This is the mystery I was talking about a few posts ago. Look in the root of C: for a dir named "bxs_client_0709" or something like that and try to run it from there now. If you copy that folder to any other XP machine it will run and function. I've tried on 5 or 6 now. Don't ask me what's up with that new folder, the instructions which are included in the package as a PDF file make no mention of it. I stumbled over it by accident.

Yeah no it doesnt create such folder on my PC.

Then that's REALLY weird. I'm going to have to see if I can figure out why it did on mine and why the apps will run out of that new folder, but not out of the box. I tried to run the start.exe file and after getting the little menu interface the second button from the left with the blue IE E, which is the remote viewer, crashed immediately like it did for you. That is actually "netpreview.exe". When I ran it from the new mystery folder it ran. I copied to a few other machines and it ran on those too. I put it on one of my USB keys and took it to a customers house and it worked on her machine as well. I dunno.

Try THIS

That's the folder that it created for me.

Then that's REALLY weird. I'm going to have to see if I can figure out why it did on mine and why the apps will run out of that new folder, but not out of the box. I tried to run the start.exe file and after getting the little menu interface the second button from the left with the blue IE E, which is the remote viewer, crashed immediately like it did for you. That is actually "netpreview.exe". When I ran it from the new mystery folder it ran. I copied to a few other machines and it ran on those too. I put it on one of my USB keys and took it to a customers house and it worked on her machine as well. I dunno.

Try THIS

Works for me no problem

Try THIS

Yeah but what im trying to say is ... it wont matter since it doesnt install (copy) the missing DLLs. I get 3 errors. It works for you, and AK, because your windows XP already has those DLLs installed, but not all XP machines nor Vista machines, will have them installed - hence its not a true portable app - if anything its a somewhat standalone app, but hardly even that, thats just the programs folder and you have the other dependency files already installed on your computer, by luck or by how basic the software is. They put their custom DLLs in the same folder is all, that works as well as if they were to put it in the system32 folder, in XP.

In fact, that is old programming (according to microsoft) that worked on XP, putting DLLs and user files inside the programs folder. For Vista and above they would have had to rewrite their software and place those in the correct locations (user and system folders). I would actually like to know if it works on vista? i prefer XP myself anyway, hence why most of my own "standalone" apps only run in XP.

But back to the subject .. i guess you need to talk to Luxriot staff to see if they will make theirs portable or at least standalone.

maybe they could do a "lite" version using ini files instead of a database.

This is the mystery I was talking about a few posts ago. Look in the root of C: for a dir named "bxs_client_0709" or something like that and try to run it from there now. If you copy that folder to any other XP machine it will run and function. I've tried on 5 or 6 now. Don't ask me what's up with that new folder, the instructions which are included in the package as a PDF file make no mention of it. I stumbled over it by accident.

Rory would u call this Apps portable ?

just curios

###

This link will last for few hours only

99% of the application has nothing to do with portabilty and is just OK for both regular and portable scenarios. There are still a few moments that rely on integration with operating system, and assume the components are installed and registered with the system (such as for example codecs, which are registered with Windows APIs, used through them for interoperability and also make available footage for third party apps). This is exactly the problem for a portable version. Doable, but needs be done before it starts working great, just like Adobe's 100 MB Flash :)

I had impression that applications will be packed into a virtual environment, a sandbox, which contains all necessary information such as registry entries and applications’ DLL files and so on...

I understand what you mean (it's of this kind). This will definitely work in case of rich virtualization layer, like provided by http://thinstall.com/ and not sure if a simpler thing like http://portableapps.com/ is sufficient to provide a portability container and resolve the dependencies LuxRiot needs.

My point was that there are just a few thins that prevent LuxRiot client to run as "no install" application, when you just copy the files onto USB stick and you are ready to go. I personally would prefer this way.

Right ?

did not try Luxriot for long time so I don't know what u have but do u have standalone Client I can download ?

You can download regular install and only have "client" component checked during installation (this is equal to client-only install that we also have). Basically if you install regular package server+client and never start server it is also going to be OK and won't be a burden for the system.

Rory would u call this Apps portable ?

just curios

This link will last for few hours only

ok not really portable. Why??

It does the following, messing with the users PC, needs Admin rights:

-Backs up the current program's registry if it is installed on PC, to the user temp folder

-creates a new program registry section with the creators original values (some sections are in spanish)

-registers all the dlls onto the users pc using the systems regsvr32.exe

-runs the program then waits for the user to exit it ...

-when the user exits the program it then unregisters the temporary dlls, removes the custom registry section, restores the registry backup, and exits

Ok so yes it works, but needs admin rights AND if the user has the same software on their PC or software that uses those DLLs then the real version wont work again, as the DLLs were unregistered!

Innovative though. I think virtualisation would be better.

Also I had to delete the link due to the type of software it is.

Additionally it still depends on these files and their exact paths: (but the user could check which of these files can legally be distributed).

c:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\COMCTL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\COMDLG32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\GDI32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MPR.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MSIMG32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MSVCRT.DLL

c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL

c:\windows\system32\ODBC32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\OLE32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\OLEAUT32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\QUARTZ.DLL

c:\windows\system32\RPCRT4.DLL

c:\windows\system32\SHELL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL

c:\windows\system32\USER32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\VERSION.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WINMM.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV

c:\windows\system32\WS2HELP.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WS2_32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL

c:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82\GDIPLUS.DLL

Does anyone have a demo?

Demo of what ? Luxriot ?

yes

It's perhaps easier that could be thought of. This is where you download it: http://www.luxriot.com/tryitnow.asp Unregistrered as is, it is subject to a few constraints http://www.luxriot.com/editions.html You can configure cameras with the software, set up recording, see live picture etc. There are also a couple of demo servers we have on internet, where you can connect to remotely and get video from cameras configured there.

ok not really portable. Why??

It does the following, messing with the users PC, needs Admin rights:

-Backs up the current program's registry if it is installed on PC, to the user temp folder

-creates a new program registry section with the creators original values (some sections are in spanish)

-registers all the dlls onto the users pc using the systems regsvr32.exe

-runs the program then waits for the user to exit it ...

-when the user exits the program it then unregisters the temporary dlls, removes the custom registry section, restores the registry backup, and exits

Ok so yes it works, but needs admin rights AND if the user has the same software on their PC or software that uses those DLLs then the real version wont work again, as the DLLs were unregistered!

Innovative though. I think virtualisation would be better.

Also I had to delete the link due to the type of software it is.

Additionally it still depends on these files and their exact paths: (but the user could check which of these files can legally be distributed).

c:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\COMCTL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\COMDLG32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\GDI32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MPR.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MSIMG32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\MSVCRT.DLL

c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL

c:\windows\system32\ODBC32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\OLE32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\OLEAUT32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\QUARTZ.DLL

c:\windows\system32\RPCRT4.DLL

c:\windows\system32\SHELL32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL

c:\windows\system32\USER32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\VERSION.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WINMM.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV

c:\windows\system32\WS2HELP.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WS2_32.DLL

c:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL

c:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82\GDIPLUS.DLL

Are you saying the app I posted does all this or this is what portables or standalones do generally?

I apologize about the link then. I didn't realize it was a violation of policy.

The long and short of this whole thing for me is that I was using the old netviewer for like 6 years this way and it never failed me on a 2K or XP machine using Putty. I got a different system (long sad story) and the old or new netviewer wouldn't allow configuration parameters compatible with the new system and at the time the new app appeared to be incurably crashing.

I came here to see what others were doing for a no install take along on a USB key solution. It appears to my confessed surprise that people aren't using that type of solution. I figured out how to get what I needed so I'm happy. I shared that here. All this discussion ensued

I hope I didn't stir up a hornets nest by bringing this topic up, that certainly wasn't my intention. I simply got hooked on the ability to almost instantly access my cameras from any windows machine I've tried to date and wished for that to continue.

Are you saying the app I posted does all this or this is what portables or standalones do generally?

Take it easy

I think Rory is talking about my link

Take it easy

I was apologizing politely and sincerely. If he wasn't referring to me then my mistake.

Take it easy

I was apologizing politely and sincerely. If he wasn't referring to me then my mistake.

Can u pack Luxriot Client only and sent it to me ?

May be I will play one day

The long and short of this whole thing for me is that I was using the old netviewer for like 6 years this way and it never failed me on a 2K or XP machine using Putty. I got a different system (long sad story) and the old or new netviewer wouldn't allow configuration parameters compatible with the new system and at the time the new app appeared to be incurably crashing.

I came here to see what others were doing for a no install take along on a USB key solution. It appears to my confessed surprise that people aren't using that type of solution. I figured out how to get what I needed so I'm happy. I shared that here. All this discussion ensued

I hope I didn't stir up a hornets nest by bringing this topic up, that certainly wasn't my intention. I simply got hooked on the ability to almost instantly access my cameras from any windows machine I've tried to date and wished for that to continue.

LOL no i wasnt talking about the link you posted.

I was just saying the one you posted was not a portable app, as it uses a bunch of windows files that the user still already needs to have on their PC

Id like to see how its useful to run a remote video app off a USB stick but i dont. You need full admin rights on the PC you are going on, it has to be XP and has to have all the dependencies allready installed. Its just pure luck it has worked for you so far. Not to mention that typically one would be using a remote video app from their remote computer, so installing it on there would generally be no problem.

Id like to see how its useful to run a remote video app off a USB stick but i dont.

And apparently you are not alone if the absence of discussion on a site like this is any indication

You need full admin rights on the PC you are going on, it has to be XP and has to have all the dependencies allready installed. Its just pure luck it has worked for you so far.

You are clearly an intelligent guy with skills, but this just isn't true as far as admin rights are concerned and barring a severely strip tweaked OS install 99% of the machines out there are going to have those rudimentary dependencies. I just created a test unelevated user account on this prehistoric Dell Dimension 4000 I have here next to me that I have shaved quite a bit out of and it worked fine. I am not exaggerating when I say I've tried it on a few dozen machines outside of the pretty similar ones that Ford had.

Not to mention that typically one would be using a remote video app from their remote computer, so installing it on there would generally be no problem.

This is of course true. This all started for me when I was doing desktop support for Ford here in Detroit in a humongous building with 6000 users. It was great being able to grab my cameras right away on a call from my wife from any currently vacant desk. I got used to it and I also use it from customers houses. They are ready to declare me a towering techno genius on seeing that work and the effect is enhanced by it taking me like 60 seconds to accomplish which is good for business and lets me check in at the same time. Besides, it's just plain cool, but maybe not as useful for others as it has been for me.

You are clearly an intelligent guy with skills, but this just isn't true as far as admin rights are concerned and barring a severely strip tweaked OS install 99% of the machines out there are going to have those rudimentary dependencies. I just created a test unelevated user account on this prehistoric Dell Dimension 4000 I have here next to me that I have shaved quite a bit out of and it worked fine. I am not exaggerating when I say I've tried it on a few dozen machines outside of the pretty similar ones that Ford had.

Thanks, and actually you are right in the case of this app, it does work in a user account (yes i admit i was incorrect LOL) - however the nero one that AK posted failed big time in a user account as it basically tries to do a temporary install on the users PC, yet doesnt have admin rights.

As for the BXS client, I tested it in a user account also, tracking it with a reg and file tracker, it does make some minor registry changes related to direct draw but those allow user level changes. As mentioned though as with any stand alone app the other windows dependencies must exist or to make it portable would need to virtualize like thinstall and then all dependency files are included in its own virtual file system (also like mojopac did).

As you mentioned this is a very simple app and takes very little hence the small amount of dependencies. I would see the biggest problem with an OS like Vista and Windows 7 though as they dont like to run like that - but then there is always WinXP compatibility mode (i have neither to test right now as i prefer XP myself). It uses Direct draw, Winsocks, and very little else, other then that I didnt use it so cant say how it is.

It isnt that difficult to get small apps to run like this (a depends program helps too), but a big app like luxriot would probably mean them rewriting their code some, or making some kind of lite version without databases and less features - im sure they (or someone else) could easily just do a basic version using their browser based ActiveX?

Roman you guys should also maybe look at making a version to work with Wine in Mac and Linux if you havent already, its fairly easy and its easy for the user to install (see my mac post here and the ubuntu one here)

Oh well .. im off now ..

good chatting

<<< As you mentioned this is a very simple app and takes very little hence the small amount of dependencies. I would see the biggest problem with an OS like Vista and Windows 7 though as they dont like to run like that - but then there is always WinXP compatibility mode (i have neither to test right now as i prefer XP myself). It uses Direct draw, Winsocks, and very little else, other then that I didnt use it so cant say how it is.

That was my point all along. The ironic thing is they very "chintzy-ness" of this app turns out to be an accidental boon for portability I didn't think of compatibility mode for Vista and Seven I'll have to try that, but I am all with ya there. Vista was almost intolerable and Seven does nothing I care about any better than 2K actually though Seven is a huge improvement over Vista IMHO.

Oh well .. im off now ..

good chatting

Fair enough and same here

It works in Windows Seven without even using compatibility mode or running it as admin as long as your video drivers support directdraw.

It works in Windows Seven without even using compatibility mode or running it as admin as long as your video drivers support directdraw.

Tiribulus if u want u can try to do with you Apps

the same what i have done with this one

http://www.cam2life.net/support/Software%20and%20Manual/Portable%20Version/CAm2life.net.exe

Basically I took folder and convert to self extracted zip with "exe" extension and embeded few cam links inside

from customer point become simple

download only one file and execute

lot less ??? for me

I wonder if this the same package Rory was talking about. It won't run for me because of what appears to be dependency issues

the cam2life one needs dot net installed or it wont run

so yeah thats a pretty big dependency

the cam2life one needs dot net installed or it wont run

so yeah thats a pretty big dependency

You right

It does need dot net

that why dot net file sit in the same folder ready to be downloaded

and read me first info for customers

so far no complains

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not a fan of the .net framework and avoid it whenever possible. As soon as I get around to seeing if I can get rid of it in Seven I will.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not a fan of the .net framework and avoid it whenever possible. As soon as I get around to seeing if I can get rid of it in Seven I will.

No Problem

I just provide you with example what i have done with THIS APPS

that all