ukrik

Consider using Avermedia?? think twise !!!

Hello,

I would like to be honest with you and want to say a few things I've experienced with Avermedia cards. My review is based on the product quality and design.

First of all, my background is CCTV technician and in this field trust me, you learn a lot of things when it comes to video surveillance aspects. Currently i am doing research and trying to find a good video surveillance DVR system, and what i mean by that is: branded, reliable, user friendly, with good video streaming quality, recording, and of course with warranty and technical support.

My projects are from big to small meaning could be from 8 to 24 cameras.

I came across Avermedia and got really excited about the product, i even bought a card to test NV 5000 120fps and really liked it until I ran into a problem which almost cost me to loose a $20,000 project. Please read my previous post about NV5000 2 cards issue.

To make a long story short i would like to point out a few things about the software application, when it comes to real testing. I will start from:

INSTALLATION. (NV5000 120 fps) Windows XP

There is no real description on how to do installation, the manual that comes with it just describes the software features and buttons.

1. Do not install drivers right away, there is a bug in the driver files itself, it would look like you installed everything, but then it uninstalls itself and keeps asking to install drivers again and again. Try to install the program from running the software first, but be careful, the drivers sometimes are missing from the cd for specific cards, just like NV 5000. So the best thing to download them from the Avermedia website.

FEATURES

2. Overall not bad, just the stupid “password confirmationâ€

I agree oin the bugs and the inconveniences that they may have caused. Just because one version failed a few features, it should not really trash the product. I found bugs on NV5000 a few years ago, too. But, I still like it overall. You said that there is no manual for the DVR system. The thing is, I have never seen another DVR card that is easier to use and install. Pretty much the best user friendly interface out there. You can't really compare the features with Geovision but, there is a difference. There are really small features that make a big difference especially when you have average computer-literate clients. I always use NV5000 unless my client demands more complex features. But then again, how many reatail stores look for automation, access features, or LPR and so on. As far as the installation goes, just click on the setup file and go with the flow. All you need to know is your Product type, and set your user name and password. This is no harder than installing Microsoft Office. This is not really a DIY system, so, if you come across with little problems like this, you may have to end up at the support page downloading different versions or the latest version ...

I had issues as well with the 7.7 SP1 software initially, but that was with 2 6480 cards. I found with 7.7 it was a little trial and error on installing it for 7.3. That being said, if there is a driver issue popping up, your card drivers are most likely still installed in windows (something I found out after the fourth install). I also had choppy video on one camera running in D1 resolution, but an IP camera patch solved that.

Avermedia all in all is a pretty good product to work with, and I am starting to see distributors stating that the FPS rating are for D1 and below due to so many people complaining that the cards are not performing to what was advertised. Let it be known that Avermedia is not the only manufacturer that does this, in fact, most of all the major manufacturers do the same thing in stating the maximum performance capabilities. If the manufacturers stated all the possible configurations with all the cameras they supported, the manuals or product information pages would be many. In part, this is what this forum is for, to give would be buyers, distributors and techs the inside scoop on pitfalls or limitations before purchase or installation.

For a $20k project install, I would have expected to see a 6480 card on a Vostro or something hand built to save money off Aver's support list, that way you would not have to had to worry about a second possible failure point or throughput issues on the PCI bus in the computer. For a $2000 build, it would have been a better solution IMO. In addition, the client would have had room to add cameras, which they would probably have called you to do.

Since you didn't state the specific chipset on the motherboard, is it supported on the list by Avermedia? That is one thing I can truly complain about is their tight chipset limitations, but let's face it, these surveillance products are really not something for the run of the mill computer gamer or businessman. The special nature of them requires the same dilligence as DVRs and NVRs, on stable platforms.