Sign in to follow this  
PoorOwner

Can you recommend a system for me?

A few differences between a bullet and CS camera that come to mind are:

* No auto iris (an important feature when a camera is used outdoors)

* No backlight control or other types of adjustments

* on many you can't change lenses or adjust the focus

The downside is that the CS cameras are more intrusive and require a housing if used outdoors. The upside of having a housing, however, is that it’s already there if you want to upgrade to a better CS camera in the future.

There’s a place for all types of cameras. But when it comes to versatility, I can’t find a better value than a used B&W CS camera.

Edited by Guest

Some Bullets come with Auto Iris lenses (Provideo). Also you can change the micro lens on any camera.

Only benefits of a Bullet, is Discreat, Price, and ease of install.

Dont expect the same picture as with a Professional Camera.

Rory

..I can’t find a better value than a used B&W CS camera.

a used BW Bullet that you get for free from a clients old system )

kaysadeya, I'm totally with you. I've worked with alot of people on extremely low budget residential systems.. and these are folks with more than a property interest. They are folks with serious concerns for their physical safety. A residential system isn't "just" a residential system. Sure, someone wanting video as an "extra" just in case they are victims of burglary or home invasion is one thing... but someone who is the victim of domestic stalking is another, and a high profile celebrity another, and a high profile executive whose family members are a target for kidnapping, etc. yet another.

As Cooperman said, it is the application first, then you draw down from there.

I understand that sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you've got. I've used the heck out of cheap cameras and other less expensive equipment in a number of applications and will continue to do so mainly in residential and small business applications where the budget is a limiting factor. This "lower end" equipment has its place just as Rory suggests.

Wow, what a great discussion.

I'm not saying my opinion till later on. I want to keep reading

Can you shred some light into the PC vs the standalone issue.

PC is never as stable but can be scheduled to reboot once in a while.

Instead of spending $1000-$1500 I am thinking of running a $99 4 channel card and leaving my computer on.. while I am not home.

I honestly can say I'm not trying to run a bank or store here, maybe it is a good starting point. The chance of actual crime happening might be very very low.

To me $99 is neglectable cost if I get a stand alone later on. But I would like to start monitoring soon and the PC route would let me do so without hurting my wallet too badly.

If you can get a card that will work on your existing computer, then that's probably the best way to start. I was upgrading from a timelapse VCR and was looking for something a bit more powerful. When I was researching PC-based solutions, the GeoVision cards seemed the way to go, but my existing computer (which has plenty of power for most things) was not powerful enough to host a GeoVision card. I calculated the cost of a new computer and the GeoVision card would be more than a dedicated DVR. Plus, I’d need to spend even more for another card to get a real-time display, which is a feature I think most dedicated DVRs have as standard.

On the subject of backyard (and front-yard) deterrence….

PoorOwner, I’m in a worse situation than you with my backyard because there’s no fence on one side and there’s a gap in the fence on the other side. There’s also no fence between the front yard and the backyard. The reason for this is to allow the deer to roam freely through our yard. My wife won’t even consider the idea of fencing our yard, so that’s not an option.

So the objective with my installation is to have a very obvious CCTV presence in the back and side yards, but a low profile in the front. I have five standard cameras in housings covering various angles in the back, two standard/housing cameras on one side, and an older B&W bullet covering the other side, which is less exposed to through traffic.

Because we have deer passing through our yard day and night and we want to be good hosts to the deer and not annoy our neighbors, it’s not practical to use motion-activated floods. So I installed two VITEK VT-IR1-110 illuminators, which are perfect for the job. They have a 65 deg spread and two cover the periphery of the backyard very well. When something goes bump-in-the-night, we can check the cameras to see whether it was a deer, raccoon, skunk, or some sort of malicious teenage bipod. Thankfully it’s almost never the latter, but knowing that is the objective.

Keeping a low profile in the front yard is more challenging because that’s where quality images are the most important. In the front, I have two Samsung 721 CS-style day/night cameras in Pelco housings. To make the setup even “louder,â€

Edited by Guest

Well spoken and sounds like your one step ahead. You sound better than some "experts" I've encountered.

2M CCTV (www.2mcctv.com) is where I bought my system. I found this company to have almost every brand of CCTV products. They also sell GeoVision PC-based systems which are the best pc-based DVR out there.

The thing I like about 2M CCTV is that they are vey knowledgable and friendly.

They also sell GeoVision PC-based systems which are the best pc-based DVR out there.

Really? I would beg to differ.

We have been using a GEO system for the past year, and it is definitely not the best IMO.

And not to ferget... they use the 'Better Digital Surveillance System' and NOT the 'Best Digital Surveillance System'

Have you seen the diebold setup? Eight cameras into a switcher and a time lapse. One frame every eight seconds.

haha...Yep Thomas I have seen it, and I have also seen the invoice for that setup.

Come on people, who can trust their security issue to be handled by the same people that made the voting machines? (unless your last name is Bush)

scottj

Diebold doesn't really make anything. They aquire companies that make products and they just rebadge. But it's one of those things that the banks just want to one vender as much as possible.