magohn

Netgear FS726TP switch - dropping cameras...

Hello all,

I am having a network issue with my CCTV system. I am using PC based software to run 7 IP cameras, 6 cameras are 640x480 resolution and one camera is megapixel at 1280x720.

Up until I added the megapixel camera I experienced rock-solid performance with all cameras running to a Netgear FS726TP switch. Since adding the megapixel camera, 2 of the existing cameras drop connection to the switch and I have to reboot the switch to get the cameras online.

As the cameras are IP cameras (non-reliant on the PC to work individually),I am assuming that the issue is with settings in the switch because I cannot access the individual IP cameras viewing/settings page after the drop. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look to fix this issue?

After a switch reboot everything works perfectly for 12-15 hours and then at least one camera drops connection - always the same camera(s) drop the connection.

Thanks much.

personally, I'll look into power consumption first.

are they all working on POE from the switch?

Thanks for your reply - however, only the megapixel cam is running POE - any other ideas?

Thanks for all your replies:

This system has "evolved" over the passed two years from a single camera in a window to the following:

2 Sharx IP Cams

1 Axis 215 PTZ

1 Chinese no-name IP (Foscam clone)

Acti 1231 - megapixel (only mega on network) - only cam using POE.

As I stated, everything has been rock solid for months with no dropped connections. However, a few days ago I added the Acti 1231 to the system and now the Chinese cam and one of the Sharx has become unreliable in terms of keeping a connection. If I reboot the switch all the cams come back to life and stay active for 12 hours or so - but then the Chinese cam or/and the one particular Sharx drop the connection and stay dropped until I reboot the switch.

All cams are wired - any suggestions welcome!

Well, I have a thought...

The 726 is a managed switch. Is it set to disconnect or drop a connection when the bitrate (whatever value is set) has been exceeded? I'm wondering if maybe the imported camera has a small compression rate and a lot of movement is making the filesize/bitrate skyrocket in turn making the switch drop that connection.

My 2 cents anyway..

Erron,

THANK YOU so much. I changed the bandwidth port setting from "Auto" to the max available for all ports and the system has been up for 24 hours now without a drop - I usually get a drop within a few hours . I'm very hopeful ...

Thanks to all!

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with a Netgear FS728TP (basically same specs except it is 24 Port POE). I believe that this may be the issue as well but I am not sure where to change this setting can you help?

I had that problem when running some IQeye-cameras (IQ4) on Milestone. The problem was solved when I finally got the correct device pack in Milestone and the correct supported firmware-version in the cameras. When the cameras 'died' in Milestone they also was not accessible thru the webserver. I had to reboot the cameras and they would run for some 12-15 hours and then it all repeated again.