CCTVINSTALLER

finding computer IP

Im trying to find out the IP of my Geovsion system so i can forward to correct ports to the computer.

When i open cmd and type in ipconfig, the cmd screen just disappears. Ive done this like a million times with no probs but getting no luck with this particular system. The computer network is using DHCP so dont know any other way to find out the IP. Any ideas?

tried opening COMMAND PROMPT in the accessories folder?

Or direct IE to ...

http://www.whatismyip.com/

if there is no IE, open My Computer, type it into the ADDRESS and hit the ENTER key ..

Rory

It sounds like you are typing "ipconfig" in the "Run" box before you have a command window open. You need to make sure you are in an open "Dos Prompt" window before you type "ipconfig." Otherwise, it will open the window, run ipconfig, and then close the window and you will never see the results.

What version of Windows are you running?

im using win xp pro sp2. Im not sure exactly what the problem was, my tech guy was onsite this morning and he said as soon as he hit enter, a black screen would show up and then disappear. fdan i think you're right in saying 'ipconfig' is being entered directly in the run box rather than a command prompt. Thanks, wasted nearly an hour on the phone this morning, at least now i know what the problem was!!! Damn, need some new engineers!!

I occassionally have the problem of the cmd screen blinking out also. When that happens I open the command prompt another way.

Try this: Start-->all programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt.

Then just go ahead and do the ipconfig as usual.

OR- open your router's setup page and view the "DHCP Clients" table. Match the computer name to the listed 192.168.1.x IP.

I will try to go through the router next time. Quick question, is it feasible to use DHCP for CCTV networking? the remote function of our cctv system suddenly stopped working today and found out today the customer had some IT guys over who took out the patch lead for the CCTV system and inserted it into another port in the patch panel. So the IP address of the DVR changed and so the ports were being forwarded to the incorrect IP.

I would assign the DVR a Static IP address regardless of whether you are using DHCP in the router or not. Some routers have a Static DHCP section that you can choose to use if you wish, but I would personally stick to just assigning the machine the IP under the Network Properties pages. This will save you some headache.

scottj

To bad you can't run the DVR systems on Macintosh.

OS X - No known viruses to date

Yah, but that's only because, no one wants to take the time to write a virus for a dedicated Photoshop machine...

1 Known trojan, and one bit of Malware (not a true virus, no way to spread itself beyond sharing via Limewire). It's pretty slick, I got my wife one of the Powerbooks for her graduation gift.

I have an iBook and 2 iMacs.

My sister has 2 or 3 PowerBooks and 1 or 2 PowerMacs (Photography business).

My dad has an iMac, an old iBook and a PowerMac.

We all love 'em.

I knew I would get a rise out of the Mac guys by pokin a little fun at them... always so sensative....

anyway I know macs are good for what they are designed for... photoshop and graphic design

What i did't like about mac was the high price parts and high cost of purchasing new, otherwise they are good machines...

I found this little movie a while ago, I don't know if any of you have seen it, but it is really funny...

http://www.roosterteeth.com/archive/

it is the RvB_Switch.mov Enjoy!

whats wrong with DOS ..

looks better than the mac OS

runs faster than the windows OS

yah know i only playin dred ...

I told myself I wouldn't jump into the fray, but since I started this whole thing, here goes:

Windows is clearly dominant and probably will be for a long time. As much as I love my Macs and hate to admit it, Windows can be mostly secured if users will do just a few smart things. In all honesty, I have rarely had serious virus issues on a PC.

Linux is OK if you are a hard-core computer person, but is simply NOT ready for the mainstream. It is not easy to setup and runs into more difficulty with printers and such. This is, in my opinion, the achilles heel of open source. Nobody is responsible and thus it is easy for things to fall into the cracks.

Mac OS X is considered by many to be the most secure operating system, but it only runs on Apple hardware. As such, it has a limited ability for OS growth. In my experience most (not all) people who despise Macs have not tried one, especially recently.

When all is said and done, as much as I love my Macs I still work (and program) in a Windows world and that is not likely to change anytime soon.

Just my 2 cents.

I have used Macs and despise them. They make good door stops, though.

Windows can be mostly secured if users will do just a few smart things.
Not true. Alot of security issues are out of the users control.

Linux is OK if you are a hard-core computer person, but is simply NOT ready for the mainstream.
So very true.

Just my 2 cents.

Not true. Alot of security issues are out of the users control.

Naw, a good firewall and not using IE or Outlook (or even just having Outlook setup safely) is enough for most users. But Windows does need a better way to set up non-admin users that works. I don't get the Mac despising though. [/i]

I use:

start

run

cmd

ipconfig /all >>c:\IP.txt

Then you get a text file with the info incase you need it later.