ziggy221

Recommended low-mid end DVR for restaurant

im looking to spend about 1.5-1.9k on a 16 ch dvr w/ networking and storage of maybe 160 or 300gb. I've been using some everfocus, but have read on here that theyre not the best for the money. I do not want a no name, but am curious as to what is comprable for the $$. thanks Ryan

At that price range you need to be looking at PC based DVR'S.

The I-VIEW line is your best solution, as the other competitor, GEO, will probably make the system go over 2500+.

I-VIEW is a great dvr system that I am now distributing, I got tired of all the support calls about the geo line of dvr cards, because their software looked like it was put together by a high school kid on a science project.

One good featue about i-view, is that it has point of sale integration, via the TCP/IP network, which is cost effective since you don't have to purchase any type of extra hardware to make it run.

send me an email at: hermin@shscomputers.com

telling me exactly what you need.

+1 on the Linux solution. I personally do not like Windows.

The 2 I have encountered so far are March Networks and DIGiMERGE, both Linux embedded. Perhaps take a look at them.

http://www.marchnetworks.com/

http://www.digimerge.com/

I received a quote today of $1780.00 CDN on the DigiMerge VCD304 w/160GB HD... but that is a 4-channel. March Networks quote was much more... plus prices seem higher in Canada as well.

There are so many pathetic looking DVR websites, that it is hard to choose. Website first impressions are a major factor in my decision making.

i have had an everfocus edr1600 running for about 1.5years and have had no issues what so ever with them, they have the edsr and ****1680 as new models, i thought about the edsr for its price, but this forum seems to dislike it, so i wanted to check out others, of course from a company with good reliability.

I have a 16ch Kodicom KSR516 that I'm very happy with. It's really solid and has almost all of the features I could ask for (though support for more PTZ protocols would be high on my current wishlist). I haven't used any other DVR, so I can't comment on the alternatives.

In the $1800-2000 price range 16 channel Embedded RTOS linux:

Kodicom

Nuvico/Vitek

Hunt

I havent tried any of them in person, but I have used the Hunt Remotely and seems very good, for the price. The Hunt DVR is made by WebGate Inc, who also PARTNERS with Bosch, Samsung Techwin, and Honeywell. The manual is pretty straight forward, and seems easy enough to set up. Samsung Techwin, Hunt, and Webgate Manager Software are exact the same.

Havent looked at the Nuvico/Vitek though they come well recommended.

Looked at the manual for Kidocom, also looks good, though manual is over complicated. Havent tried the remote software yet. Not a big seller in this area.

In all you wont go wrong with either of these.

Everfocus is not in the same league as them. It is overpriced in the US for what it is.

If you go up to high end Embedded RTOS, there is Kalatel, Bosch, Panasonic, March Networks. DM is okay if you are in the Uk, but dont bother with it if you are in the US, it isnt that great and overpriced also. Sanyo has also come recommened on this forum, though I havent personally checked it out yet.

Ive been plugging in Kalatel DVRs past 4 years in closets, attics, the like, never to have to go back to them and they are still online. Kalatel Support has depreciated since GE took over so im probably going to switch to something like Bosch. I was looking at the March Networks but cannot get any firm info on them, such as a demo. Panasonic doesnt seem to have much of a selection of DVRs but seem to have alot of strengths. You wont go wrong with any of these higher end DVRs. They range for the 16 channel in the $3000-5000+ range.

For a low end, look at the AvTech (also sold by PowerTellecom), its the cheapest out there, and if you are looking to buy low end, then its your best bet. Get what you pay for.

Rory

Edited by Guest

One thing to add, that you may or may not already know: The DVR is the brain for your entire system. If you need to spread out the costs, buy the best DVR you can from a reputable dealer and then go to Ebay and buy used B&W cameras. After that, you can upgrade the cameras when you have the spare cash.

i have the cameras installed already. it's just one of the last buildings/installs to switch from time lapse to dvr with a budget. i have had many offers for non direct sensormatic intellex units but fear that if i need support, i cant get it, although most i hear is that they are one of the best mid grade units. i'll look at nuvico though. seems to be popular here. btw- im in the northeast US..

Then it's a no-brainer. Invest as much as you can in a good DVR and then learn every detail on how to use it. I've long understood the economics of PCs and most dedicated security DVRs are screaming bargains in camparison.

How are these ActiveX control thingies installed in IE for example? It no likie the Publisher.

I tried the saving of the cert, exporting/importing, then adding to the Publisher list under Content. Still no workie.

check your security settings.

under security, custom, activeX and Plugins, whatever is set to disabled there, set them to PROMPT. so it will prompt you, otherwise it wont load if it is set to disabled, If it is set to enabled leave it for now. Dont enable anything though, as then you will be wide open when browsing the web, just make it prompt you.

http://www.webgateinc.com/wgi_htdocs/eng/distribute/zboard.php?id=wgi_eng&category=1

If you look at the Divar Software, you will see it has the same design, same DVR list on the right hand side, etc. Looks like an SDK from one to the other, so you are saying Bosch makes WebGates DVRs who then sells them to Hunt, who then sells them for $1000 less than Bosch??

Regardless, i changed it to PARTNERS with as thats what Webgate sais, if bosch has a problem, let them contact them.