Keth

Beginner, Advice on which camera to buy

Hi all, new to the forum!

I've recently had a spate of vandalism directed towards my cars and property and have decided that it is time to get cctv. i have a friend who used to install cctv but is a little out of touch with the best camera to buy these days.

I want a very high quality day/night camera that will be capable of reading number plates of passing cars and clearly seeing people's faces. I just have a small driveway big enough for 2 cars but want to face a camera up the road for number plates.

Any suggestions a much appreciated, thanks all.

What sort of budget do you have in mind for this? Do you already have a recorder, or something specific in mind, or do you need that as well?

A camera to capture your driveway will be fairly easy (and not too expensive). Capturing license plates of cars driving past is another matter, especially if you want to catch them at night.

Hi all, new to the forum!

I've recently had a spate of vandalism directed towards my cars and property and have decided that it is time to get cctv. i have a friend who used to install cctv but is a little out of touch with the best camera to buy these days.

I want a very high quality day/night camera that will be capable of reading number plates of passing cars and clearly seeing people's faces. I just have a small driveway big enough for 2 cars but want to face a camera up the road for number plates.

Any suggestions a much appreciated, thanks all.

hi keth. you would be better protecting your property and not the road. if you are in the uk you will have problems having a camera in a public place. getting number plates is an expensive application. money better spent on your protection of your home. for the front of your home i would look at one of these. it has some very good features . zoom on detection / flash on detection (makes people look were flash came from (image of face) and it does have a good range with ir 70m

-70M range visible in total darkness with 70pcs of IR LEDs & 5~50mm lens

-Supreme Resolution (600TV-Line : Color, 700TV-Line : B/W)

-1/3" COLOR SONY Super HAD CCD Ⅱ : SK-P700IRD/M844AI

-1/3" COLOR SONY WDR CCD : SK-P700IRD/M845AI

-Huviron GenⅡ DSP

-IR LED output level controllable via RS-485 (PELCO-D, PELCO-P)

-3-Axis Bracket for 3D(Pan/Tilt/Roll) rotation

-LWDR or Super WDR, DIS(Digital Image Stabilizer), 3D-DNR, Sense up(256X)

-Day & Night function(ICR)

-Split Glass Technology, Waterproof(IP67)

-Using IR Lens to prevent defocusing(F1.2)

-Fan & Heater for extreme temperature operation

-All controls hidden behind an easy access door

-Multi-language Full OSD support

-12V DC or 24V AC Dual voltage

-MULTI FUNCTION : Lens Shading Compensation, High Light Mask, Motion

Detection, Impact Detection, Privacy Mask, Defect Pixel

Correction, Freeze, Flip(H/V/Both), Digital Zoom

SK-P700IRD/M845AI sunkwang

largeimage.php?ai_id=588

I've been looking at the Dennard 2060. What are people's opinions on this camera?

Keth. that is a big camera for the front of your house. and if you are in the uk i would not waste your money.

putting something that size on the front of your house will only bring more problems. it is ok to protect your own property. but to use something like the Dennard 2060 that will allow you to watch and zoom into public areas and other homes in your area. will just be a waste of money and you will be asked to remove it.

like what has already been said forget trying to see number plates. yes you will see cameras that say they will read number plates and most can IF CAR IS PARKED or moving very slow.

remember a cctv system is a collection of events i.e person entering doing damage or theft / what are they wearing / how many people / colour and make of car /how did they leave and the date and time.

A suitable option will be VIVOTEK IP8332! It has a megapixel quality and you can see the number plates in the night due to the IR cut filter.

The only links I find for this show it around $380usd - that's way out of my budget.

Maplins are selling some highres (analog) cameras dropped from £80 to £60 quid till xmas.

They are 520Lins and after tesing, the angle seems to be near around 90 degress. Excellent cameras

Maplins are selling some highres (analog) cameras dropped from £80 to £60 quid till xmas.

They are 520Lins and after tesing, the angle seems to be near around 90 degress. Excellent cameras

Hi apple maplins cameras are crap. if you are impressed with them go and by a CNB you will lock yourself in a dark room with a box of tissues for a week.

maplins are the low of the low in anything cctv