goalie

DVMR-8CD and high res recording

They don't list the recording speed for some reason......

FredB, the ASD-1610 is listed as "new". Is that the model you installed?

http://www.arguscctv.com/

Intellicam being the OEM. Don't think so.

We use to install the 4 and 8 channel version. They just added the cd burner. Other then that it is the same dvr.

Cheapest DVR out there with a cd burner. Telpix carries it in Los Angeles also.

www.telpix.com

You get what you pay for.

Also from Intellicam support:

My question: who is the OEM?

Answer: We are.

ask him if he speakes korean ...

This is their "Basic Warranty Statement".

"It will take approximately 3 to 4 weeks to process, from the date of receipt. The repaired or replacement unit will be delivered to the customer by UPS. Please make sure the return address is deliverable by UPS. (NO PO BOX Please)" -it goes on to say- "There are no advanced replacements on products and defective items will be returned via UPS Ground. There are no exceptions".

This says alot about the caliper of the company.

DataAve,

My CCTV application is a residence and my first impression on the cost of DVRs and cameras was similar to most homeowners. One's first impluse is to compare the price of a multi-channel security DVR to that of a TiVo. But it would be more accurate to compare the price of a security DVR to a high-end computer. When you get into that range, $1000-$3000 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

However, only a few years ago, TiVos cost $600 or more. So, if we see a growing demand for security DVRs for the residential market, we can expect prices to come down and quality go up.

Like any investment in technology, the question is: spend more to get something pretty good now or wait to get something better for less later.

Tell that to a client (home owner) and he'll show you the door.

That would make being a residential installer a tough business. Besides, the future of residential CCTV is probably DYI anyway. The winners in this market will be those who focus on volume, price, packaging, and support.

Think: Dell of CCTV.

ive maybe sold 10 (?) $3000 DVRs in the past couple years ... they just dont sell, they just dont care how good it is ..they'd rather a VCR or nothing down here ..

Its already a screwed up business. I get this email every month from this place in Miami that sells dead cheap OEM stuff, I mean DVRs for $175, color cameras at $30, PTZ for $500, etc.

But they sell to anyone that walks into their shops. I have clients here that are on their dealer mailing lists! They have even forwarded me emails from them to me, that ofcourse I already had, on the monthly specials, in otherwords saying why is my stuff so expensive!!!

Anyway, the majority of people selling them here, have no clue about the technical side of CCTV, really nothing at all, they just plug anything in. So there is still a need there, as well as volume for DIY stuff in retail stores to resell, and high end clients.

On that note guys, I just got the approval on a $70K quote that has been in the works for a year now ..!

If you look at the evolution of the computer industry you can see the parallels. In 1975, who would imagine almost everyone (in the "first world") would have a computer 30 years later? And you can see the trend accelerating: cell phones, HDTV, DVRs... and let's not mention the web. The evolution of and adoption to new technologies is happening faster and faster.

I'm sure CCTV fits somewhere in this, but still trying to figure out to what degree and how soon.

Did anyone get it to work hooked up directly to the high-speed modem?

So far I've only been able to get it to work behind a router

You have to change the port from incoming port 80, to another port that is not being used. Your ISP most likely blocked incoming port 80, whereas, on your network you have that port available.

Also check to see if the modem itself has a firewall. The Westells that the baby bells seem fond of have them.

I had a nEverfocus on it before it was working ok on Port 80

This DVMR uses port 8000 as default. I cannot ping the machine either.

It's a static IP too, it supposedly supports dynamic IP but I was never able to get it to work. With a static IP it doesn't work either unless its a 192.168 number.

We all heard of Pelco. Do they make cameras?? Usually Sony/Pelco or Panasonic/Pelco. It pays to dig until it hurts until you finally find that name brand that fits your needs. A unit, that you know the menus so well, you can guide a troubled customer through the menus from your couch. The pay part I found, is the same head end unit, same software (linux) and a $2000 price difference because of the name on the front of the unit as well as some changed soft touch controls.

Does this make sense??