Wonderer

How to link to camera some 500m away

Hi

I'm new to this forum and to the CCTV subject and would appreciate some suggestions on how I can set up a camera at the entrance to our smallholding and link it to a desktop computer (currently using XP). We have an internet connection and the computer is connected wirelessly via a router. We are located in the UK.

The distance between the computer and the siting of the proposed camera is around 300-400 meters as the crow flies and maybe 400-500 if wired.

I expect this is going to cost an arm and a leg to do? Over to you experts...

Dang, thats a long way. Is there any power source that you can power the camera closer to the cameras location?

Not really, unless I involve a neighbour which would prove somewhat complicated. I could site a heavy duty battery (probably 12v) close to the camera - what sort of voltage do they run on?

12V DC or 24 VAC. The only problem is, what would you do when the battery runs out? It would be a pain to constantly recharge.

Besides the power trying to reach that far, I also think you will have problems with a video signal going that far. Perhaps some Cat5 or fibre guys on this board can help you on that. I am strictly a coax guy and I think that may be a little out of reach for coax.

There are a number of ways to do this, but you're right, none will be particularly cheap (maybe just an arm and a few toes).

You could do an analog camera over UTP using quality baluns... but with analog, you'd need a capture device of some sort in your PC (and really, for security recording, a dedicated PC is highly recommended). A dual-voltage (12VDC/24VAC) camera should work alright at that distance if you feed it from a 28VAC power supply with sufficient wire gauge (might even get away with three of the four pairs in a Cat5e, or better yet, Cat6, which is larger gauge).

You could use an IP camera with the aid of ethernet-over-coax adapters as well, many of which extend ethernet's range beyond 100m. This one, for example, claims to support ethernet AND power up to 1km over coax: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=704&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

You could also go wireless using a number of different relatively-low-cost WiFi setups (lots of people here use Nanostation), but you'd still need to power the camera and the transmitter.

Hi

I'm new to this forum and to the CCTV subject and would appreciate some suggestions on how I can set up a camera at the entrance to our smallholding and link it to a desktop computer (currently using XP). We have an internet connection and the computer is connected wirelessly via a router. We are located in the UK.

The distance between the computer and the siting of the proposed camera is around 300-400 meters as the crow flies and maybe 400-500 if wired.

I expect this is going to cost an arm and a leg to do? Over to you experts...

if you can run coax cable to were you are locating the camera. then you will have no problem using a VDS video sender. i have used many and they are good for 8-900m and they are not expensive at all ...... this gives your power/video/and sound down 1 coax cable and you can use any standard cctv camera.

if you can run coax cable to were you are locating the camera. then you will have no problem using a VDS video sender. i have used many and they are good for 8-900m and they are not expensive at all ...... this gives your power/video/and sound down 1 coax cable and you can use any standard cctv camera.

Sweet. And that will work with a 24 VAC power supply at a straight shot of 8-900M? Which model do you use?

There are a number of ways to do this, but you're right, none will be particularly cheap (maybe just an arm and a few toes).

You could do an analog camera over UTP using quality baluns... but with analog, you'd need a capture device of some sort in your PC (and really, for security recording, a dedicated PC is highly recommended). A dual-voltage (12VDC/24VAC) camera should work alright at that distance if you feed it from a 28VAC power supply with sufficient wire gauge (might even get away with three of the four pairs in a Cat5e, or better yet, Cat6, which is larger gauge).

You could use an IP camera with the aid of ethernet-over-coax adapters as well, many of which extend ethernet's range beyond 100m. This one, for example, claims to support ethernet AND power up to 1km over coax: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=704&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

You could also go wireless using a number of different relatively-low-cost WiFi setups (lots of people here use Nanostation), but you'd still need to power the camera and the transmitter.

I don't think the Gem IPC-0801 can run Ethernet and power up to 1km, if only Ethernet over coax, it makes sense. With POE, 200-300Meters should be the max. distance. Just my personal opinion, better double check with Gem's sales.