tcssystem

fiber optic or RG6???

for 30 units camera located 400meter away from dvr... is fiber converter the best solution or direct cable RG6??talk about further expansion, maintenance or troubleshooting...

Not having worked with fiber myself, I can't offer any specific experience on maintenance and troubleshooting, but just off the cuff:

Fiber tends to be spendy, but 30x400m of copper (12km total!) will add up quickly as well. You could use a couple of 15-pair-or-more multicore cables with baluns, but even that will add up fast.

Fiber will certainly leave you more expandability, since you'll be able to run IP over it as well, should you start to migrate to that in the future. It should have more capacity for additional analog cameras, too.

for 30 units camera located 400meter away from dvr... is fiber converter the best solution or direct cable RG6??talk about further expansion, maintenance or troubleshooting...

If you has money for first step, use fiber (y)

About maintenance - with fiber you will not got any lightening problems, thats the main thing. Second, fiber transmission widely used for all types of signals, so, you can use that lines not only for analog cameras transmission.

If you has money for first step, use fiber (y)

About maintenance - with fiber you will not got any lightening problems, thats the main thing. Second, fiber transmission widely used for all types of signals, so, you can use that lines not only for analog cameras transmission.

How about move the DVR to the camera location and only transmit monitor outputs + control?

ilke

I believe CAT5 with active baluns should do the trick.

What solution did you employ btw ?

if you use fiber be sure to use the outdoor rated or direct bury. Fiber will give you a huge pipe I would run at least 12 strand even if you are only going to use a couple of strands. I know there are some converters out there that will let you run multiple cameras over a single fiber. If you need only a pair terminate 2 pair as a failure or need to add and additional service is much quicker to deal with.

Personally, I would keep the DVR(s) as centrally located to the analog cameras as possible and stick with the shortest runs of copper as possible. There's no point in running fiber to each individual camera unless you are using some super bandwidth hungry IP camera or are in an environment where the security requirements are so stringent the customer is worried about tapping or piggybacking. If you are wiring up a large campus where distance between each building/node is large, I would use IP cameras with copper runs to the switch in each building and fiber to the central monitoring and storage location for bandwidth and reliability issues. And don't forget to use plenum cable. You will also have to consider the cost of termination and converters on each end of the fiber run. Also, keep in mind that each node/building would need its own backup power system as I have seen great installations neglecting this simple protection and are extremely vurnerable to power outages or malicious shutdowns. So, the bottom line is to keep it as simple as possible to minimise costs. Fiber is great in the right application, but one must factor in all costs associated with properly deploying a bulletproof system.

A third option would be coax or single twisted-pair transport using either the Veracity HIGHWIRE product (http://www.veracityglobal.com/) or the Vigitron MaxiiCopper Ethernet Extenders (http://www.vigitron.com/categoryproductdetails.aspx?idcategory=12). Either one adds about $300 per channel to the cost of IP cameras and cable and can extend the distance for IP over copper to as far as 5,000 feet (1,680 meters).