cappy

CCTV setup for taking pictures of plants

Hello,

I’m not even sure that this is the right forum for this but maybe somebody can steer me in the right direction, keep in mind that I’m a tech tard.

I have plants in my garage, 5 of them for now but might be 10 needed eventually and im looking for the simplest solution that I can setup camera’s in front of each plant and have a picture taken every hour/day that I can set myself and the pictures are uploaded to a folder on my web server.

5 camera’s (video not required)

Each camera needs to ftp the still captures to a separate folder on my server witch I will call images via a php script.

Day/night vision.

Preferably a usb solution so I don’t need to install hardware and can be setup by somebody with my low skill level.

Appreciate any help/recommendations..

Thanks

I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to the various types of cameras, but I would assume that you're in the right place. What you need is a surveillance like camera and this is what the forum is about. I would think that all you would have to do is alter the settings to take a snapshot every hour. Call a retailer and inquire about what cameras can do that job.

If you already have a camera, you can perhaps take the footage and cut it in a video editing program -- thus extracting a frame of footage. Hope this was any sort of help. Good luck!

I don't think they make cameras which are FTP capable

My suggestion to you here is that you get some cameras which will auto snapshot at a given time (or software which does it for you) which then saves it to a certain location. You would then need to write a script or set up your PC to do the uploads yourself. Cameras are good these days but I don't think you'll find an FTP server in one of them.

My suggestion to you here is that you get some cameras which will auto snapshot at a given time (or software which does it for you) which then saves it to a certain location. You would then need to write a script or set up your PC to do the uploads yourself. Cameras are good these days but I don't think you'll find an FTP server in one of them.

IP cameras will. I know Axis,Mobotix, Sanyo can upload to a FTP server.

Edited by Guest

Many IP cameras can upload images via ftp. Axis and Panasonic both make cameras with this feature. The Axis implementation (in recent firmware releases) is far more useful because it can create folders on the fly based on date and time stamp. The Panasonic 502 can upload via ftp, but only to one folder, and performance will suffer if one folder has thousands of image files. I have used ftp with the Axis 223M and 207M. I expect most Axis camera models (and video encoders) have similar implementations.

Best,

Christopher

Hello,

I’m not even sure that this is the right forum for this but maybe somebody can steer me in the right direction, keep in mind that I’m a tech tard.

I have plants in my garage, 5 of them for now but might be 10 needed eventually and im looking for the simplest solution that I can setup camera’s in front of each plant and have a picture taken every hour/day that I can set myself and the pictures are uploaded to a folder on my web server.

5 camera’s (video not required)

Each camera needs to ftp the still captures to a separate folder on my server witch I will call images via a php script.

Day/night vision.

Preferably a usb solution so I don’t need to install hardware and can be setup by somebody with my low skill level.

Appreciate any help/recommendations..

Thanks

IQEye cameras will do exactly this. I just tested it with an IQ511, but the day/night models like the IQ753 should work pretty much the same: it can FTP images on motion trigger, or on a pre-set schedule. It provides a number of variables that allow you to define the folder and file names used; default is /cameraname/date/time_imagename.jpg

516147-1028201065513am.png

These settings upload an image every 15 minutes... check them out at http://www.moltenimage.com/IQEYE030D8E/

They're IP cameras, so there's no hardware needed... the catch is, they're not exactly cheap...