paranoid

Geo webcam problems

I like Bridget the Midget.

Wasn’t she in that movie Swat? Aslo some other interesting movies Scott was talking about.

Update:

Discovered today that once the MulitView Active-X components are installed I can run the multiview program directly from the hard drive and the WebCam server will work on port 80.

If I try to use it through the browser interface I have to specify port :81 after the web address and change the port to 81 on the WebCam server on the DVR.

Rory,

After thinking about this I was wondering if that program you wrote would eliminate this problem. If your program loads the Active-X components without having to go into the browser then a person could avoid everything that I experienced above.

They would not have to ever change the WebCam server to port 81 if they ran your program and then ran the multiview program directly off the hard disk.

Is what I am saying correct?

my program uses the same activeX component as the webcam.

If port 80 is open, then you will need to port forward to it to connect from the outside, if from the internal network, then it will work without port forward.

If Port 80 is closed to the outside, and you want to use port 81, you will need to port forward port 81, and setup the webcam server for port 81 instead of port 80. If using the browser, you will have to enter :81 after the IP/Name, if using my program, you do not have to enter any port.

Rory

The WebCam server is set to port 80.

Port 80 is open and I am unable to access the DVR across my LAN using the IE browser unless I use the port :81 suffix.

So I can’t do it locally without adding the port :81 suffix., but I can connect remotely with no Port forwarding done in the router for 80 or 81.

I can also connect locally if I run the MultiView from the hard disk.

The port 81 business sure has me confused.

I have no problem getting it to work.

I would just like to understand why port :81 has to be specified in the browser, but not if you run the program directly from the disk?

the browser's default HTTP port is 80, and i think 8080 .. if you want to use any other port then you need to specify it.

If you can connect to Port 80 remotely, and you have a router, then either it is left wide open (DMZ) or port 80 is forwarded.

As for why the program doesnt need to specify a port .. got me .. must just sniff it out in the activeX .

I checked my router settings closely I am positive the router does not have port 80 forwarded.

And I don’t have DMZ enabled. That is why is so weird.

Oh well, it works, that is the most important part.

When I install MultiView on another client PC I won’t even bother doing it through the web interface.

I will run the program you wrote and then just run the MultiView program right off the hard disk.

It bypasses the need for port 81. At least in my circumstances.

Thanks.

Nope. Tried forwarding port 80 to 81. Page not found from browser.

Tried having WebCam server set at 80 and 81, still page not found.

Removed the port forwarding.

Have the WebCam server back to port 81 and it will work through the browser if I specify the local IP and then the port :81 suffix.

Tried it through the browser again with the local IP address only, doesn’t work.

Put the WebCam server port back to 80. suffix 80 & 81 don’t work.

When I run the MultiView program from the hard disk. It connects and works fine.

MultiView is the option under the browser based WebCam software.

The one you can choose if you have a fast connection.

Forgot to mention I did not change the port number from 80 in the MultiView software to 81 at any point during the past few tests.

I have two entries there now. One for port 80, the other for port 81. They both work when run from the hard disk. So the previous tests are valid. (I think)

I have run the test locally and remotely. I VNC to a client PC and then it from there and it works fine when run from the hard drive.

Just logged on there again to double check. Used both port 80 and 81 remotely. Was able to log on without incident running the program from the hard drive.

Rory,

Does your program load the Active-X components and create the directory that contains the executable for MultiView?

If it does you don’t even need to use the browser. If it does where is the directory created for the MultiView program?

If not then the browser would have be used at least once to successfully install the Active-X components and the MultiView executable.

After that a person experiencing the same problem I encounterd could do way with a port forward to 81 and just run the program from the hard disk.

This is the path of the MultiView I am talking about.

"C:\Program Files\v7020\DMMultiView\MultiView.exe"

Is this program put in that directory by way of the browser Active-X components being installed and whatever else it does?

Or is the program installed through some other mechanism that I am unaware of? Such as being installed with the main DVR software and not as a stand alone program install?

Jasp, my program doesnt use the multiview ActiveX at all, just the web cam ActiveX, but the multi view, from what I can tell, just uses the Webcam activeX as well.

Multi View, though personally i never use it, but have watched it, it is a seperate activeX that creates a directory then opens the program, which is not a browser based app.

If you VNC to the PC then it will work as it would locally .. still i am lost to what you are asking?

Rory

Web Cam is installed when you load the second page.

Multi View installs if you click on Mulitview from the second page, if it is installed already, then it just opens.

Both have 2 activeX's each. The first one for each do a check on your PC to see if they are installed, if they are not, then they install the set up files (codecs, etc) to the appropriate folder, then they load that installation.

If they are already installed, the 2nd activeX kicks in which is the main one.

My Program registers files and installs the codecs and other related files on loading, incase it is not there yet, if it is already to go it just loads. But thats just me. Also my program has a setup.exe file that does it all on installation, the loading part is just a check which the user never sees.

But to connect to a DVR from a remote location the DVR still has to be port forwarded in the router, to the enabled web cam port number and DVR IP. No port number is required in my program though, it just connects, as with the multiview, as they are not browser based.

Rory

I was asking why you have to punch in 192.168.1.4:81 to get a prompt for the Active-X every time you use it.

When all you have to do is set the WebCam server to port 81. Type in the IP above, download the Active-X and then never have to type the suffix :81 again. You can then switch the port back to 80 in the WebCam server and never have to enter the browser window again.

Just run the program from the hard disk.

I just tested it on a Laptop and quit when I ran into the Active-X components failing to install due to security settings. So I have not verified if a directory is created with the executable file “MultiView.exeâ€

Yeah, The browser works with the :81 suffix to the local LAN IP, but the router did not need to be port forwarded and the WebCam server has port 80 as the setting.

I was just hoping there was a way to install the MultiView program without having to go into the browser.

But I guess even if you try to load (register) the components from elsewhere you’re still going to have to deal with Windows security settings.

I wanted to copy the pre-installed MultiView program files from one computer then install them onto another without having to use the browser.

But I guess I have to deal with the browser.

Oh well.

I tried that.

I copied the files over from my PC to my laptop and attempted to run MultiView. The program launched, prompted me for my ID and password. Then it loaded into memory (saw it in the task mgr).

But it is not finding what it is looking for. So I terminated it from the Task Manager.

The component name that windows wouldn’t let me load was: OCXChecker_6110.cab. Which could be the first of a couple if I remember correctly.

Your program must not be loading all the required components for MultiView to work.?

no, my program doesnt use anything to do with Multiview, just web cam .. but still my program doesnt need a port number, however there must be a port forwarded (any port) for it to be able to connect to, other wise it cant get by the router. The program installs on anything, even works on windows ME (tested it), just install it, port forward port 81 and you are good to go.

Here's that browser basic version ..

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/default.asp

Rory

I couldn’t get that to download on my PC or my laptop. I turned off the security center under component services thinking that would let me install the Active-X on my laptop, but didn’t work.

I get a blue screen with a little square box in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Is there a program that will load this or can it only be done through Active-X prompting?