AVInstaller

Any benefit of using Gigabit switches vs. Ethernet switches?

any benefit of using Gigabit poe switches vs. Ethernet poe switches for 3-4 mobotix ip cameras?......Ive been wiring my house with Cat 6 cable for the areas I plan to install 3-4 mobotix cameras, and I may attach an NAS to the switch in the future, in case I decide to record the mobotix cameras to the NAS vs. SD card......is there any benefit of using a Gigabit switch to connect the cameras to the network/NAS, or will a regular ethernet switch do just fine?

The cameras are 10/100 and you only have 4 of them so you will not have a problem 10/100 switch.

Here are a could of options for you.

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/smart-switches/FS726TP.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/smart-switches/GS110TP.aspx

This is what we used at Mobotix training

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/unmanaged-desktop-switches/FS108P.aspx

On the same topic, what about routers, is there a reason to use the switch instead, or is a similar router hard to find? Is it just for the POE in this case? I see they have a firewall that has DHCP also and 8 ports, just no POE.

The cameras are 10/100 and you only have 4 of them so you will not have a problem 10/100 switch.

Here are a could of options for you.

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/smart-switches/GS110TP.aspx

This is what we used at Mobotix training

http://www.netgear.com/products/business/switches/unmanaged-desktop-switches/FS108P.aspx

- Any obvious benefits for using the GS110TP vs. the FS108P, short of 4 extra poe outputs?.......It appears that the 110 is partially "managed", vs unmanaged......will there be any noticeable difference for my setup?

Thanks for those links......

- Any obvious benefits for using the GS110TP vs. the FS108P, short of 4 extra poe outputs?.......It appears that the 110 is partially "managed", vs unmanaged......will there be any noticeable difference for my setup?

Thanks for those links......

Only difference is expandability. FS108P only have 4 POE ports where the GS110TP has 8 POE. For your camera count the FS108P will work fine.

any benefit of using Gigabit poe switches vs. Ethernet poe switches for 3-4 mobotix ip cameras?......

"Gigabit ethernet" IS ethernet. What you're really asking is whether there's a benefit to gigabit (10/100/1000 megabit) vs. 10/100 switches. The simple answer is: one is faster.

Ive been wiring my house with Cat 6 cable for the areas I plan to install 3-4 mobotix cameras, and I may attach an NAS to the switch in the future, in case I decide to record the mobotix cameras to the NAS vs. SD card......is there any benefit of using a Gigabit switch to connect the cameras to the network/NAS, or will a regular ethernet switch do just fine?

If you can get the gigabit at a good price point, by all means, give yourself the future expandability. The cameras may only be 10/100, but all that traffic adds up going into the NVR or NAS.

We use this switch on a number of sites: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9968/index.html

It has eight 10/100 PoE ports, perfect for the cameras, and two non-PoE gigabit ports - in our case, we often have the NVR on one, and a NAS on the other. It retails around here for under CDN$300. It's proven to be an outstanding performer for the price.

Only difference is expandability. FS108P only have 4 POE ports where the GS110TP has 8 POE. For your camera count the FS108P will work fine.

I will be using a total of 2 switches.....probably wire cable modem to D-Link Dir-655 wireless router, then use one port out from wireless router to 8 port poe switch, and one port out of the 8 port poe switch to a 5 port regular switch to connect two LAN computers, and one network printer......does that make most sense, or should i run the second switch off of another open port of the dir-655 wireless router that I use?

I will be using a total of 2 switches.....probably wire cable modem to D-Link Dir-655 wireless router, then use one port out from wireless router to 8 port poe switch, and one port out of the 8 port poe switch to a 5 port regular switch to connect two LAN computers, and one network printer......does that make most sense, or should i run the second switch off of another open port of the dir-655 wireless router that I use?

Depends mostly on the physical layout, I'd say, and which way is easiest to cable. With two PCs and one printer, you could just plug all three straight into the router.

For the price difference, I'd probably use a gigabit switch for the five-port, and link that directly back to the router (which also has all gigabit ports). Looking at my usual retailer, for example, a D-Link 5-port 10/100 switch is $28... the 5-port 10/100/1000 is $37.

Depends mostly on the physical layout, I'd say, and which way is easiest to cable. With two PCs and one printer, you could just plug all three straight into the router.

For the price difference, I'd probably use a gigabit switch for the five-port, and link that directly back to the router (which also has all gigabit ports). Looking at my usual retailer, for example, a D-Link 5-port 10/100 switch is $28... the 5-port 10/100/1000 is $37.

Well, I have my 2 computers and network printer in one room, and have just wired a cat 6 wall plate from that room to a closet, where I have my cable modem......I could have the wireless router stay in the room with the computers and connect both computers and printer to the router, then link the router to the 8 port gigabit switch, which would be connected to the modem, or just have everything in the closet, and run one port from either router or 8 port gigabit switch to the room with the comps and printer......I also have a Sonos box connected to my network that needs a port, and most likely gonna buy an NAS to store mobotix footage etc..... The way it sounds, there is no benefit, or issues regardless of how they are connected, as long as all are within the network?

I know some have run a separate subnet for their IP cameras, but with only 4 mobotix 3mp cameras, hopefully I will not have much of an issue

The way it sounds, there is no benefit, or issues regardless of how they are connected, as long as all are within the network?

Essentially, this is correct, at least for a small network like this. The only consideration might be using 10/100 ports for uplinking - for example, if your 8-port switch is 10/100, and your 5-port is gigabit, and you go router -> 8-port -> 5-port, then you limit the connection from the 5-port to anything else to 10/100.

IN OPERATION this may not be an issue... if the PCs are both plugged into the 5-port, then they still have gigabit speeds between them, but if you were, say, to plug the NAS into the switch (with a gigabit port), you'd still only get 10/100 speeds between that and the PCs, because the links between the router and the 8-port switch, and between the 8-port and the 5-port, would be only 10/100. If the 5-port linked straight the the switch in this instance, it would allow full gigabit speeds between the PCs and the NAS.

Of course, if the 8-port switch is all-gigabit, then those concerns are moot. If you were to use the Cisco switch I linked to, you could use the gigabit ports on that for the uplinks to the router and 5-port switch, and eliminate that problem as well.

I know some have run a separate subnet for their IP cameras, but with only 4 mobotix 3mp cameras, hopefully I will not have much of an issue

I wouldn't worry about it too much on this size of setup.

The way it sounds, there is no benefit, or issues regardless of how they are connected, as long as all are within the network?

Essentially, this is correct, at least for a small network like this. The only consideration might be using 10/100 ports for uplinking - for example, if your 8-port switch is 10/100, and your 5-port is gigabit, and you go router -> 8-port -> 5-port, then you limit the connection from the 5-port to anything else to 10/100.

If the PCs are both plugged into the 5-port, then they still have gigabit speeds between them, but if you were, say, to plug the NAS into the switch (with a gigabit port), you'd still only get 10/100 speeds between that and the PCs, because the links between the router and the 8-port switch, and between the 8-port and the 5-port, would be only 10/100. If the 5-port linked straight the the switch in this instance, it would allow full gigabit speeds between the PCs and the NAS.

Of course, if the 8-port switch is all-gigabit, then those concerns are moot. If you were to use the Cisco switch I linked to, you could use the gigabit ports on that for the uplinks to the router and 5-port switch, and eliminate that problem as well.

Matt, if I used an 8 gigabit poe switch such as the TRENDnet Web Smart TPE-80WS Gigabit POE Switch, as well as a TRENDnet TEG-S50G 5 port gigabit switch, I would connect my modem to my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit router, and then each switch (8 port gigabit switch, and 5 port gigabit switch) would connect to a port from my D-link router, or would I run the router---to the----8 port------to the 5 port, or does none of that matter since all are gigabit?.......I am sure the Cisco switch you mentioned may be a better (fanless) product, but the trendnet is all gigabit for future expansion, and about the same price range........any advice to talk me out of the trendnet?

If both switches are gigabit, it doesn't really matter which way you wire it. There is a POTENTIAL limitation, if the backplane of a switch can't handle the combined traffic flowing through it, but with the relatively minimal equipment you're putting on the network, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't have a lot of experience with Trendnet products, but I've found the Cisco/Linksys unit to be a really solid performer.

I skimmed the posts and one issue that may not have been addressed is non-blocking switches. Some hubs and routers may only allow communication between two devices at any given time, thus blocking all other ports during the transfer, whereas intelligent non-blocking switches allow different pairs of ports to communicate simultaneously. One 10 Mbps device can consume significant bandwidth on a blocking hub. I like the HP ProCurve 1400 24G switch for medium sized LANs because it supports up to 48 Gbps bandwidth and it is fanless and therefore completely silent.

Best,

Christopher

- in our case, we often have the NVR on one, and a NAS on the other. It retails around here for under CDN$300. It's proven to be an outstanding performer for the price.

Soundy, Do you mind if I ask you why are you using and NVR with Mobotix, just curious? Are you using MxControl Center at all?

We're not using Mobotix. Never have. We're using mostly IQEye, Arecont, and HIKvision cameras, with Vigil DVRs/NVRs and QNAP NAS arrays.

I started out with 10/100 because I needed the POE. If I had to do it over would have probably bought POE injectors (I think they are around $20 ea) for the few cameras that needed it.

Gigabit w/o POE is pretty inexpensive. With 3x 1.3MP and 9x VGA I am around 70-80Mbps.

Oddly a new "ZT systems" computer I bought to record all this had a 10/100 port, ended up replacing that with a Gigabit port.

As soon as you start streaming movies etc you are going to want the extra on your network. Hope this helps.