rory

Laptop wont shut down

ive even repartitioned and formated and even in windows XP setup, when it goes torestart it wont ... have to push the power button .. now the client said they had all new parts put in and the toshiba people said it had to be windows ... anyway, its obviously not ... any ideas? bad hardware? bios upgrade? if so where to get the bios for the toshiba laptops??

thanks

rory

thanks, I went through it but nothing on shut down, besides what I have seen already on google. The thing is it isnt software as even in DOS/Windows setup, it wouldnt shut down. Basically it runs fine, just wont shut down, or restart. Maybe a bad BIOS or something to do with power management in the bios?

I have a similar problem with my Toshiba laptop. Happens every once in a while, but like yours, it won't shut down and I need to hold down the power button. Doesn't happen enough times for me to track down the problem. When you find the solution, wanna post it? Good luck.

I seem to see the most trouble with HP software running in the background, holding up reboots/shutdowns. But even those programs eventually error out.

So to confirm what you are seeing, when you choose the restart option, it just goes back to the desktop?

Can I assume you didn't install any software after the winxp reinstall? You did say that even in windows setup it wasn't able to restart so that makes that question's answer moot I guess...

I wonder if there is a power setting in bios holding this back somehow. There is a small problem in xp sometimes if you have the ACPI (or is it APCI?) power setting active, when you shut down you get a 'it is now safe to turn off your computer' vs just turning off. Not sure how that saves energy, but disabling that hidden setting in hardware control panel fixes it.

Not totally relevant to your issue, but I guess I would focus on bios settings. Either go back to bios defaults, or see if Toshiba has an updated bios for that model.

-WC-

Yeah, looked at the bios already. that was actually the first thing i did, reset to defaults. Basically they have a lame bios with no options, no power options at all. Power was also opne of the first things I looked into. I even cleaned up the previous OS and had it clean and running great, bnut still after everything would not shut down or restart, just locked up. Had to back up 4GB of the clients data ... reload windows and still doing it .. oh well, must be a bad mobo or something, its not new, its a 1.4Ghz, runs smooth but yah know ..

YEah it happens even when trying to restart in windows XP setup, from the DOS mode, blue screen setup ... basically it just locks up and does nothing until you power down manually.

http://www.knoppix.org/

It's a live CD, so you boot, give it a moment and you have a working system that is working from the ram rather then the HD. So you can have Win XP installed, put a live CD in, reboot and you're in Linux. Remove the CD and reboot and you're back in Win XP with out the drive having been touched. It's great for diganostics like troubleshooting hardware.

You might have something wrong in the motherboard, bios setup.

nope wasnt that, but thanks ..

already gave back to the owner ..

Its just an old Laptop.

Did you try the advanced features tab in the Power Options in the Control Panel?

yeah there was nothing there

bios was so limited it had no power section also ..