to read a license plate at 2km you would need to utilize at least a 3000mm lens for a 1/3" camera or a 2400mm lens for a 1/4" camera. That would give you a horizontal field of view of around 10 ft. or around 3 meters at 2km, which is approximately .09 degrees. That won't see very much in close.

Another major problem would be jitter of the image. Since 1/10 of a degree of movement of the camera would translate into 3 meters of jitter in the images, the camera and its mount would have to be super-stable. That would require very specialized equipment which would probably cost a fortune!

Hi, I'm new on all this and need some help from you.

I have to find the right camera to view able to read car plates up to a distance of 2km from the camera. The camera wil be installed at 15m height.

I'm doubting how to be able to do this and at the same time cover the area closer to the camera. I guess there would be always a blind angle, or there are cameras special for that.

Could you help me how i should calculate the lens that I need? I've tried with some lens calculators but really get lost with the angles, horizontal etc

If you could also send me the link for a good guide, I'll thank you.

Thanks!

Yir

May be board camera and telescope

I have done my self for customer long time ago

was able to read plates about 1000 m (day time)

That is not possible with one camera. In order to read a license plate at 2km you would need to utilize at least a 3000mm lens for a 1/3" camera or a 2400mm lens for a 1/4" camera. That would give you a horizontal field of view of around 10 ft. or around 3 meters at 2km, which is approximately .09 degrees. That won't see very much in close.

Another major problem would be jitter of the image. Since 1/10 of a degree of movement of the camera would translate into 3 meters of jitter in the images, the camera and its mount would have to be super-stable. That would require very specialized equipment which would probably cost a fortune!

Thanks very much for the answer

The customer said that it should be possible and I was becoming crazy to find the solution.

How would you advice me to design the solution?

The aim is to install the minimum number if cameras possible (ip cameras likely) to cover long roads and be able to see that there is a car and which colour up to 2km and if an alarm is raised in the area, focus to the point where the alarm was triggered and read the plate of the car there.Ideally also at 2km if possible.

Should I tell the customer I can see a car/colour up to 2km with this lense X but read the plate only at Y distance? Or/and, it won't be possible with 1 camera, you need Z cameras to cover 2km nicely.

Would PTZ Megapixel cameras help for this?

(And yes, they also asked for image stabilizer to avoid what you mention)

Please advice,

Yir

It would only work if there was a way to have the vehicle stopped from traveling such as at a gate, or a red light.

Moving cars with that type of lens would not work.

Are these parked cars, and you are doing Private Eye work?

For lenses, you can look into the converters that Cannon makes. They make to where you can use a hand held DSLR lens on a CCTV camera. That opens a world of possibilities in terms of long range lenses. Not cheap, lol, but a world of possibilities.

The aim is to install the minimum number if cameras possible (ip cameras likely) to cover long roads and be able to see that there is a car and which colour up to 2km and if an alarm is raised in the area, focus to the point where the alarm was triggered and read the plate of the car there.Ideally also at 2km if possible.

Yir

How long is this road your covering? Instead of getting too fancy and impracticable with lenses, why not mount closer to the FOV and just make a wireless IP mesh network?

Check out these guys: http://www.ubnt.com/

Yir

How long is this road your covering? Instead of getting too fancy and impracticable with lenses, why not mount closer to the FOV and just make a wireless IP mesh network?

Does Ubiquiti do mesh networking? I though they where point to point and point to multi point.

Edited by Guest

Yir

Does Ubiquiti mesh networking? I though they where point to point and point to multi point.

http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/Bullet_Nano_mesh

Yir

Does Ubiquiti do mesh networking? I though they where point to point and point to multi point.

http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/Bullet_Nano_mesh

cool

I, too, would suggest wireless, and probably Ubiquiti, but I don't think his application calls for mesh, just a simple point-to-point or multipoint.

If he's looking to do the shot from that distance, it means he has reasonable LOS (leaving out Fresnel zone stuff, for the moment), and 2km would be no problem for something like a pair of Nanostations.

Mesh has it's own set of hairballs, including bandwidth loss through multiple hops if you are only using one radio as a repeater.

Maybe I got confused with the difference of multipoint and mesh... I was thinking a "mesh" would be handy for multiple camera points to capture several areas all over the road. But your right, there probably is a common LOS for each theoritical camera back to the server and that would make better since.

zmxtech the terra Series is the best IR cameras on the market in my opinion.

Ascendent Technology Group not only makes long range Terra series It but have great mid range cameras too that exceed Extreme CCTV and cost less.

There based in Canada I dint know they had a distributor in AUS.

Now one option for wireless is using commercial IP radios which are basically wireless routers on steroids and can offer distances up to 40km of wireless with military encryption, this is not a cheap solution but neither is digging a trench. using these radios not only give you a security infrastructure but also communications infrastructures as well for internet and other purposes (LAN network)

Good radio company

now in order to use this wireless network to distribute video you need to buy IP cameras which are similar to IP cameras only they transmit video over networks instead of a cable.

If you need over 10km of wireless pm me I know a system than can achieve over 100km point to point and 40KM mesh network.

which allows yo not only to set up a security infrastructure but a communications infrastructure as well.

I would post a link but cant

Best Regards