I'm just now starting to play with LuxRiot... So far I'm a little disappointed in the Web Client.

Is there any R&D going into improving it? At the very least archived playback would be nice...

What about cell phone aps?

What about alarming/ emailing functions?

I'm just now starting to play with LuxRiot... So far I'm a little disappointed in the Web Client.

Is there any R&D going into improving it? At the very least archived playback would be nice...

Thats why its called WEB CLIENT. Use remote connection client for fully featured work with Luxriot. No cellphone app. and emailing function. You cant ask for all that for such a cheap price. These are not life&death features. Luxriot is great product for VERY good money for value.

Thats why its called WEB CLIENT. Use remote connection client for fully featured work with Luxriot. No cellphone app. and emailing function. You cant ask for all that for such a cheap price. These are not life&death features. Luxriot is great product for VERY good money for value.

Your reply makes no sense... the name WEB CLIENT means nothing and makes no point AT ALL.... I only asked for archive playback through the web client... Even low level analog consumer crap has that. This is the first CCTV recording software I've ever used that didn't have a simple SMTP function... I really don't think that's too much to ask for. But hey, your entitled to your opinion as I am mine. That's what forums are for... Speaking of which, how about we answer the original post?

Pros

-Cheap

-large OS and hardware compatibility platform

-large IP camera compatibility

-Pretty stable on everything I've tested (server and client). No crashes, yet.

- I like that there are hot keys that can be used for basic, frequently used functions.

-Cool admin features like allowing the server to run in the background, without ever logging on to Windows

-Did I mention cheap?

Cons

- No pre-motion recording. Only post. A very simple feature but a must have in my book...

- Only live view works through web client. Can be a big pain for someone who uses multiple computers and wants a quick and easy way to check on things...

- Don't care for the archived playback interface. Seems a bit clunky and can be a pain to review.

- No email function for say motion detection or server health status.

- No compatible external I/O interfaces for alarm inputs/outputs. Not even for the built in ones on IP cameras.

- No cell phone aps. Not even a JPEG snapshot... Not that big of a deal, but can be an excellent selling point to potential clients.

- Server response time for archived footage seems slow. Even when running client/ server on the same machine at 10 percent CPU useage...

I will add that the remote client has a neat feature for submitting issues for tech support. You can submit all operating info automatically along with your comments where you can describe the issues. Neat idea in theory, but it's been over a week since I submitted my issue and still haven't heard back. While I haven't tried calling them, I would say that based upon that experience I am not impressed with their tech support response time. A week or more of hold time on a client's watch would potentially cost me a lot of money... That's why I run tests before I think about reselling. All these little things you'll never find out on a cut sheet.

All in all though, for the price point LuxRiot has a nice niche in the market. I would say a good product, but not a great one. With a few more tweaks and additions I think it could be great...

Just my 2 cents

Thank you guys for your feedback on LuxRiot. We appreciate and do pay attention. Missing features are on the way one by one, and I have to admit that web client is both limited in features and requires update.

Should anyone have a question or an outstanding issue which is "lost" in support and/or requires escalation, please feel always free to drop me an email at roman@ and/or PM me here.

- Don't care for the archived playback interface. Seems a bit clunky and can be a pain to review.

Exacq and Axis are a bit clunky too. Who has a good one?

Best,

Christopher

I dont even use a Cell Phone

Browser based will always be limited though, but some people still like it.

Best,

Christopher

Onssi and Milestone are very good but your gonna pay for it...... I don't know what your mean by clunky but with Exacq I don't have problems unless the server and/or the network is slow. If you use the client on the server the video loads very quick..... How many hours are you trying to load at one time? If I try and load 7 days worth of megapixel video I takes some time.

Best,

Christopher

Onssi and Milestone are very good but your gonna pay for it...... I don't know what your mean by clunky but with Exacq I don't have problems unless the server and/or the network is slow. If you use the client on the server the video loads very quick..... How many hours are you trying to load at one time? If I try and load 7 days worth of megapixel video I takes some time.

The Exacq is slow on playback mostly when trying to view cameras, especially megapixel, over a slower WAN connection (DSL, etc) than being a issue on a local LAN.

Milestone's playback is pretty nice, we have a fair number of customers with it.. But, as noted above, you are going to pay for it (3X or more per channel, compared to Exacq)

Interestingly, those of us who have used many different platforms may be a little more biased than our customers might be. I did a recent install with Exacq, and the customer felt that it was as good or better to use than our previous DVR platform that I felt was much easier to use....

I don't know what your mean by clunky but with Exacq

Here are a few suggestions:

- The time line gives no clue about the date. The time line could say 11:30, but is that 11:30 today, yesterday, or last week? The only way to know is to start from a known date, and then keep track in your head how much back-and-forth scrolling has been done.

- The 2x play button does not initiate a render, and does nothing until the clip has been rendered by some other action. I'm guessing this could be fixed with a single line of code.

- UI should include thumbnails of the triggers.

- Exports should use unique file names, not reuse the same file name and overwrite the last export.

- Selecting the start and stop points of a clip to export is tedious at best.

- Implement a feature to combine multiple motion clips into one clip at export.

- And, not a playback/export issue per se, the implementation of time zone needs to be ONVIF compliant.

Best,

Christopher

The Exacq is slow on playback mostly when trying to view cameras, especially megapixel, over a slower WAN connection (DSL, etc) than being a issue on a local LAN.

Yes the client is slow over WAN but the web client is very good. I get high frame rates with multiple megapixel cameras using the the web client. The only downfall right now is it's only live video but that is going to be addressed in 4.0.

... that is going to be addressed in 4.0.

Is there a planned feature list for 4.0? Is 4.0 in beta? Is there an anticipated release date?

Best,

Christopher

I don't know what your mean by clunky but with Exacq

Here are a few suggestions:

- The time line gives no clue about the date. The time line could say 11:30, but is that 11:30 today, yesterday, or last week? The only way to know is to start from a known date, and then keep track in your head how much back-and-forth scrolling has been done.

Select the Date and Start Time and press Search.... Also the date changes on the calender when you scrole left or right on the time line

- The 2x play button does not initiate a render, and does nothing until the clip has been rendered by some other action. I'm guessing this could be fixed with a single line of code.

Clip has to fully load before you can 2x plus or min

- Exports should use unique file names, not reuse the same file name and overwrite the last export.

I see your point

I find this very easy. Right click "mark start", right click "mark end", right click "export video"

You can from multiple cameras

- And, not a playback/export issue per se, the implementation of time zone needs to be ONVIF compliant.

Best,

Christopher

... that is going to be addressed in 4.0.

Is there a planned feature list for 4.0? Is 4.0 in beta? Is there an anticipated release date?

Best,

Christopher

Yes.... Yes and I am hearing next couple of weeks

... the date changes on the calender when you scrole left or right on the time line

Thanks. I thought I had tried that. I see that now. I think the time line could be easier to read, but at least I now see the date.

Clip has to fully load before you can 2x plus or min

Well, 2x works fine if I hit play and then immediately hit 2x. It plays at 2x speed while it is rendering. Why is it necessary to hit two button to get this affect? Why can't the 2x button start the render and play at 2x speed with just one click?

I see your point

I find this very easy. Right click "mark start", right click "mark end", right click "export video"

Yes, but don't you have to right click within a clip? Don't know if this is typical, but all my clips are motion clips. They average 10 to 30 seconds, and are very narrow on the time line. So, I just want to right click to the left and right of the clip to select it, but I can't get that to work. I have to right click inside the clip, and if it's narrow because I have not zoomed in, it's very tedious to get the beginning and ending. Do you follow my description? Am I missing an easier method? Do you zoom all the way in before export?

So, it can combine motion clips from multiple cameras, but can't combine motion clips from one camera? Basically, if I have a few seconds of motion on one camera at 7:01, then again at 7:15, then again at 8:03, is it possible to export all three clips into one video clip?

Yes the client is slow over WAN but the web client is very good. I get high frame rates with multiple megapixel cameras using the the web client. The only downfall right now is it's only live video but that is going to be addressed in 4.0.

Mike why slow over WAN

I know u have Exacq demo servers access

don't u like it ?

I have no problem to look at their demo servers

they have very good "pipe"

I get from them up to 3-5 mbps

unless u have "OK" connections

Mike why slow over WAN

I know u have Exacq demo servers access

don't u like it ?

I have no problem to look at their demo servers

they have very good "pipe"

I get from them up to 3-5 mbps

unless u have "OK" connections

Yes Exacq demo is very nice and smooth but like you said they have a fat pipe. I have a install with (1) Arecont AV8185 and (2) AV1355 on a 1Meg cable connection and with the client software over the WAN it is slow 1 FPS or less but with the web client I get 4-5 FPS.

For this same install the police access the video in their cruisers via Sprint cards and with the web client it works very well.

I was checking out the new Droid phone and I was getting 4-5 FPS over the cell connection..... it was very impressive

Yes, but don't you have to right click within a clip? Don't know if this is typical, but all my clips are motion clips. They average 10 to 30 seconds, and are very narrow on the time line. So, I just want to right click to the left and right of the clip to select it, but I can't get that to work. I have to right click inside the clip, and if it's narrow because I have not zoomed in, it's very tedious to get the beginning and ending. Do you follow my description? Am I missing an easier method? Do you zoom all the way in before export?

Left click to the left of the blue motion event and let the video load. Then once the video has loaded use the scroll bar to mark the start and end points of the clip you are trying to export.

So, it can combine motion clips from multiple cameras, but can't combine motion clips from one camera? Basically, if I have a few seconds of motion on one camera at 7:01, then again at 7:15, then again at 8:03, is it possible to export all three clips into one video clip?

Yes it can do that. You can load up to 7 days of video at one time and you can export all off that as one file. Their could be motion on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and that would be exported and one file. This also works with multi-able cameras. Whatever video is loaded can be exported as one file.

Check out the training videos on Exacq's website.

http://exacq.com/support/videolibrary.html

Yes.... Yes and I am hearing next couple of weeks

Can you post (or PM) the proposed feature list?

Best,

Christopher

Easy to Install and Operate

Fully Functional Windows, Linux & Mac Clients

Server Software Runs on Windows and Linux

Enhanced Web Server (Live and Recorded Video)

Digital PTZ (Live & Recorded Video)

Optical PTZ Camera Control (Analog and IP)

Graphic Search Display

Simple and Flexible IP Camera Licensing

POS/ATM Text Insertion Search

Event Search & Event Monitoring

Pre/Post-alarm Recording

Smart Search

Virtual Matrix

Multi-Monitor (video wall)

Multi-Camera Playback & Export

exacqRecall Single Button Export

exacq Replay Quick Convenient Playback

Analog & IP Cameras on One Interface

Supports Megapixel and H.264 Cameras

Megapixel Camera Cropping

Covert Cameras

Sensitivity Settings

Selectable Frame Rate

Privacy Block

Simple Mapping

Enterprise Multi-Level Mapping

LDAP / Active Directory

Enterprise User Setup

Yes it can do that. You can load up to 7 days of video at one time and you can export all off that as one file. Their could be motion on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and that would be exported and one file. This also works with multi-able cameras. Whatever video is loaded can be exported as one file.

OK, thanks. When I use this technique for one motion clip, the playback speed in Quicktime and Windows Media Player is real time. However, when I select multiple motion clips to be combined for export, the playback speed is approximately 1/15 real time. In other words, the QT time line has to advance about 15 seconds to advance the security camera time 1 second. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Best,

Christopher

OK, thanks. When I use this technique for one motion clip, the playback speed in Quicktime and Windows Media Player is real time. However, when I select multiple motion clips to be combined for export, the playback speed is approximately 1/15 real time. In other words, the QT time line has to advance about 15 seconds to advance the security camera time 1 second. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Best,

Christopher

??? why are you not exporting them as a .exe file? To be honest with you I haven't tried to export to anything but Exacq's standalone player.

Edited by Guest

??? why are you not exporting them as a .exe file?

I'll try it, but why is .mov and .avi available if they don't work?

Best,

Christopher

??? why are you not exporting them as a .exe file?

I'll try it, but why is .mov and .avi available if they don't work?

Best,

Christopher

Exacq's player is very good..... No codec's needed and it works just like the client software

Exacq's player is very good..... No codec's needed and it works just like the client software

Thanks. It's all working fine. Glad I drilled this down.

Best,

Christopher

Edit: FWIW, I struggled trying to get this to work after watching the tutorial. The video says to "select the file type", and I tried two formats (.mov and .avi), both of which had unsatisfactory results. I thought I was having problems setting the start and stop markers, but it was apparently a problem with the codecs. The video tutorials are brief and to the point, which is good, but it would likely be helpful to others to include just a quick sentence or two about codecs and file types in the tutorial.

Ok back on topic since this thread is a Luxriot Pros/Cons not Exacq

I have had the Luxriot software since last summer and find it very hard to use. Here is a list of my cons/issues that I have had:

-Sent a tech support issue via the link on 10/09 and never heard anything back.

-Latest version is 1.7.4 but can only find 1.7.1 in the download area?? However Armen hooked me up once I called them

link if anyone else has the issue- http://luxriot.com/Downloads/LuxRiot/1.7.4/26128/LuxRiot-1.7.4.exe

-Web interface allows only viewing of cameras, I'm using all ACTi cams with this and the camera interface is much better, I just wish Luxriots interface showed the full res like ACTi and allowed you to zoom or take a snap shot.

-Every time you remote to the server for the web access it has to download and install 3 files?? I can see it doing that the first time you connect from a new machine, but why every time with the installs?

-Constantly get connection errors from cameras at random? Sometime they connect fine then sometimes I get a strange error code, then sometimes I get a code saying somethings not installed.

I realize that the software is cheaper than some of the others but even at the price your paying for it shouldn't it work flawlessly? I mean is there really a point where one says unless you pay $XX amount of dollars you should expect minor issues? I don't know if it compares but I just dropped 60 bucks on a video game and it runs without issue. I can host a game on my pc and invite friends from around the world to connect without a problem and with just a click of the mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that Luxriot is totally bad, all I'm asking for is for the companies that make this type of software not to distribute it until its fully tested on all of the platforms that they say it will work on. If there is more to installing something than the install wizard covers, then put it in the wizard. Do some quality assurance testing. I know developers cost a lot, but if what they are developing isn't running correctly or doesn't meet what the customer wants (or is expecting) then you have a failed model. Again IMHO.