Hi guyz, my name is Paul and I am from Kenya. My company is currently bidding for a tender and the kind of system the tenderer is talking about is a wireless system operating on 5.4 GHz. The cameras should be able to transmit the signals to a range of 6 Kilometers. The cameras are also to be PTZ with an optical zoom of 35X. Could someone tell me the best system to use for this and if neccesary the pricing.

There are a variety of wireless options available. Is the distance line of sight with no obstacles in the way, trees, terrain, etc? do you have power in the remote location or do you need a solar solution?

Hi guyz, my name is Paul and I am from Kenya. My company is currently bidding for a tender and the kind of system the tenderer is talking about is a wireless system operating on 5.4 GHz. The cameras should be able to transmit the signals to a range of 6 Kilometers. The cameras are also to be PTZ with an optical zoom of 35X. Could someone tell me the best system to use for this and if neccesary the pricing.

Thanks a lot Voipmodo. The cameras will have independent power sources, but we will not mind going solar. The cameras are to be placed in open space in an airport. In fact they are called airside cameras to be placed on10 meter communication masts

There are a variety of wireless options available. Is the distance line of sight with no obstacles in the way, trees, terrain, etc? do you have power in the remote location or do you need a solar solution?

If you wanted to avoid building a system from scratch, a company called Sun Surveillance, mentioned on the forum here a few times has some great bundles that include, pole, choice of camera, transmitter, batteries and solar. They are 900mhz though, but does give you up to 20 mile range. If you have any obstructions to line of site between the camera and the receiver, then 900 is better suited then 5.4ghz. The vendor I mentioned above may be a good solution and you can contact them to see if they have any dealer/ integrator partners in your region who can handle your installation and setup. We are a reseller for them, but being in Kenya and a mission critical application like an airport, may be better to go with a local integrator who can support the install onsite.

http://www.sunsurveillance.com/

Check out Ubiquiti Nanostations, runs under $100 U.S. and will allow you to have a camera up to 15km away assuming line of site. Their website is ubnt.com. I like Mobotix camera because they are very self contained (doesn't require a pc and software), has a very sharp picture and you don't need to mess with enclosures and power for fans, it's ready for outdoor use and the camera, despite all the features only consumes 3W (compared to some camera with heated enclosures can use up 25-50W), so it makes it more suitable for solar power.

Second on the quality of the Mobotix. We sell them 10:1 over other brands.

Buellwinkle, How is the build quality and performance of the Ubiquiti products? Looks like a a great solution, though it comes across as too inexpensive from looking at their site. Have you used the products before and can recommend the performance and durability?

thanks

They came recomended from people on this forum, but I have not yet tried it. As soon as the holiday madness is over, I'm going to buy a couple and try them out. They also make a lower cost model for $49 and I haven't yet figured out the difference. They come with the power supply and pole mount, heck, those 2 items alone from Mobotix sets be back $200 wholesale just for one camera so I can certainly understand your fears. What I would love it to do is transmit over a 30-40' hill but just about 1,000' away to a switch with a pole mounted camera and control panel for key fob access countrol for gates, so that's my first experiment, if that doesn't work, have a repeater at the top of the hill but that raises the costs a lot to run electricity and a pole on a slope.

If you think of what it is, the price is not so high. It's just a wifi bridge with a good antenna and good transmit power that they cleverly packaged. They can act as a bridge or a wifi access point which is cool. People even run dd-wrt on them.

Second on the quality of the Mobotix. We sell them 10:1 over other brands.

Buellwinkle, How is the build quality and performance of the Ubiquiti products? Looks like a a great solution, though it comes across as too inexpensive from looking at their site. Have you used the products before and can recommend the performance and durability?

thanks

Ubiquiti has great products and so does Engenius. The pricing seams "to good to be true" but they are the real deal.

contact http://www.streakwave.com/

Wow, 30km range, 100mb/s and for $29.

Where did you get price of 29$? On 30km you will get simething like 5mbit at the best if lucky.

thanks

I have used them before. Product is too cheap for that quality Very good. But their customer service is COMPLETE CRAP. They dont reply on emails.

I would be bit cautious using any wireless system that transmits in 802.11g for security, especially for an airport. Just a little bit to easy to get a receiver for 2.4GHz gear plus the interference issues.

I've used Airmux-200's http://www.airmux.com/products/airmux_200.htm in some pretty harsh environments in North Australia and found them reliable. Available in 5.4 and 5.8GHz.

Motorola make a good product in their PTP300 to PTP600 range but its 4 times the cost of Airmux. I only use it for jobs needing guaranteed uptime.

One thing to be aware of is 5.4Ghz in many places has a weather radar band/channel right in the middle. If your in one of the regions that does you need to be able to lock those channels out.

We have done alot of work like this in the region.

Do not accept responsibility for the performance of the radio system unless you can specify the frequency and the kit.

There is very little regulation in Africa and anything goes.

2.4Ghz and 900Mhz is not even worth considering and should not be used for any high end security project.

I would suggest starting with a radio survey of the area with a spectrum analyser. Try for liciensed point-to-point frequencies say 18GHz or 23GHz, if you can get permission from the government or PTT.

Best to lay fibre if you can.

Regards

Ilkie

no way would I use 5ghz at an airport the doppler RADAR would wipe it out !

2.4 is way to busy

10,24,33Ghz etc for sure that why the Telco's all use it.

PM me If you like. I know a good company in S.A. that can help

my 2c

I have done extensive work with wireless over the last 2 years.

Ilk and the last guy are right.

Lay fiber if you can. If you cant, go with a licensed band.

I have used ubiquiti but there was too much interference.

Engenius works nice.

But if you can, try firetide.

Whatever you do, always measure the bandwidth before deploying cameras and keep in some padding.

If the total bandwidth used is 4mbps. Add 40% more to it. Best to have a dedicated p2p connection.

If you are using megapixel cameras, make sure they are not streaking the moving images at night.

With any megapixel\ip cameras, you might have to boot them once in a while.

When selecting a recording device, make a list of what you want it to do.

If its a windows based device it will need babysitting.

A lot of times windows based systems crash.

If you are installing more then 20 cameras you will need a server with dual quad core xenon processors.