Gesualdo

car camera system

Hey,

I am looking at getting a dash cam or system. What do you suggest?

I have found

http://us.3rdeyecam.com/dual-car-camera/

http://www.digitalallyinc.com/750-InCarVideo.html

http://www.mobilewatchman.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

anyone use them or recommend something else?

Thanks in advance

Gesualdo

depends on what sort of use you are after.

full DVR, record everything all the time (ie mobile watchman)

or a crash camera which only records when there is an event.

i have a DVR so i can't comment to much on crash cameras.

wide angle cameras don't pick up the number plates unless very very close.

frame rate counts. at speed you only have such a short window of opportunity to catch an image while they are in range. 4fps recording is very hit/miss. need at least 10-15fps.

with only two cameras, especially if they are both dash mounted as with most crash cameras, they cover very little area. you might get front coverage but little rear and certainly no side coverage. which makes it all pointless if someone hits you in the rear or on the side and does a runner.

in my experience with a hit and run, unless you can still drive and chase them the odds are fairly small you will read a plate well enough to pass onto the cops.

ideally you need front/rear and side cameras with decent fps.

thanks,

Since towns around here are looking for money I have been given 2 tickets for "rollin a stop sign" when "I did not wait long enough before turning" When I obviously did stop and speeding through a zone with a covered sign. Cost me $400 dollars and now I want the evidence in my favor if anything happens again. Also had a case where I was stopped at a light and a woman didn't make her turn and clipped my rear end and the guy behind me in the front and the guy behind me got the ticket because he had had alcohol in his system. She got away free even though both of us were stopped. and she hit us. I still don't understand that one fully.

probably want the full coverage system. now that i'm looking do any of them also work( wake up) for events when the motors off as well as when the motors running for vandalism or parking lot events also. Wifes car had broken mirror in shopping center years ago. Know it was a green car by the paint left behind.

I built a system like that Mobile Watchman many years ago for my Xterra. Four monochrome cameras with 3.6mm lenses covered about 170 degrees front and back, but fed into a quad with a mobile VCR. With continuous sound recording I was able to read off license plates if needed.

If I had to do it again I would use day/night cameras and perhaps one telephoto view out the front and one capturing the speedometer.

Of course my driving improved considerably after that and so did my language.

sounds like you need a full DVR.

however to have it running when not driving, tend to run into a couple of problems. one is room on the hardrive and the biggest is draining the battery. you would need to run it off a 2nd battery. not hard to do, just need space for extra battery.

you could try to have it just turn on to record an event (eg activate by motion sensor) but by the time the DVR fires up it would be all over.

watchman EDR i think is not a bad system for that. unfortunately its not really good for your main use.

Yeah, thinking full dvr also. I like the small size of the actual cameras in the one as well. does not take up windshield space. Don't want to tempt cops with obstructed view ticket.

that's all low resolution Analog stuff....

go IP ! a model with a IR cut filter for night and shutter control.

A laptop will do the job, or mobile PC.

Many of the good IP cams have a SD slot so you could put a 16GB card in there in FIFO mode -don't even need a DVR or PC.

An Axis Q1755, Mobotix, IQeye all do it

just some thoughts.....

sure...when they make them in miniature size and only cost a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand dollars.

actually i like the idea of the digital none-IP cameras. get around some of the electrical interference you can get.

sure...when they make them in miniature size and only cost a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand dollars.

actually i like the idea of the digital none-IP cameras. get around some of the electrical interference you can get.

You have your wish

Mobotix has the perfect megapixel/DVR car solution.

http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/content/view/full/37540

3 megapixel imagers

day/night

built in storage

(-22°F to +140°F)

no moving parts

trigger input/outputs

Built in logic

if you have cell card you can email on alarms

VOIP have your car call you on an alarm and have a 2 voice conversation

Press a button on your phone and turn the fuel pump off

under $2000 for the whole solution

When I have some time this is on my list to setup in my car

its not that great.

CMOS sensors, i wonder how they go in changeable light.

you still need a recorder. you need 300+gig storage, 16gig internal just won't cut it.

and then theres price. ~$2000 (by the time you buy the extra cameras) and then you need to buy the recorder.

Hi,

try to googlesearch for "erkme73 gawelo". You will find a nice description of the custom dvr setup with gps video overlay on mp3car.

(I cant paste the link because I am new on this forum).

See post #130 for detailed info on this setup.

cheers

Hi,

try to googlesearch for "erkme73 gawelo". You will find a nice description of the custom dvr setup with gps video overlay on mp3car.

cheers

Try google spam and see if you figure out why you cant post link!

JD

Hi,

cheers

JD

i don't think hes spamming. i know the thread hes meaning. its actually one of the members here (scruit ??) incar DVR setup with gps overlay.

its not that great.

CMOS sensors, i wonder how they go in changeable light.

you still need a recorder. you need 300+gig storage, 16gig internal just won't cut it.

and then theres price. ~$2000 (by the time you buy the extra cameras) and then you need to buy the recorder.

Mobotix has one of the best megapixel images in the industry. That price is with 2 3MP imagers which is more then enough to cover the inside of the car and can see out of the windows if placed properly. Also you don't have to buy any extra dvr/nvr solutions it's built into the camera. If you know how to setup logic in the camera for recording events the 32gig of SD storage would be enough for a couple of days. Also if you need more you can at a usb harddrive directly to the camera which could give you months of storage.

Mobotix 3MP image

112942_1.jpg

picture wise they look great but what are they like with high speed motion and changes of light ?

for the type of use you need to be able to have months of storage. so when you get sent a ticket a month later you can actually go back and reveiw it.

any added hardrive needs to be able to record all cameras at once. (2-4 cameras) constantly rather than event based.

event based recoding is fine for a crash camera but for other uses you need constant recording.

megapixel cameras would be fine with 1TB hardrive recorder.

The Mobotix CMOS sensors are very good for crazy lighting, unlike CCD's they can handle direct sun light no problem.

At first I was hesitant on CMOS then I did the Mobotix course and was impressed.

The shutter speed can be adjusted to suit like 1/1000 to capture cars flying past no problem.

Hi,

cheers

JD

It is an interesting setup. I have it in my car. I can't send a link to this post because I do not have 5 posts on this forum yet. Can someone post this link please?