VJD

Geovision

After only having experience using Kalatel DVR’s I installed my first Geo system today. I was definitely disappointed in the live and recorded picture quality, but I guess I kind of expected that compared to the Kalatel. I kept wanting to go back and adjust the focus of the cameras even though I knew they looked fine when I set them up earlier with a portable monitor.

What really bothered me was the following:

The store that the system is installed in gets tons of sunlight. Needless to say, anything white lights up like the sun itself. Now I can adjust the cameras so they look decent in my portable monitor, but from the Geo system the whites are just beaming. No matter how much I adjust the picture within the software it still looks bad.

Any Geo users notice this phenomenon? Am I overlooking something?

After only having experience using Kalatel DVR’s I installed my first Geo system today. I was definitely disappointed in the live and recorded picture quality, but I guess I kind of expected that compared to the Kalatel. I kept wanting to go back and adjust the focus of the cameras even though I knew they looked fine when I set them up earlier with a portable monitor.

I know what you mean. All PC based seem to be that way. Price to pay for more features. Remote video can be better on the PC though, or at least you have many more options.

Best of both worlds, cameras into the kalatel, then loop to the PC for the features ..

Well, that's geo for you. Should have tried I-VIEW.

is there any review done by "third partyâ€

Sigh, that was helpful......and expected.

have you tried the video into a TV or CCTV Monitor, at the DVR end, to make sure its not a cable/termination issue ..

Are you using Baluns? These will cause that also.

to make sure its not a cable/termination issue

You know I'm going to say it rory, check them Twist-ons.

I did not try the monitor on the DVR end.

I also did use a new type of compression fitting for this install, hmmmm.

Damm, you guys are up as early/late as I am.

Yeah, make sure the connections were done properly, no matter what type you have used. If you crimp it, it could still be a bad connection and/or come loose, so just double check.

Type of cable, length of cable, but more than likely is a bad connection somewhere.

When using a PC DVR though, or any really, always plug in the Cable direct to a monitor first for each camera, to make sure you are getting a good signal. Ofcourse there will be loss with the DVR anyway as it converts it to digital, so though you may not notice it on the CCTV Monitor, even if it is a low signal, you will notice it through the DVR. A FM Systems Camera master/Video Meter can help test for these types of problems. In other words, direct into the CCTV Monitor you wont always actually notice a low signal as it is not digitized, so its good to have a video meter to test with.

Click the Auto Gain Control in the camera settings, it will adjust the Gain control for all your cameras automatically. Only other thing i can suggest is adjusting the brightness levels for your cameras. What resolution are you recording at, try selecting 640X480SW and then enabling directdraw overlay and deinterlace render in the settings. Good luck!

LOL

I just have something against GEO.

What type of Video Card are you using? And at how many colors do you have the settings done at? a lot of times, I have seen PC DVR'S set at 16bit colors, and the pictures looking like crap, they should be set to true color 32bit.

LOL

What type of Video Card are you using? And at how many colors do you have the settings done at? a lot of times, I have seen PC DVR'S set at 16bit colors, and the pictures looking like crap, they should be set to true color 32bit.

Wow, actual advice! And to a Geo user

Hermin, there is hope for you after all

LOL

Wow, actual advice! And to a Geo user

Hermin, there is hope for you after all

Well, I don't wanna come across as biased

I just hate geo, great hardware, but crappy software. Plus now I hear that for their new version 7 of the software, even if the card is a day old, customers have to pay for a dongle? what would you think if you had to pay for a upgrade, when you just bought the card a day or so ago?

Anywhow, Something else came to mind....

what types of cameras are you using? and expecially, what type of lenses with them? I have an issue with some Toshiba's Ik-6400a, with korean lenses, I tried rainbow, and viola.

Rainbows lens are just OEM lens ..probably from taiwan...maybe fifo ..they oem lenses big time.

Yeah, the software upgrade situation blows. I just installed this system yesterday and today the new version comes out.

It's probably a good idea NOT to install the new software just yet anyway. I'm sure 7.01, 7.02, etc. will be just around the corner.

I-HERM biased, no way

Edited by Guest

Right now because of the show its good to wait a couple more weeks for anything to do with CCTV ..

Also,

"Just Say No to the Dongle!!"

The Dongle is BAD, is Crule ..

Send the Dongle back to the Dongelists

Tell the Dongelists to get rid of it ...

Dongelists we no want no dongle dred ...