nancyh1980

Static IP to Free DDNS

My neighbor has a PC based DVR with Static IP. Yesterday, I converted it to a free DDNS stand-along DVR. Tech support from AT&T and from the DVR maker were "it is their issue". After being on the phone with them for combined (4) hours, I used the static IP and now the DVR is working perfectly.

The issue my neighbor, who is on fixed income, no longer wants to pay for the static IP fee ($30 down here).

Would it be easier if my neighbor disconnects the static IP before my return?

What steps should I take to accomplish this?

Thanks for your expertise.

If I understand the question correctly, have your neighbor contact their ISP and drop the static IP and replace it with a dynamic IP saving the monthly upcharge. Any DDNS service will track the changing dynamic IP without difficulty for this application.

DDNS might be a bit less reliable that Static IP, however in most cases it certainly does it's job.

It might take a while for DDNS to change binded address so if there's difficulties DO NOT reboot modem/router too often because it causes DDNS service to stuck with an old IP

also, there's some routers which won't update DDNS properly under certain conditions, so you should check what is external IP address of the network DVR is on (you could use http://whatismyip.com) and that ping your DDNS domain from another network to see whether IP addresses are the same

Recommendation. Load the DDNS updater program into your PC-DVR and forget about using the modem/router's updater. Less problems and more reliable.

huh? and the question was...?

Sorry I am confused my self.

Doing this as a favor for the neighbor.

Prior to my arrival, he has static IP with PC-DVR. That PC-DVR went bad.

His CCTV company sent him a stand-alone DVR that offers FREE DDNS. The tech never showed up.

I came in and replaced the broken PC-DVR with the FREE DDNS stand-alone DVR.

Between AT&T and DVR tech support, I was not able to get the Stand-alone DVR to work without the Static IP.

Neighbor wants to remove Static IP because he now has Free DDNS.

When I return, what is the quickest way to change from Static IP to Free DDNS? As mentioned, I tried for (4) hours and was NOT successful.

Thanks

"When I return, what is the quickest way to change from Static IP to Free DDNS?"

I don't know what "Free DDNS" means. Probably it's some gimmick of local dealer and should not be used anyway.

1 - go to http://dyndns.com or http://no-ip.com

these are reliable companies offering miscellaneous DNS services, including free Dynamic DNS

2 - Sign up for an account on one of the sites

3 - Make sure you have a decent router or make your neighbor buy one. I myself prefer Linksys.

4 - In the router configuration panel configure DDNS service

5 - call AT&T and tell them to change your neighbor's account to Dynamic IP

[quote name="nancyh1980His CCTV company sent him a stand-alone DVR that offers FREE DDNS. The tech never showed up.

Between AT&T and DVR tech support' date=' I was not able to get the Stand-alone DVR to work without the Static IP.

When I return, what is the quickest way to change from Static IP to Free DDNS? As mentioned, I tried for (4) hours and was NOT successful.

Thanks[/quote]

What model "Free Stand-Alone DVR" did they give your neighbor? Maybe then we can give you more relevent info.

huh? and the question was...?

Sorry I am confused my self.

Doing this as a favor for the neighbor.

Prior to my arrival, he has static IP with PC-DVR. That PC-DVR went bad.

His CCTV company sent him a stand-alone DVR that offers FREE DDNS. The tech never showed up.

Between AT&T and DVR tech support, I was not able to get the Stand-alone DVR to work without the Static IP.

Thanks

if the dvr came with free ddns. then just post which dvr it is and we can help you set it up.