16 camera megapixel system with a mix of 3 and 1.3 megapixel cameras. NVR will be server and client

1. Hardware or software compression type VMS. What do you like ? (eg: exacq)

2. CPU processor (core i7, quad core, atom) which one.

3. Internal hard drives or nuuo, qnap type nas.

4. Video card for monitoring via large lcd

thanks in advance

16 camera megapixel system with a mix of 3 and 1.3 megapixel cameras. NVR will be server and client

thanks in advance

1. Exacq does not perform the compression; the cameras perform the compression and Exacq stores the streams to disk.

2. You won't need too much horsepower.

3. Use an internal hard drive(s). It's fast, reliable, and cheap.

4. On board video may be fine, or cheap reliable video card.

Best,

Christopher

Are you a dealer or end user? There are so many options for VMS your gonna have to figure out what features you want first before you start spec'ing server requirements.

dealer and end user. I am specifically dealing with small to medium sized business and residential apps. I need a easy to use meat and potatoes software. I currently sell and install the new line of samsung products SRD series dvr. They are great. But analogue leaves alot to be desired with resolution. I have no problems putting my own machines together if that is a more economical route. Without trading quality of product vs the manufacturers products. I'd like to use 2 and 3 mega outside and 1.3 mega inside. But for obvious reasons the software need only record and be easily accessible for the business owner or home owner. Too many complications and options and the phone calls never end.

also will the software rescale the video size when viewing remotely. I don't want to get into a situation where someone is searching for video remotely and the interface is reacting slowly to commands or playback. Obviously internet connection is good. 3-5 mbps upload on most of my sites.

please name a software

Edited by Guest

Are you a dealer or end user? There are so many options for VMS your gonna have to figure out what features you want first before you start spec'ing server requirements.

dealer and end user. I am specifically dealing with small to medium sized business and residential apps. I need a easy to use meat and potatoes software. I currently sell and install the new line of samsung products SDR series dvr. They are great. But analogue leaves alot to be desired with resolution. I have no problems putting my own machines together if that is a more economical route. Without trading quality of product vs the manufacturers products. I'd like to use 2 and 3 mega outside and 1.3 mega inside. But for obvious reasons the software need only record and be easily accessible for the business owner or home owner. Too many complications and options and the phone calls never end.

also will the software rescale the video size when viewing remotely. I don't want to get into a situation where someone is searching for video remotely and the interface is reacting slowly to commands or playback. Obviously internet connection is good. 3-5 mbps upload on most of my sites.

please name a software

What is your budget?

Have you ever installed IP or MP before?

You will need a computer with a good CPU for a client/server setup with MP cameras and remote viewing recorded video will be painfully slow. Exacq has a webclient for remote viewing which trans-codes the video but this does you no good when you what to pull the full recorded images and search remotely. Milestone might be a better option if your looking view recorded footage remotely but it's more money and not as easy to use for the end user. I would recommend you download demo software from different VMS providers and see what best fits your needs for your customers.

Edited by Guest

dealer and end user. I am specifically dealing with small to medium sized business and residential apps. I need a easy to use meat and potatoes software. I currently sell and install the new line of samsung products SDR series dvr. They are great. But analogue leaves alot to be desired with resolution. I have no problems putting my own machines together if that is a more economical route. Without trading quality of product vs the manufacturers products. I'd like to use 2 and 3 mega outside and 1.3 mega inside. But for obvious reasons the software need only record and be easily accessible for the business owner or home owner. Too many complications and options and the phone calls never end.

please name a software

What is your budget?

Have you ever installed IP or MP before?

my budget dependant on wether I can convince the customer the extra resolution is worth the costs. I believe it is. $8000 for an analogue system that can't identify is worthless. better to spend another $5000. Right?

never installed mp before but Im sure i can handle it. The problem is with all the marketing and system types I am having a hard time going in direction. I really only want higher resolution system with the functions of a good ol dvr.

thanks in advance

1. Exacq does not perform the compression; the cameras perform the compression and Exacq stores the streams to disk.

Best,

Christopher

thanks for the response. displaying 16 cameras at once from recording images I'm thinking I would need at least core i7...no?

my budget dependant on wether I can convince the customer the extra resolution is worth the costs. I believe it is. $8000 for an analogue system that can't identify is worthless. better to spend another $5000. Right?

If you can afford it, and also remember to get Infrared or add alot of lighting outside for the MP which will not see near as much under low light.

Otherwise, perhaps look at better DVRs and cameras, and by better that means something that does not cost $8,000 and CAN identify a suspect. Ignore all the recent marketing hype that one can only identify a suspect by using MP cameras as that total BS, we have been doing so without them for years now. MP is nice but its not for every application.

If you can afford it, and also remember to get Infrared or add alot of lighting outside for the MP which will not see near as much under low light.

Otherwise, perhaps look at better DVRs and cameras, and by better that means something that does not cost $8,000 and CAN identify a suspect. Ignore all the recent marketing hype that one can only identify a suspect by using MP cameras as that total BS, we have been doing so without them for years now. MP is nice but its not for every application.

great points. I agree. Marketing statement was that everyones everything is better than the next guy or " my standard of centralised or de centralised is a better concept." but a analogue dvr still only has 704x480 res. I don't even have the option for higher. I'd rather have system with cheap 1.3 mega cube cameras for inside and then have an option for outdoor higher mega. do you have any experience with the Samsung SRD series?

thanks in advance

Best,

Christopher

thanks for the response. displaying 16 cameras at once from recording images I'm thinking I would need at least core i7...no?

Yes you are correct.... You will need a good CPU for a client/server setup to display multiple megapixel cameras

great points. I agree. Marketing statement was that everyones everything is better than the next guy or " my standard of centralised or de centralised is a better concept." but a analogue dvr still only has 704x480 res. I don't even have the option for higher. I'd rather have system with cheap 1.3 mega cube cameras for inside and then have an option for outdoor higher mega. do you have any experience with the Samsung SRD series?

True. Analog is max 720x480 though NTSC, just the 8 pixels on either side are not always useful so some DVRs will crop it, D1 cropped or 4CIF is 704x480. Another option is to get a hybrid, as in many cases for example a small staff kitchen, one normally wouldn't need more than a low res 400TVL camera in there, and if one wants a camera outside to see in low light, and not spend a fortune, eg they dont need to see the pimple on the suspect's face or the ant crawling on the ground, then thats another place one could save money. I agree the indoor cube 1.3's are not expensive, just need the light for them and good to go. Also depends on the type of customers in your area.

But as for the Samsung SRD, not directly, though Ive briefly tested their Net-I ware software on my computer and its one of those apps I personally would stay clear of. Other than that the DVR specs themselves are very similar to those of the Dahua stand alone DVRs down to how many connected users are allowed, to the HDMI, to the dual stream (one being useless QCIF or CIF) and other specs. Not saying they are the same though as many of the DVRs coming out of China these days have almost the identical specs, but I didnt think these were made in China, but then who knows. Only thing is the Dahua DVRs are about 1/10th the cost of the Samsung units. Ofcourse though you get the Samsung name and warranty.

If spending that kind of money though, Id probably just go with the exacq models. Never used them myself but what I did see on youtube from them looked impressive, and they come highly recommended. Ofcourse there are alot of good products out there today, and more to come in the future.

If you want a ready-to-go system without the need to build your own machine, take a look at Vigil (www.3xlogic.com). DVR/HDVR/NVR all use the same software, in the same interface, so there's no learning curve for users if you decide to start with an analog or hybrid setup and move to IP later. 3xLogic also sell Hikvision IP cams (under their own Vigil name) with a utility that makes for easy setup and configuration.

If spending that kind of money though, Id just go with the exacq models one time. Never used them myself but what I did see on youtube from them looked impressive, and they come highly recommended.

Hybrid is the best way to go and the ELS boxes are very good. http://www.exacq.com/products/exacqvisionELS.html

Are the hard drives in the ELS boxes user upgradeable? Can you simply swap out, say a 250GB, with your own 2TB? Can these also read/write standard NAS shares (non iSCSI)?

If spending that kind of money though, Id just go with the exacq models one time. Never used them myself but what I did see on youtube from them looked impressive, and they come highly recommended.

Hybrid is the best way to go and the ELS boxes are very good. http://www.exacq.com/products/exacqvisionELS.html

Are the hard drives in the ELS boxes user upgradeable? Can you simply swap out, say a 250GB, with your own 2TB? Can these also read/write standard NAS shares (non iSCSI)?

Not end user upgradeable and iSCSI.

Are there any build-your-own NVR VMS applications that support some sort of trigger/alarm I/O card or USB device? I don't think that Exacq does.

Best,

Christopher

Are there any build-your-own NVR VMS applications that support some sort of trigger/alarm I/O card or USB device? I don't think that Exacq does.

Best,

Christopher

Exacq supports the new axis network i/o device with 8 in/outs... also most IP cameras have built-in I/o triggers

Exacq supports the new axis network i/o device with 8 in/outs...

Yes, the Axis P8221 Audio I/O unit. It attaches to the LAN and supports the laundry list of Ethernet protocols, which is nice, but comes at a cost of $350 for 8 I/O ports. A USB I/O device would cost perhaps $25.

also most IP cameras have built-in I/o triggers

Yes, that's an option too, but the cameras are scattered, and the triggers may have no relation to the cameras, which means additional wiring to get a trigger out to the camera just so the VMS application will recognize the event. For my own site, I happen to be using a Q7404, so I can use that, but I'm trying to design a more robust solution for other sites that won't have a Q7404. Using camera triggers and additional wiring may be the most cost effective with Exacq. Do other VMS applications support an I/O device that is, say, less than $100?

Best,

Christopher

I wouldn't say an i7 is needed. I've used i5's with 4 gig of DDR3 and 20-30 x MPs without too much fuss as long as you only use it as an NVR.

I've also used AMD X4's to the same effect. Wouldn't go below those to be fair though as it starts to get a mite laggy.

FWIW in order to fit into budgetary constraints I do have a Core 2 Duo running 25 x 1.3MPs. It required a LOT of tweaking of the cameras to get that to run efficiently... but it works.

Dependent on how long you want to record for and if you're ROM or always recording. 2TB minimum. I'd go with 4 though since the drives are pretty cheap these days.

Finally in terms of hardware, onboard video will do fine.

----

In terms of software, I prefer NUUO over the Geovision software. Never used Exacq. Licensing wise, I think GV is a more cost effective solution (at least is Aus) because if you use their cameras, you don't even need a license where as NUUO charge the same amount per channel irrespective of whether you have 1 or 100. Milestone is ridiculously expensive to expand.

That's my take from Aus anyways.

I wouldn't say an i7 is needed. I've used i5's with 4 gig of DDR3 and 20-30 x MPs without too much fuss as long as you only use it as an NVR.

I've also used AMD X4's to the same effect. Wouldn't go below those to be fair though as it starts to get a mite laggy.

FWIW in order to fit into budgetary constraints I do have a Core 2 Duo running 25 x 1.3MPs. It required a LOT of tweaking of the cameras to get that to run efficiently... but it works.

Dependent on how long you want to record for and if you're ROM or always recording. 2TB minimum. I'd go with 4 though since the drives are pretty cheap these days.

Finally in terms of hardware, onboard video will do fine.

----

In terms of software, I prefer NUUO over the Geovision software. Never used Exacq. Licensing wise, I think GV is a more cost effective solution (at least is Aus) because if you use their cameras, you don't even need a license where as NUUO charge the same amount per channel irrespective of whether you have 1 or 100. Milestone is ridiculously expensive to expand.

That's my take from Aus anyways.

Even the new Essential series? I just added a couple of additional channels to an existing Milestone system, and they only charged me for the additional licenses.

Are you talking about the Enterprise-grade?